Notary Rotary
Question for California Notary
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2004 Index

Posted by Bob, Ca on 10/7/04 9:46pm
Msg #9534

I just started, haven't made a notarization as of yet; just sitting back still educating myself. Question: If you notarized several documents for an individual and as required, record each document in your journal, on diffrent lines, does the client have to sign each line? I have tried looking up the answer in the Notary Law, either I am over looking it or maybe it is not clarified.

I know it may take a little time for the client to sign each line, but I feel if it isn't specified in the law; well they will be signing each line. :Smiley) What's is the correct procedure.

thanks

Reply by Tina Marie Grimes on 10/7/04 10:01pm
Msg #9537

I have my borrowers sign one time then draw a line down for all the documents. It's allowed in California.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 10/8/04 12:13am
Msg #9545

Tina is correct!

But: do yourself a favor and buy a journal from this site www.NotaryRotary.com ( click on the Notary Shop) and buy Harry's journal it will save you a ton of money!!

Reply by Bob, Ca on 10/8/04 12:59am
Msg #9547

a ton of money how? I brought one from California notary School after I took the classt. The one thing I like about it; has lots of space in the back for additional information. I brought the one from this site about two months ago after reading the positive things about it. Haven't really decided on which one I will use.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/8/04 12:54pm
Msg #9568

Maybe not a ton of money (journals aren't THAT expensive) but it does last much longer than a normal journal. My previous journals took about 2 months to fill up, I've been using this one for over 5 months and I've still got a few pages to go before it's full.

There's also much less writing involved - only 1 entry with all the documents checked vs a separate entry for each document. There is a definite reason so many of us in here love this journal!

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 10/8/04 11:55pm
Msg #9599

Calinotary explained it correctly. The journal has so much less writing that I was incorrect saying if will save you a ton of money: the real key is how much quicker you can put the borrower's info. in the journal.

The money saving aspect is just "the frosting on the cake."

Reply by Barbara on 10/9/04 4:11pm
Msg #9619

When you are having a borrower sign your notary book, you are not notarizing that they are signing a document, you are having them sign your notary book stating that they appeared personally in your presence and provided proof of identity. So you only need to have the borrower sign once in your notary book for that day. If you meet with them again to have them re-sign, then they would need to sign again stating that they appeared in your presence on that day.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/9/04 5:17pm
Msg #9624

Barbara - where are you located - it helps if you include your state in your name line.

California notaries have to keep a journal and one of the items they have to record in that journal is a list of the documents notarized. If they are ever asked to produce a line item from that journal, they would need the signature of the signer on that line they produce.

I am sure Joan Bergstrom, who teaches notary classes in California, or another California notary will jump in here and verify this. But from reading the message boards this past 4 years that is one of the things I have learned regarding California journals.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.