Notary Rotary
Checklist for closings
Notary Discussion History

Checklist for closings
Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 9/22/04 3:02pm
Msg #8640

Checklist for closings

Below is my checklist for closings. I suspect that even most long-time signing agents have similar lists. I'd be interested in seeing what their lists look like, if they would share also.

Closing checklist

Oath

Check $__________ Not required__________

Ink ____Blue ____Black ____Unspecified

Driver license, Social Security, other _______________________

Identification signed

Notary book signed

Rescission calendar

Card

Explanation of Signing Agent role

Explanation of requirements for name signing

Explanation of error correction

Reply by Jon on 9/22/04 4:02pm
Msg #8643

Is this a physical list or just something you keep in your head? Personally, my list is automatic and in my head, I never even think about these types of things. I have been doing signings the same way for over 7 years, and never used an actual list that I checked off as I went.

Reply by HisHughness on 9/22/04 4:16pm
Msg #8646

Jon gloated:

***I have been doing signings the same way for over 7 years, and never used an actual list that I checked off as I went.***

It is a physical list that I check off each closing, both for my use and for future reference in the event a question ever arises about the conduct of the closing. It has come in handy once or twice for that purpose. At my age, I no longer have the requisite memory storage capacity to carry something like the list in my head. All the capacity I have is dedicated to important things, like the date of my wedding anniversary, the number of my wedding anniversary, my wife's birthday, what date Valentine's Day comes on, my wife's dress size, my wife's underclothing size, my wife's preferences in jewelry, my wife's preferences in handbags, my wife's preferences in colors, my wife's preferences in scents, my wife's pet peeves, the names of the women I don't mention around my wife, the names of the men I'm not supposed to flinch at if she mentions, the names of the men at whose mention I am supposed to exclaim, "What a dirtbag!", and how long my wife was in labor with each of her children.

I just don't have room for anything else.

What did you say your name was?

Reply by ammobile on 9/22/04 4:36pm
Msg #8647

if only all husbands reasoning for memory failure was the same....

Reply by carlosnyc on 9/22/04 5:50pm
Msg #8649

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha,

Now I know why I JUST can't stay out of the dog house. I can't remember anything my wife tells me.

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/22/04 6:13pm
Msg #8650

Re: anniversary/birthday

HisHughness bragged: the number of my wedding anniversary

My husband believes we have been married 3-1/2 lifetimes. Our anniversary is one day before my birthday -- when his mom calls first thing in the morning to wish us a happy anniversary, he is then alerted that my birthday is the next day.

Reply by Jan Kohake on 9/23/04 10:36am
Msg #8669

My husband has to make out a list if he goes to the store to buy more than "three" things.

Reply by Jan Kohake on 9/23/04 10:38am
Msg #8670

correction

Sorry, I meant to say if he has to buy three things or less.

Reply by HisHughness on 9/23/04 11:24am
Msg #8672

Jan Kohake reports:

***My husband has to make out a list if he goes to the store to buy more than "three" things.***

It is probably unwise to discuss husbands being sent to the store by wives, because inevitably we're going to get into the issue of the time we husbands spend wandering helplessly and embarrassed in the feminine products section, and the even greater embarrassment we encounter when we go to the checkout counter -- the checker, of course, being a young woman no more than 19 -- and two of our three purchases are from the feminine products section. And that doesn't even begin to address the near-lethal embarrassment when a price check is necessary, and the employee doing the price check is an even younger female.

Then, of course, there is the ultimate: Your wife attempts to get you to return one of those purchases for a refund. At last count, that was grounds for divorce in 17 states. In fact, even in those states where it isn't a statutory ground for divorce, no male judge would ever refuse a divorce if that was cited as the reason.

You women blather on about toilet seats. You have no idea what real gender insensitivity is.

Reply by Sue/AZ on 9/23/04 12:03pm
Msg #8674

you guys are tooooo funny. Actually it's me that needs the list. My other half is trained so he does the cooking. That is the good part, the bad part is that I still have to clean up after him.

Reply by calipat/ca on 9/23/04 12:38pm
Msg #8676

I know the feeling Sue...he cooks I clean up the mess. At my house though when I do cook (on occasion) I STILL clean up the mess.

Reply by Sue/AZ on 9/23/04 12:40pm
Msg #8677

Yeah, your right. OK, on to more training. Not only that I still have wash his underwear!

Reply by Liz/MD on 9/23/04 10:11pm
Msg #8756

Just curious about "Explanation of Signing Agent role"? Is this something you state when you contact the borrowers or at the table? And what do you say...or don't say in regards to this checklist item. TIA.

Reply by HisHughness on 9/23/04 10:36pm
Msg #8763

I explain that the signing agent is a notary public with some background in real estate, but that my role consists solely of overseeing the correct execution of the documents and explaining the purpose of each document if desired. I do this in conjunction with giving the borrowers a copy of a rescission calendar marked with the closing and rescission dates.

In my case I note that whereas my card identifies me as an attorney, I am not there as an attorney because 1) I practiced in Atlanta and am not licensed to practice in Texas; and 2) I am retired and on inactive status. I mention that because it appears to forestall some reservations by lenders on whether I know what I'm talking about. In other words, it just appears to make the closing go smoother. You may want to explore a different route to gaining stature in their eyes other than spending three years in law school and three days in the bar exam.

I go into my role as a signing agent during my initial contact only if they ask questions that require me to explain my role. Otherwise, I explain it when I start the closing.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 9/24/04 7:29am
Msg #8794

Mr. Hugh, esq, exclaimed: "... spending three years in law school and three days in the bar exam."

Now I see what my problem was. I spent 3 days in law school and three years in the bar! (I think I should have taken the criminal justice route rather than corporate law, including torts and contracts. Aren't torts something you eat?)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.