Notary Rotary
Getting work
Notary Discussion History

Getting work
Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by Nicholas A Dean Research Services - Bill on 9/3/04 11:29am
Msg #7306

Getting work

Okay. I've just signed up here yesterday and I tried the search function, but couldn't find the information I was looking for.
A little background on me. I'm working with a partner that owns his own business. He's been doing doc retrievals and letter reports for almost two years now. I met him when working at my old employer who was a title company. I was a closing officer. I've done probably close to a thousand closings and have a very good knowledge of the closing process.
Anyway, after a few (bad timing) career decisions, I've decided to see if my friend and I can work together. Since he has an established customer base I thought getting closings from them wouldn't be difficult.
I was wrong. We started up doing closings 2 months ago and are lucky to get 1 a week. I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do anymore. We're currently signed up with a number of big national companies, but none seem to be getting us any work. The companies I'm talking about include GAC, ServiceLink, MIS, TransUnion, etc... We're signed up with all of them for 2 months or more now. I don't know how much longer my friend is going to keep me around since he's paying me hourly right now so I can pay my bills.
Sorry, I guess I'm rambling. I'll get to the point.
Is there anyway to get more work from these people? I've made call after call to see if everything was okay and that we're in their system. I've even reduced our pricing to try and increase our business until we get more work. But nothing seems to be working. Also, we've signed up with at least 10-15 of those $50/closing signing services, but they don't have work for us either.
Do you guys get any work from notary rotary? Does it pay to have the premium membership?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/3/04 12:36pm
Msg #7310

It took me 2 months from the time I started signing up with signing services to get my first job. That's just how it is in this industry, it's slow to start and builds over time. The market is saturated with signing agents (Thanks NNA!) so odds are that whoever you're signing up with already has a person in your general area that they regularly use, and you'll have to wait until they turn down work to get called. Just keep siging up with as many services and title companies as possible and have patience. And make sure you somehow emphasize your own title company background, that's a great selling point for you.

Reply by Roger/OH on 9/3/04 12:39pm
Msg #7311

Bill, it would help to know what state you're in, as some (such as CA and FL) are saturated to the point there's a notary signing agent on every street corner. The national companies you mentioned all have somewhat of a checkered reputation among those frequenting these boards so I'd suggest broadening your horizons to more title companies. You also need to WAY increase your marketing to the signing services; 10-15 is a drop in the bucket, as many posters here are signed up with 100 or more. Again though, much depends upon how much signing agent competition is in your area, your rates, and other regional factors.

Grab a cup of coffee, settle down and read all the earlier threads on this board, and you will glean a boatload of good information. In answer to your question, you'll find the consensus from this board is that the Premium membership is indeed worth it. Also suggest 123Notary, GoMobileNotary, and even the NNA as sites that generate many calls. Look also at the free listing of companies seeking notaries available here and on the latter two sites above.

Reply by Curious George on 9/3/04 2:31pm
Msg #7320

Bill,
I started out with your same concerns, I agree with Roger. Spend some time going through the postings on here tons of good info. . I personally have signed up with approx. 70 companies before work started regulating, am now at about 125 that I am registered with. Definitely look to the Title companies with your background and experience, direct work is the way to go. I agree also it takes awhile for you to start receiving jobs once you get added to most databases. Good Luck!

~Anthony
Oregon

Reply by Nicholas A Dean Research Services - Bill on 9/3/04 3:28pm
Msg #7327

Thanks people. I live in Wisconsin. I don't know that there are an over abundance of notaries here, but there are quite a few title companies. I've contacted most of them in the local area and will work on calling the ones in outerlying counties next week.
Thanks for the tip on my background as a selling point. I've actually never thought about adding that into any of the correspondence I've had with anyone.

Reply by aprils on 9/4/04 11:25am
Msg #7380

One thing you may consider is putting together a pack of business cards and pens with your contact information. Someone with your experience is much more likely to get their foot right in the door with title and direct lenders. Although it may seem nerve racking the best advice I can give is to physically walk in the door of as many title and lenders in your area and offer your services. Usually if you can make it past the snarling receptionist you can meet some nice people who will begin to use you. Direct lenders and title should always be charged more for mobile signings. I usually reduce my fee for inhouse signings. Hope this helps.

Reply by Nicholas A Dean Research Services - Bill on 9/7/04 10:27am
Msg #7496

I've contacted most of the title companies in the area and only one of them said they ever did witness closings. I'm going to contact ones further out this week, but probably won't be going there in person because they are hours away. But, maybe they get clients in our area...
By inhouse signings do you mean at their office? That's what I assumed and I would probably do the same.

Thanks for the info. Smiley

Bill

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.