New Payment Method
Notary Discussion History

New Payment Method
Go Back to October, 2004 Index

Posted by Robert Lawson on 10/18/04 2:58pm
Msg #9988

New Payment Method

I know that there is nothing new under the sun but I thought of this:

When any of us receive a signing, instead of taking that SS's word, we immediately fax them an invoice that they must sign and fax back to us. The purpose of doing this is to have a signed confirmation of the agreed upon fee(s) BEFORE performing the signing. Making this standard practice might deter those companies that are not interested in paying us because now they have a true sense of accountability, they cannot deny anything because with invoice in hand, you can prove they agreed to pay that amount before the signing was even performed which makes your case a lot stronger.

So if this is standard practice great! But if its not lets make it. Or if any of you more senior notaries see a problem with this I am more than eager to hear your comments... I'm here to absorb all the knowledge I can.

Reply by Roger/OH on 10/18/04 5:04pm
Msg #9997

This is indeed a standard practice (or certainly should be). You should NEVER go to a signing without a confirmation from the ss with your fee on it; most of them are pretty good about faxing or emailing one after they schedule with you; you don't have to fax them an invoice to get a confirmation.

Reply by Jennifer on 10/18/04 9:30pm
Msg #10005

I won't even call the borrowers or pick up a FedEx/UPS package unless I get a confirmation with my agreed-upon fee. Email to SS: "I am happy to call the borrowers to confirm our appointment just as soon as I receive a confirmation with fee specified from you via email or fax."

Not my assignment until I get that confirmation.

Reply by KC/IN on 10/18/04 10:01pm
Msg #10010

I agree with Jennifer. No confirmation, no assignment. I think though as long as you have a confirmation that reflects the fee agreed, an additional fax confirmation isn't necessary. But, the more you cover you butt the better. Smiley

Reply by Art_MD on 10/19/04 2:02pm
Msg #10051

I use e-fax as part of my record keeping. I store all confirmations in a seperate folder. When I download, I change the name to include the date and initials of the sender. This makes for easy search by date.

Art

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.