Notary Rotary
Printer-hp 1160 laser
Notary Discussion History

Printer-hp 1160 laser
Go Back to October, 2004 Index

Posted by Earldean Mayfield on 10/6/04 9:26pm
Msg #9468

Printer-hp 1160 laser

Does any know if this printer is worth printing edocs on. Is it good or bad--Thanks

Reply by Anonymous on 10/6/04 11:38pm
Msg #9483

Unfortunately, based upon the information that you have provided, there is no correct answer. When you say "good or bad" are you referring to print quality, print cost, features, ability to spool large documents (memory), compliant with most servers, etc.? For example, I owned a great little laser printer that I was able to refill the toner cartridges and, after consistent abuse, refused to break. The problem was that it didn't have enough memory to spool larger doc sets. Then there was the printer that had so much memory you could store all of the information in the world on it. The problem, toner cartridges were over $150 for about 3500 pages. I would pay it if I had to, but that one too is in the garage and only used when absolutely needed. My rule of thumb is to buy the model just above the one that I was thinking of getting. Now I am happy. Remember too, a printer is a capital investment that should make you money. If you have to turn jobs down because of its inadequacies, then it is actually costing you money. Good Luck

Reply by Earldean Mayfield on 10/7/04 9:58am
Msg #9495

Thank you so much for your info. What type of laser printer would you suggest that doesn't cost a arm and a leg. There really is a lot to consider,again thank you.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/7/04 11:55am
Msg #9500

HP-1300 is, after rebate at most major office supply stores, $299. Also, and I know that I will hear alot of crap for this, but LexMark makes some relatively inexpensive machines that are quite good. Be careful of the e232 from Lexmark because it had been recalled due to possible fire hazards. Lexmark sent all who purchased the machine a brand new one so if you do buy it, and it is a very reasonable $200, that you get one that was produced after they realized the problem. The other problem with the e232 is that toner cartridges are $80 and yield about 2,500 pages. A previous Lexmark, the e321, had a high capacity toner; $125 but yielded 6000. Believe it or not, that is a significant difference (penny a page). If you print 10 orders per month at 75 pages per doc set (150 if you include the borrowers copies) that is 1500 pages. With the e232 your cost is about $45. for toner alone yet with the e321 your cost for just the toner for the same amount of printouts is $30. It doesn't seem like a lot until you start purchasing toner cartridges every other week!!! I don't recall the "toner price per page" with the HP but I would think it to be about .02/page. Regards, Me

Reply by Earldean Mayfield on 10/7/04 12:01pm
Msg #9501

Thank you so much, you have most helpful

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 10/7/04 12:53pm
Msg #9503

The most important thing about getting the correct laser printer is that is supports PCL5e and upgradeable to PCL6 (if drivers are not already included). Only HP supports PCL natively on their printers (after all, HP owns PCL), other manufacturers and low-end HP laser printers use PCL emulation.

Now, before anybody jumps down my throat, I personally do not know of anyone who has substantiated proof that a laser printer with PCL emulation will not handle any given document file type. I've only "heard" rumors to that effect.

The second most important aspect in considering a laser printer, is printer memory. Some "image" documents, like the HUD, can get pretty intensive and will require a fair amount of printer memory to render the page. Personally I suggest a minimum of 16Mb of printer memory, 32 or 64 is better. No need to go overboard as the intended use of these printers are for documents, not graphic intensive autocad drawings.

Third, is printer speed. Considering a typical doc set may be around 80 pages, a 5 page per minute (ppm) printer will take over 15 minutes to print the set. A 20 ppm printer will spit it out in about 5 minutes, start to finish.

Fourth is the PC. Pentium-III at a minimum with as much memory for spooling as possible. USB connection is the fastest, followed by parallel (Centronics) and finally serial.

Personal recommendation is the HP Laserjet 1300. If you need a multi-functional printer (print/copy/scan and possibly fax) then I recommend the HP Laserjet 3300 series printers.

The above recommendation is my opinion only and is not to be construed as legal advice or technical support (unless I charge you for it! Smiley).

Reply by Earldean Mayfield on 10/7/04 1:32pm
Msg #9505

Thank you so much for all this info. I don't know much about all these printers and I don't want to make a bad mistake when I go to purchase. Most ot sales people can not answer the question quite like someone that uses it for edocs all the time. I really appreciate all the help.
Thank you

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.