Notary Rotary
Document Question
Notary Discussion History

Document Question
Go Back to October, 2004 Index

Posted by Public_Notary on 10/14/04 12:33pm
Msg #9822

Document Question

If there is no place to sign on the document, what should be done?

Call the loan officer to ask them why?
Initial the bottom of the page?
Not do the notary?

does anyone what the correct and legal answer?

Reply by Airborne on 10/14/04 12:38pm
Msg #9823

What is the document?

Reply by Public_Notary on 10/14/04 12:41pm
Msg #9824

Actually it was a hypothetical question since I haven't run across any recently but, let's say, an affidavitt.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/14/04 1:24pm
Msg #9827

If it requires a signature or initials it will be indicated. If it's not indicated, don't worry about it.

Reply by Public_Notary on 10/14/04 1:40pm
Msg #9830

Thanks for replying CaliNotary.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 10/14/04 1:24pm
Msg #9828

A notary cannot decide what form of notarization a document requires. It is considered UPL. Any acknowledgment or jurat requires that the document be signed by the signer. If there is no place for a signature on the document, then an ack or jurat cannot be affixed.

You didn't say what state you are in, but I strongly urge you to read and fully understand your notary guide and statutes so you will have a "second nature" understanding of the what is required of a notary public to perform his/her duties as prescribed.

If your state doesn't have a good guide, manual, statutes, etc., then I would suggest getting a copy of Alfred E. Piombino's "Notary Public Handbook - Principles, practices and cases" (National Edition) and read it. It is available from the American Society of Notaries (ASN) at http://www.notaries.org/ for $25.95 (member price of $21.95). Actually, even if your state does have a good manual and training material, I still recommend this book.

Reply by PAW on 10/14/04 1:42pm
Msg #9831

Thanks for the suggestion!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.