Notary Rotary
New Notary
Notary Discussion History

New Notary
Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by Tamara on 9/17/04 2:36pm
Msg #8198

New Notary

I am a new Notary and I just got my certificate for a loan signer. I can not get work. Due to lack of experiance. Any suggestions on how I can get going? I have signed up on a ton of websites, sent flyers and card out.....what now???

Thanks for any fed back

Reply by HisHughness on 9/17/04 2:57pm
Msg #8203

Above the menu of posts, click the "First" button. Go all the way to the very first post in June 2003, "Welcome to the General Discussion Forum." Read all the way to Post #8200. You will find your answer many times over in the intervening messages, along with far better information about being a signing agent than you ever got in your certification course.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/17/04 3:14pm
Msg #8208

Thanks Hugh, I'm starting to feel like a broken record recommending that to people almost daily.

Reply by HisHughness on 9/17/04 3:18pm
Msg #8213

I have saved a copy of that post, and hereafter plan to copy it into any response to such questions in the future. Can't blame the new notaries for not doing it until they've been told it's a good suggestion.

Reply by Maria_NJ on 9/17/04 3:13pm
Msg #8207

Hey Tamara,

I"m in the same boat. I have done the same as you. Hang in there. I haven't gotten too many calls yet. Hopefully something will give soon. Good luck

Reply by Larry_TN on 9/18/04 1:00pm
Msg #8272

I'm right there with you Tamara...I got my first job by emailing a company that did not acknowledge my faxed application! Within a week of getting a response, they gave me a closing! You might follow up on some of your applications...Good Luck!

Reply by Tamara on 9/18/04 1:42pm
Msg #8276

Thanks to you all for the info....I hate being the new kid on the block but you got to start somewhere????? I have read most of waht has been posted. I have even trained with someone who has been in the industry for over 20 yrs. I just can't seem to get a break. Just really starting to think it was not a great business to get into>????? I appreciate all the feedback!

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/18/04 11:01pm
Msg #8333

Tamara,

Please do not think I am being anything except curious.

There is no disrespect meant by this, but I cannot help but ask, if you do not mind saying, what made you think this *would* be a great business to get into?

In fact, if any new folks who are having trouble finding work want to respond to the question, please do. I am big on analyzing problems so I can look for solutions before *I* need them. It concerns me when I hear of so many agents having so much difficulty finding work, and, frankly, it is more for selfish reasons than anything to try to understand where this is coming from.

I was never told this would be a great business or given a reason to think I would have success with this. I read about it a year before I started, laughed it off as a scam, but then heard a little more about it and decided to test the waters because it was a good fit for me, but nothing made me think it would be anything but extra money when I began.

I had other things going on but realized when I got busy doing signings that I needed to move in this direction and focus on this, or leave it alone. I did not have all my eggs in one basket when I made the decision to start.

I am here because it was an opportunity that worked well with my personality, work history and I understood a lot about it before I started. Not that it is brain surgery, but if I did not have the background that I do, it would not have been something that I would have considered as a business since it does require some industry knowledge.

I keep hearing about folks that are disappointed with the results they are having and I cannot help but wonder why this is happening. If I did not have a work history that complimented this type of job, or if this were a state saturated with signing agents, I would not have attempted it but would have looked at other opportunities.

Off the top of my head, I know that Carolynis from a legal background, Hugh is, I am, and Jennifer who posts here sometimes, is also of a legal and mortgage background. As far as I know, we are all at least keeping our heads above water, but our states are not overwhelmed with competition. Seems like most of the others have been in the business a really long time and probably got into it because it was already what they knew--like one of the new posters KG/NY.

So, why you were compelled to attempt this is what has peaked my curiosity. Maybe if I knew a little more, I could figure out some answers that would help. I'd just like to get a little more on where this is all coming from. I can make guesses, but I would prefer getting some facts on what's caused this.

And, again, this is not to discourage you, but to understand why this is happening. If you do not want to post, you can email me at [e-mail address].

Reply by Loretta Reed on 9/19/04 9:35am
Msg #8355

I run an abstracting company during the day (for 8 years). I have a good amount of experience in the mortgage buiness, I found this to be a source of "extra income". I think the influx of those "get rich quick in the notary business" books are to blame for this.
In Maryland, we were overwhelmed with notaries that were inexperienced that Maryland law passed saying that notaries cannot perform a closings without a title producers license and be a member of the Maryland Insurance Administration. This also requires us to be bonded and take 6 credit hours a year with the Maryland Insurance Administration. They mean business here. Just those classes, my errors and omissions insurance ($500,000 minimum), the bond are running $2,000 a year. This doesn't include everyday expenses I have for the business. It took me 2 years to weed out the title companies that don't pay. I hate the feeling of wondering if I am "really" going to get paid for the signing I am getting ready to do. Most of my bussiness came from the title companies and attorneys that I do abstracting for.
Did I get off the subject, I must be venting again, huh Hugh?

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/20/04 8:31am
Msg #8419

Re: New Notary - Looking for some facts.

Hi, Loretta - Thanks for the post. It gives me a place to say a little more about this. As I stated: "I can make guesses, but I would prefer getting some facts on what's caused this."

Which is similar to what you say in your post above: "I think the influx of those "get rich quick in the notary business" books are to blame for this. " But, neither you or I can say this for sure, right?

Since I have been reading the forums I have heard this kind of thing from all kinds of sources, except from those who are looking for business and cannot figure out why they cannot get it.

Without ome kind of background or experience, newbies are not likely to be chosen by hiring entities that want a job done well, unless as a last choice when competing against those with experience. But do THEY know that?

I was not "wooed" by promises of an opportunity, but chose to attempt the business because I had the background in mortgage loans and in real estate documents. My track record in getting business has shown that I have done better than most newbies by having had that business background, plus less competition in my region.

There is not a gosh-darn thing unlawful about creating competition for established notaries, but there is a lot wrong from the position of those who are solicited if the market is saturated and provably so. For those who are interested in unraveling my thinking processes along these lines: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/09/compamericana.htm

Which states in relevant part:

"Specifically, the complaint alleges that the defendants misrepresented:

that consumers will obtain assembly project work for pay or substantial assistance in obtaining such work;

>>>that consumers are likely to earn a substantial amount of money; and <<<

that the defendants will provide refunds to consumers. "

I mean to imply nothing by posting this ftc.gov link, except that it's an interesting parallel.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.