Notary Rotary
Signing Notaries in Maine
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2004 Index

Posted by Nicole on 10/22/04 10:26am
Msg #10291

I am just getting into this business and wondered if anyone else in MAINE did this type of work. I talked to a Notary that came to my house yesterday and asked him some questions (we were signing loan docs). He said that he gets on average $40.00 per signing!!! I was shocked. It was with us almost an hour, had to download the docs, get copies at a local print shop, and then go home sign his portions, send them back, etc., Hardly seemed worth the $40.00. Is this a usual rat for this type of service in Maine??? Rethinking getting into this business. Any comments would be welcomed!!!

Reply by Roger/OH on 10/22/04 2:37pm
Msg #10297

Can't imagine doing ANY signing in ANY state for $40, let alone with email docs. I won't take less than $100 for any edoc signing, and that's if its relatively close by.

Doesn't sound like he's too well equipped, which is a necessity in the business and particularly for handling email docs.

Reply by Tess/ME on 10/22/04 5:33pm
Msg #10305

Hi Nicole: Were are you located in Maine?
I do signings here and know of a few others that do them. We DO NOT do $40.00 signings.
But now that you have talked to THE notary that does, I know why a lot of SS do not call me back when I tell them my fee schedule and they say "I'll check to see if I can get that for you and let you know" But, since someone is doing them here for practically free (did you say he was a rat?) I guess that doesn't help matters any. Might be a long, slow winter. As rural as Maine is I can't see doing a signing (and edocs too?) for less than $95. (if it is in your own backyard) Oh, also, I just bought gas today $2.06.9 a gallon so that boosts the signing costs up too. Then to top it all off a good deal of the borrowers I have had to deal with are a bit "back woodsie" and the one hour appointments sometimes turn into 2 1/2 hour ordeals. That is if you can find the house in the dark with no street lights, no porch lights and no house numbers.

Reply by frkeefe on 10/23/04 12:21pm
Msg #10325

Tess,

Where in Maine are you?

Reply by Nicole on 10/24/04 7:07pm
Msg #10413

More questions from Maine

I live in Portland, Maine. I just started. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I haven't received any calls. Does it usually take a while to get a call? I signed up with National Documents Services and a couple of other. Any suggestions?????

Reply by BrendaTX on 10/22/04 11:42pm
Msg #10317

Nicole shared: "He said that he gets on average $40.00 per signing!!! I was shocked. It was with us almost an hour, had to download the docs, get copies at a local print shop, and then go home sign his portions, send them back, etc."

Hi, Nicole...I think he speaks with forked tongue. But, if your area is pretty saturated with notaries, you can hardly blame him. Fortunately, I have never been offered a $40 fee, but they are around. But for eDocs???? I doubt it. JMHO.

Reply by frkeefe on 10/23/04 12:22pm
Msg #10326

Nicole,

Where in Maine are you?

Reply by Tess/ME on 10/23/04 4:07pm
Msg #10343

Midcoast....Knox County. Where are you located?

Reply by Nicole on 10/24/04 7:09pm
Msg #10414

I am located in Portland - I thought the price per signing would be higher. But I guess I"ll just have to wait. I haven't even received a call yet. I see all kinds of posts about people being really busy, but I wondered if this trend had hit Maine yet.

I'd love any tips or advice.

Reply by Tess/ME on 10/25/04 10:07am
Msg #10447

Nicole:
Are you listed on GMN or Notary Rotary as a signing agent?
I listed with them and a few others that are known and used by signing services at the beginning and as I got more and more signings from a few I would let my subscriptions drop to the ones that I didn't get many results from.
A good majority of the SS are located in California & Florida but that doesn't mean they only do business there. Also go to the company lists here and find their email addresses and websites and they will either send you the info or just have a page to sign up on.
I've found that this time of year it slows down here in Maine which is probably best since the weather can get really bad and if you have a signing that has to be done and you can't get there you have a real problem. Also, roads are dark in the rural areas and houses can be hard to find with all the trees and brush and being far off the "beaten path".
I really don't know how the work load is in Portland, however, should be better than the rural areas. Good luck

Reply by Nicole on 10/24/04 9:12pm
Msg #10419

What companies do you offer your services to you. Do you mind giving me some tips??? Most companies that I have been looking to sign up with don't work in Maine. California and Texas seem to be very popular, but I don't find a lot in Maine. Am I just searching in the wrong direction. I would be interested in doing signings in the Cumberland County area.

Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.