Notary Rotary
Making Sure You Get Paid
Notary Discussion History

Making Sure You Get Paid
Go Back to October, 2004 Index

Posted by FNP Services, Inc. - Mobile Notary Services on 10/15/04 8:22am
Msg #9870

Making Sure You Get Paid

I can't help but notice the amoutn of signing agents that are not getting paid. My only question is, why are these SS's even being given 2 months to pay. At the end of 30 days you should start sending Certified letter, if by the end of 60 days you have not received your payment you send another Certified letter requesting payment once again and this time advise them that you are in the process of and building a case for small claims court and that you a filing a complaint with the BBB. Now, according to your situation you may want to adjust the time period to 90 days. The point is, you have to stay on top of these SS's and not let them get away with not paying for 6 months, and by all means, if you have have to take them to small claims court for even $75.00 do it and follow through with it. It will show that we are not going to let them get away with this anymore.

*Disclaimer: This is not intended for use as legal advice. Only my personal opinion, use it as you wish.

Reply by Stephanie/ NorCal on 10/15/04 2:24pm
Msg #9883

I agree about sending certified letters and really cracking down about not being paid. But I think that it should be done after 45 days or so. I understand that after your job has taken place that you expect to be paid.

However, here at the SS I work for we pay all deals completed from the 1-15 of the month on the 20th and everything from the 16th- the end of the month on the 5 of the following month. That is with one exception... Ameriquest. We extend their payment through an extra pay period, sometimes two. BUT NEVER LONGER THAN THAT!!!! We have NEVER NOT PAID OUT NOTARIES, nor do we make you all wait as long as we have to. We would never do that! Ameriquest usually takes about 60-90 days... if not more... and we NEVER make our notaries wait that long. If there are collections to be made then we feel as though that is our job not yours.
Stephanie

Reply by Kathy B. on 10/15/04 3:08pm
Msg #9884

I couldn't agree with you more. I have a SS that has not paid me, just over 30 days old and I am starting the process with them right now. I'm doing the certified letters and will take them to small claims. I have kept all emails sent to me by them. Of great interest to me is the letter posted by Cheryl Elliott on 10/15/03. Excellent letter. I'm concerned about the $200 they owe me, but I would do this process regardless. The question is: how much do YOU value YOUR time and your expert service? What's it worth to you? Mine's worth a great deal!!!!

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/15/04 4:05pm
Msg #9890

I think 30 days might be jumping the gun a bit in some cases. Some companies pay once a month, if I do a signing at the beginning of a month and they cut checks around the 15th of the following month that's 6 weeks or so. Assuming that they're regular about paying on a given date I think it's wise to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think the best thing to do before sending out certified letters and legal threats is simply call the signing service to see what's up. Mistakes do happen and it's definitely best to give them the benefit of the doubt initially.

Personally, I tend to wait until the beginning of a month to see what I'm missing in payments. We're in October so I recently checked my August payments, found out I'm still waiting for one payment, called the signing service, he said he'd get back to me either today or Monday. I have no reason right now to believe that he won't do it and I'm not quite ready to come across as a demanding or panicky notary over this payment. If he doesn't call me by Monday I'll call again on Tuesday. If he says he's sending the check, great. If he delays me again then my attitude will start to change really quickly Smiley

Ultimately, there needs to be some finesse involved in these situations. No sense in killing your chances of any future business over something that might have just been innocently overlooked. I think sending certified payment demand letters after 30 days is a bit heavy handed.

Reply by Cheryl Prince on 10/18/04 7:50am
Msg #9973

I always wait at least 60 days. The first thing I do is fax a copy of the final confirmation of loan closed showing the tracking, whatever their requirements are and the fee promised. I usually get a call regarding this letting me know when the check will be sent and many times the response is an apology and they send it right away. I have yet to be owed money by anyone and I've been doing this for 2 1/2 years. I also stay aware of the companies that don't pay. My rule is that if this is the first time I do a signing for a companyand I have no record of payment history, no website, or any means of finding more out about them, I won't do more than 1 until I see if I get paid. Sometimes you have to go on your gut instinct. There will be those companies that you have to ask for your payment, they don't seem to have a schedule, but be patient and polite and you'll keep a favorable relationship and much more likely to be paid as well as build up a valuable portfolio of clients, provided you're doing the job they expect of you.

Reply by Kathy B on 10/18/04 9:39am
Msg #9976

I did do the signing on Sept 3, and the company has a Net 30 policy. It is now 10/18 and I have refaxed my invoice and about ready to make a phone call. Because the check may not have been cut until 10/15, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. But I emailed them last Thursday, no response, I faxed them again last Friday morning, no response. Odd that they responded to me instantly on the day of the sigings and the following week until the loan closed. Now nothing. I'm patient and professional and will continue to act in that manner because I feel that this business deserves that respect, but I will pursue this until paid. I will not, however, let 6 months to 2 years go by without recourse. Thank you all for your responses, very helpful!!!

Reply by Art_MD on 10/18/04 1:43pm
Msg #9981

There is one or two SS out there that have a payment schedule of "45 days after the end of the following month".... needless to say, I don't do signing for them!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.