Notary Rotary
ID "COPY" QUESTION FROM THE NEWEST NEWBIE
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by Arant19 on 9/16/04 8:29pm
Msg #8128

Hi Paw! Per your comment re the aforementioned subject dtd 9/15/04. Also I like to thank you for the link as well. Hopefully I won't have a problem downloading it.

I have 2 questions. If the ss & the lender doesn't require a copy of the DL, is it OK to document the pertinent info, ie, DL # from the DL to show that it was seen? Or should it be documented that it was visually noticed?

Thanking you in advance for your response.

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/16/04 11:30pm
Msg #8143

Arant19 asked "If the ss & the lender doesn't require a copy of the DL, is it OK to document the pertinent info, ie, DL # from the DL to show that it was seen?"

I always document the drivers license number and expiration date in my journal.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 9/17/04 8:58am
Msg #8178

IDing the signer is a keystone to the integrity of the notarial act. You must be able to positively id them. If you don't document what ID was used, then there's no validation to the act. Even if your state does not require a journal, I strongly urge the use of one. And to document the ID used by its serial number (DL #, SSA number, etc.) for your records. Florida requires us to annotate in the notary certificate what type of ID was used. The SOS also used to recommend including the DL # (or other identifying number) in the certificate, but with the proliferation of identity theft, I no longer do that. However, I do note it on my ID form and in my journal.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.