Notary Rotary
Interesting Job Proposal
Notary Discussion History

Interesting Job Proposal
Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by BrendaTX on 9/26/04 11:27am
Msg #8889

Interesting Job Proposal

I was contacted last night by a man (realtor) who needs to go around just north of my area and clear title to a piece of property. It will take seven visits to people and probably be an all day long process. When I quoted him $300 for 8 hours, or $400 for 10-12 hours he was astounded.

We almost got off on the wrong foot because he balked quickly and figured $6 per signature, plus he'd pay an extra $14 per stop (round it off to $20 per visit x 7 for $140) .

But, as I explained the process and that I had made $150 for exactly 1.5 hours work yesterday morning he became more aware of what he was getting himself into.

Though I understand the concept of reasonably travel charge, this would be a trek around the College Station to Waco area that would be quite involved with me giving up a complete day of my time which then includes not only notarization, travel, but time involved as well. Therefore, based on a fair assessment of my day and what I "can" accomplish during the same, this is what I quoted him...and quite fairly, I believe.

I suggested he try locating multiple notaries to do what he was proposing and if that did not work out - call me back. I explained even if he could locate a notary to do each one hour visit (his estimate) then he might be paying more than he was paying me at $300 for 8 hours- plus forego the knowledge that I was going to be at each stop.

The way I look at it, $300 - $400 will be about 1% or less than he will make on the property if he is a realtor, as I suspect, and he can certainly pay me what I am asking for a day of my time. In fact, I feel I gave him a very decent break. $500 would not be too high, in my estimation given my earning power, but for some, even $1000 would be more appropriate.

By the way I do have the means to check extensively into who he is and that what he is saying is the truth before I take off with him to do this job by personal references.

Newer notaries might want to consider ways to bid a job that will consume an entire day when the per notarization fee will not be reasonable for the time involved.

Reply by Brenda J Khan on 9/26/04 10:02pm
Msg #8909

Brenda I do not understand exactly what he wants you to do? My husband is in real estate as well and he does not know either?! Can you be more specific as to what would be involved to take an hour for each visit? I think checking extensively as you stated is a very good idea. Also have you ever gotten a request for an all day assignment like this before? And if so how much did you charge then? $300 for 8 hours seems like a low ball figure to me when you compare it to how much we make on average per hour. BK-FL

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/26/04 11:02pm
Msg #8913

I was not confused about what was involved. If I indicated so, I was incorrect.

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/26/04 11:37pm
Msg #8915

Brenda J. Khan queried: "as to what would be involved to take an hour for each visit?" and stated..."$300 for 8 hours seems like a low ball figure to me when you compare it to how much we make on average per hour."

Sorry. I did not answer you question regarding the time factor. The answer is logistics - distance between the visits.

As to the price I quoted him, to date, my best days have paid me $300 to $400, though things get a little better each month.

One can always hope, but it would be hard to believe that on that particular day I will suddenly be able to earn a whole lot more than that. So... I'll gamble!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.