Notary Rotary
small question
Notary Discussion History

small question
Go Back to October, 2004 Index

Posted by L/California on 10/24/04 12:20pm
Msg #10393

small question

When signing in California, does it matter what color pen to use, Blue or Black ? I notice some say what to use other don't . Thank you

Reply by Susan on 10/24/04 2:17pm
Msg #10398

I assummed black, however I met with a notary yesterday to chat her she recently did a doc in blue per request I believe.

Reply by Dotti_CA on 10/24/04 3:13pm
Msg #10400

Since the notary journal is to be filled in with black ink, I always use black for signing unless blue ink is specified by the Lender. Ameriquest usually wants blue ink only.

Reply by Jon on 10/24/04 6:13pm
Msg #10412

Dottie,

Why do you think that the journal must be filled in with black ink? I have not seen any requirements to that effect in the Ca state handbook. If it is listed, please let me know where for future reference.

Thanks

Reply by L/California on 10/24/04 9:23pm
Msg #10421

Thanks to all answering, I'v been using black , I'v only had a few that asked for blue.
Thank you L/Ca

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/24/04 11:07pm
Msg #10430

Either is legal in California.

Reply by calipat on 10/25/04 12:15am
Msg #10433

I have all my entries in black in my journal, but only because I use black for the signings. I have never been asked to use blue. I honestly don't think it states anywhere that the journal has to be in black. If it does I don't know where, please let me know where it states the usage of black ink Thanks!

Reply by Jan Kohake on 10/25/04 10:46am
Msg #10449

Whatever I do the signing in, that is what my journal entry is done in. I do more "blue ink" signings than I do black. Many lenders are specifying blue ink and I have one title company that "requires" only black ink be used. CA

Reply by Dotti_CA on 10/25/04 4:07pm
Msg #10477

The class I took prior to my commission specified the journal was to be in black ink and printed, not written. I believe the class was taught by someone from Sec of State's office, can't remember exactly. I'll go back through my notes (if I can locate them.)

Reply by Barbara / CA on 10/26/04 2:45pm
Msg #10522

California does not have any regulation regarding what color ink is used for loan documents or for the notary journal. Majority of lenders will accept either Black or Blue ink. Some lenders will specify what color ink to use, but otherwise as long as you stay with Black or Blue you are safe.

I perfer to use Blue ink on everything (except where specified) to make it easier to tell the difference between the original document and the copy.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.