Signing agent information
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2004 Index

Posted by Marge on 10/8/04 9:55am
Msg #9560

Good Morning!

I am a notary for my company, and I would like to suppliment my income, I was told about becoming a signing agent, and I would appreciate any suggestions on how to do this.

Thanks.

Reply by Sue/AZ on 10/8/04 11:04am
Msg #9561

Check out your area first. There are a lot of signing agents everywhere. Right now in several areas there is not a lot of work out there due to rising interest rates.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/8/04 12:50pm
Msg #9567

Did it occur to you to actually read the messages on the board?

Reply by Rookie - LA CA on 10/8/04 2:40pm
Msg #9575

Go to ebay and search signing agent or notary public and you can purchase training material practically for free. Don't make the mistake of paying several hundreds of dollars for training from the nna or other sources like we all did.

Any question just email me, [e-mail address]

No hate mail please,

Rookie

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/9/04 9:12am
Msg #9604

But when you do go to ebay, be aware that the "training manual" purchased from an unknown may not be worth the paper it is printed on! (Unless someone is selling a used training manual from a recognized source)

I have been doing this for 4 years, and some signing agents make the job harder than it actually is! First no two loan packages are the same (unless they are identical loans from the same company). If you look at the document it is usually self explanatory, and you are not allowed to explain the documents to the borrower anyway, only identify the document.

You are there to identify the document to the borrower - This is your settlement statement, these are your closing costs and the amount being sent to you after the 3 day RTC is over.
You cannot explain the figures on the document!

(I had one the other day, the HUD showed two appraisals - one was for $350 POC and the other was for $500. Reason for the two appraisals was the house was in the hurricane area, the first appraisal was done when the loan was applied for, before the hurricanes, then the hurricanes hit, and the lender required a second appraisal - funny thing the first appraisal was done by the appraiser going through the house, the second was a drive by, yet the second was more expensive than the first - anyway, the borrower called the LO about the fee for the second appraisal, LO said it should have showed POC, it didn't, the LO then asked to speak to me. He said "Why is that $500 on the HUD?" it told him I had no idea. He said I should know as I am the"closer" for MIS. I told him I was the notary sent out by MIS, I had nothing to do with the preparation of any of the documents!)

So, we just identify the docs to the borrower, the main thing to concern us is the notary certificate, to make sure it is filled out correctly according to our state's notary laws. And if you have been a notary for a while, you should know your state notary laws.

I also have a SS. I found a notary in the NotaryRotary directory last week for a signing. After the signing the notary faxed me over the notarized pages so I could check them over before she shipped them out. On a couple of documents the notary certificates were incomplete according to Fl notary laws. I called the notary and pointed out the omission, and asked her to complete the certificates according to Fl notary laws. Usually I have no problem when I ask a notary to complete the certificate correctly. However this notary tells me she cannot complete the certificate as I requested, said she cannot alter the certificate the company put on there as it would be UPL, and for me to call the NNA for verification! She has been a notary for 15 years and has never changed a certificate. And if she filled out the certificate she would go to jail!!! Needless to say this is one signing agent I cannot use again. It is not UPL to follow the notary laws of your state. When this notary got her commission she promised to uphold the notary laws - which includes filling out the notary certificate correctly.

Bottom line is identify the document as you pass it to the borrower for signing! (If you look at the document it tells you what it is and what it is for!) Do not explain the document to the borrower (UPL!)
Fill out the notary certificate correctly for your state.

Do not make this job harder than you have to.

Reply by Glena on 10/11/04 10:13am
Msg #9650

Sylvia,
The notary you used forgot to realize that the notary laws of your state (FL) has to be followed over what NNA says. I wonder if she even called your SOS to verify what NNA said. NNA is based in California and more often than not, their information is based on California notary Law.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.