I.D "copy" question from the newest newbie
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by real newbie on 9/15/04 9:16pm
Msg #8047

Hi,

I've been spending many days and hours reading books, websites, forums and gaining as much Signing Agent knowledge before I even think of doing my first signing. ( Even though I've been a Notary since 1988)

Several of you have had discussions in regards to the ss or Lenders needing a "copy" of the Driver's License etc.. Do they mean an actual "copy'? If so, how do you obtain this from the borrow? Some times I'm sure you only have a 24 hour notice before a signing. Why is our Notary "verification" of the identification NOT sufficent enough for the ss or lender?

I would welcome some clarification on this one! Thanks a bunch!!!

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 9/15/04 9:58pm
Msg #8050

Many lenders require a copy of the borrowers drivers license for their records. This is "their" policy in establishing and following the CIP (Customer Identification Program) requirements of the Patriot Act. Though the Act itself does not specify that a copy of "an unexpired government-issued identification document evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard (like a finger print) “may” be sufficient to verify identity" needs to be on file, the information from the document must be recorded. Some lenders simply have a "Patriot Act compliant" form to be filled out, while others still want copies of the document.

When I confirm an appointment with the borrower(s), I always ask them to please have a copy of their ID available to return with the document package if the lender or title company requests it. It there's no request, no problem. I tell them that in this case, a copy is not needed and they should put it away for safe keeping. It may be needed for something in the future.

In cases where I the borrower cannot or does not have a copy to return with the docs, I make a note of it and continue with the signing. The copy is a lender or title issue, not the NSA's issue.

I always complete my own "Visual Verification of Identification" form and have submitted this to title and the lenders in cases where copies of the ID were not available. Many lenders and title companies have accepted this form in lieu of the copies. (You can download a copy of this form from my website http://www.pawnotary.com/FloridaRoom/AIV.pdf using a username of "Notary" and a password of "download". The username and password ARE CASE SENSITIVE. Do not include the quote marks.)

Reply by Newest newbie on 9/15/04 10:07pm
Msg #8051

PAW,

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. The visual Verification of ID is a great
alternative, if needed. Thank you for the link! I've learned alot from your ongoing replys on this forum. I greatly appreciate everyone's valuable input.

WHEW! Now I don't have to loose sleep tonight over that one!! Good night and Thank you!

Reply by HisHughness on 9/15/04 11:40pm
Msg #8056

Newest newbie enthused:

***PAW,

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. The visual Verification of ID is a great
alternative, if needed. Thank you for the link! I've learned alot from your ongoing replys on this forum. I greatly appreciate everyone's valuable input.

WHEW! Now I don't have to loose sleep tonight over that one!! Good night and Thank you! ***

There is no need to pee your pants with gratitude. It won't make any difference. PAW is unable to respond to any outbursts of emotion. He is actually a computer, buried deep in the bowels of the American Society of Very Senior Notaries.

Ask him anything -- how many notaries can dance on the head of a pin, if they're called "notaries" why don't they take notes in the traditional sense, was there actually a movie named after the HUD Settlement Statement, do notaries reproduce in the same manner as humans -- and he will spew forth an answer accurate to within 11 decimal points or four pluperfect subjunctives, whichever comes closer. Just don't try to hug him.

Reply by RAMZ on 9/16/04 12:28am
Msg #8060

THANK YOU FOR THE LINK AND YOUR GREAT ADVISE.

Reply by Maureen/NH on 9/16/04 12:50am
Msg #8061

That is loverly and I'm making a copy BUT, being a cautious Yankee, shouldn't it read, I "believe" the info to be correct?

Reply by Bob, Ca on 9/16/04 1:23am
Msg #8064

could someone email me a copy. I can't seem to draw it up. I am typing in the correct word and watched the case sensitive part.

[e-mail address]

tia

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 9/16/04 7:36am
Msg #8065

According to my learned counsel, the wording is correct in that the information supplied on the form matches the information from the ID document(s). It does not state that the information is accurate and truthful, only that it is correct from what was offered as identification. The form is a statement of fact based on information that you have obtained personally, therefore the words "certify" and "correct" are used.

Of course, this is MY form. You may use it or create your own with any words you choose.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.