Notary Rotary
New to a Heloc
Notary Discussion History

New to a Heloc
Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by OrcaDocs/CA on 9/23/04 11:29pm
Msg #8770

New to a Heloc

My wife has a notary coming in tomorrow evening for a Heloc Loan Signing. I am still waiting for my Notary commission after I passed the Exam in CA with a 90% score 2 weeks ago.
Any suggestions what I should pay special attention to? As soon as I have my commission I'll do a certification course for loan signing.
Thank you all for this really usefull message board

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/24/04 1:37am
Msg #8787

If you have a wife who's experienced in loan signings, you'll learn much more by going on a few signings with her than you will taking any certification course. The consensus on this board seems to be that there really isn't much value in being a certified signing agent; a lot of us aren't (including myself) and it hasn't hindered us in the slightest.

I would advise that you primarily focus on learning what each document means. Where the borrowers need to sign and inital is pretty much self explanatory, the important part is having a general understanding of the documents in case the borrowers ask you questions. You should be able to generally explain what is is that they're signing. Most "why" questions should be directed to the loan agent.

And make sure you understand how to complete a notarizatoin properly.

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 9/24/04 11:37am
Msg #8807

While many on the message board see no value in being certified, I feel slightly different on this point.

***To become certified one must take a class/course to learn the information on loan docs, the correct procedure for successfully completing a loan signing and other important information.
Without this knowledge, one could not effectively take an exam.

For me personally, I am a long time notary and I am extremely familiar with Real Property documents; however, I had very little knowledge of the procedure of an actual loan signing.

Simply put:

The education from the certification course was invaluable.
It all made sense after taking the certification course.

***While I'm not sure if I will retest when my certification status expires, the course was extremely helpful to me.

Thank you,
Stephanie

Reply by Jon on 9/24/04 2:47pm
Msg #8829

The problem with certification is that there is no standard by which to measure your knowledge. Each person or entity that offers certification uses their own criteria. Every certification I've seen has incorrect elements in it, some more than others. To pass the test, you must answer incorrectly. The course(s) may have some value for general knowledge, but you can get general knowledge in other ways, like reading this board and others like it.

Reply by HisHughness on 9/24/04 6:08pm
Msg #8847

A case in point is the Signing Registry. I recently took their test (I'm still not really sure what the purpose was, though I think it was so that I could post on the SR board). One question asked if a quitclaim deed conveys property. It does not; the function of a quitclaim deed is to convey whatever interest the grantor has in the title to property. If the grantor has no interest, the QC conveys nothing. I not only was graded off for allegedly answering the question incorrectly, the SR didn't bother to respond when I pointed out the error.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 9/24/04 9:20pm
Msg #8860

I don't think the question is in error, at least not in all states. Florida, for example, requires all deeds of conveyance to have two witnesses. Under Florida Statutes Chapter 689.01, which is titled "How Real Estate is conveyed", it specifies "signed in the presence of two subscribing witnesses by the party creating, making, granting, conveying, transferring or releasing such estate, interest, or term of more than 1 year, or by the party's agent thereunto lawfully authorized, unless by will and testament, or other testamentary appointment, duly made according to law". The SOS and AG have held that QCDs require two witnesses since it does, "in essence", convey real property.

But, technically speaking, you cannot physically convey real property by instrument. You can only convey "ownership" or "interest" in the property. But, as you well know, the law is full of semantical games and faux pas.

Reply by HisHughness on 9/24/04 9:42pm
Msg #8862

A warranty deed will always convey an interest in property. A security deed will always convey an interest in property. A deed of trust will always convey an interest in property. A quitclaim deed will not necessarily convey anything, unless the grantor actually has something to convey. The question as posed was explicit that a QCD >>would<< convey an interest in property.

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 9/24/04 11:37am
Msg #8808

While many on the message board see no value in being certified, I feel slightly different on this point.

***To become certified one must take a class/course to learn the information on loan docs, the correct procedure for successfully completing a loan signing and other important information.
Without this knowledge, one could not effectively take an exam.

For me personally, I am a long time notary and I am extremely familiar with Real Property documents; however, I had very little knowledge of the procedure of an actual loan signing.

Simply put:

The education from the certification course was invaluable.
It all made sense after taking the certification course.

***While I'm not sure if I will retest when my certification status expires, the course was extremely helpful to me.

Thank you,
Stephanie

Reply by Ted_MI on 9/24/04 12:10pm
Msg #8809

Hi Stephanie,

I find it interesting that you felt the certification course was beneficial even though you are a long time notary and have experience with loan documents. I am curious as to which course you tooK. Tx.

Reply by Jan_OK on 9/24/04 4:36pm
Msg #8842

"The education from the certification course was invaluable.
It all made sense after taking the certification course."

Ditto Stephanie.

Reply by L/Ca on 9/24/04 4:22pm
Msg #8837

Just a foot note.
I passed my test . and it took 12 weeks to get it back. And by the way yes I took a class and even signed up for the NNA test for signing agent passed that. Read everything I could get my hands on . But let me tell you the first time I went out has and eye opening.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.