Notary Rotary
No docs delivered yet
Notary Discussion History

No docs delivered yet
Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by lynnboop on 9/2/04 8:27pm
Msg #7232

No docs delivered yet

As I said in my message a few days ago, I have my first signing tomorrow at 5:30pm. The ss told me they would send docs to me directly. Shouldn't I have recieved them today? I thought I would have them by this evening the latest but no docs. This is my first signing and I really wanted to be ready and review the docs so that I would be prepared. Should I assume that they will be here tomorrow by the afternnon. I have a FT job and will have to stop by my home in the afternoon to see if docs came. This is stressing me because I was planning on doing the signing after my work hours. Is this the norm ?

Reply by Loretta Reed on 9/2/04 8:42pm
Msg #7233

I know that you really want to have faith in signing services. The fact is that most of the time, the docs will be overnighted to you and you will receive them the day of the signing. For some reason, 75% of the loans that I have been closing have been email docs. I had a 6pm closing tonight and they emailed them to me at 5:30pm. I did not get to the borrowers' home until 7pm.
Sometimes the signing company is told by the lender that the docs will be in "early" and they expect to send them out in advance The fact is, so many changes can happen while they are preparing the docs, the docs may be too late to overnight to you and you will have to print them out yourself.
So relax, welcome to the party.

Reply by Roger/OH on 9/2/04 8:51pm
Msg #7235

Even when overnighted, it's not at all unusual for docs to arrive the same day as the signing,
especially if it's an evening appointment. It does make it tough when you have a FT job and can't check to see if they arrived until you get off.

Reply by Brenda J Khan on 9/2/04 9:26pm
Msg #7240

I too am a newbie and I have found this is the norm for me as well! It does stress you out a bit but eventually the docs do come in! My first signing the docs arrived just 30 minutes prior to the appointment time, but it was only 2 miles down the road so not a problem with travel time. The problem I had for my first signing was getting my new laser printer to print! So a bit a of advice check to make sure your new printer, if you bought one, is set to be the default printer! I printed and made it on time and had the best signing I have had so far in this business! Good Luck! BK-FL

Reply by lynnboop on 9/2/04 9:38pm
Msg #7242

thanks for the advise and support. Unfortunately I don't have a laser printer yet and that has me even more stressed at this point so I really can't print edocs. However I see through the messages on this board that this is a necessity and have decided to return my new inkjet printer (an all in one) for a new laser because I relaly want to make this job easier and as productive as possible. Thanks I will let you know how it goes.

Reply by Brenda J Khan on 9/2/04 9:45pm
Msg #7246

I bought what I am now calling a "starter" laser printer, as it was cheap on sale for $130-. Make sure whatever you buy is PCL 5 or 6 complatible. Mine is not and I have had to turn down signings for this reason. My next laser printer will also have dual trays! Good Luck!

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/2/04 9:49pm
Msg #7248

I pulled that same little trick on myself, too. My mistake was a little bigger and more expensive. However, now I know for sure that size does not matter and it is only the PCL factor that really counts.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 9/4/04 12:38am
Msg #7368

I have done approx. 380 edoc signings. I think most loan-signers understand that almost 70% this business has gone to emailed docs in just the last 2 years.
I think the trend next year is "you must have dual trays."
What does everyone else think?

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/2/04 9:57pm
Msg #7250

lynnboop said: have decided to return my new inkjet printer (an all in one) for a new laser because I relaly want to make this job easier and as productive as possible. Thanks I will let you know how it goes. ...

Unfortunately, e-docs are not always peaches and cream, but instead PITA docs, so a laser won't necessarily make this job easier. As for not receiving the docs the day/night before your actual signing, I rarely get them before the morning of the signing or afternoon for evening signings.

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/2/04 9:20pm
Msg #7239

Be calm. It's likely the borrowers will consider you are an authority on this subject, so you will have control of the situation if you do not panic.

Put things in perspective. The fact that you are stressed means you are going to try to do a good job. The worst thing that can happen is that you completely blow it. No one can eat you or stop you from being a signing agent.

As soon as you have your hands on the docs, get a piece of blank paper and neatly write or type in letters large enough so that it can easily be seen:
09/03/04
3rd day of September, 2004
September 3, 2004
(Because you may need all three forms of the date and you will be surprised how much this will help you if the borrowers are nervous.)

Next, find the Deed of Trust (or First Mortgage Lien or Mortgage) and print the Borrower's name(s) out like it is in the Deed of Trust.

Underneath that in smaller letters put "(RTC is September 8, 2004)"

Next, find the number(s) that you call if there are problems and write it on the back of that page--clip the page to the top of the stack before your appointment.

Pull the Right to Cancel to the top and start with that document so they remember that there is a 3-day recission period--unless, of course, you are told to do the docs in a certain order. The escape hatch of the RTC usually makes for a smoother signing if it is done at the beginning rather than the end.

When you get to the appointment, introduce yourself with a firm handshake, talk little, keep your composure, do not accept a drink or food.

Lay the page on the table and use it to refer to. At the beginning, you can refer to the page and say, "This is how you need to sign your name unless the documents you are signing has your name printed otherwise. In that case, sign the way it is on the document."

You can use the sheet to stay more focused. Don't burn up your mental energy trying to recall these little details. The Borrowers will refer to the sheet and interrupt your thought process less.

Do not act like you are nervous or in a hurry. The borrowers may interpret this as rushing them.

Go through the stack one document at a time, be calm and take it one step at a time. Do not tell the borrower that it is your first signing. If questions arise that you do not understand, explain that as the notary it would be better for someone involved with the loan to answer that question and then, use the number on the back of the page. If no one is available, refer them to the date on the page you made and remind them of the 3 day recission period which in this case is September 8.

One more note--show the borrowers you have a copy for them, but I usually place them at the end of the table away from them or put them in a chair so they will not "get into them." If they do that, you will have less control, docs will get mixed up and it will be hard to manage the docs (and the Borrowers) because they will read and not pay attention and drag it all out.

It will get easier.

Reply by HisHughness on 9/2/04 9:30pm
Msg #7241

For every closing, I give the borrower a rescission calendar, downloaded off the Internet, with the date of signing and rescission deadline circled. For my own use, for every closing I fill out the following form as I go through the closing, to make sure that I don't miss any steps:

Closing checklist

Oath

Check $__________ Not required__________

Ink ____Blue ____Black ____Unspecified

Driver license, Social Security, other _______________________

Identification signed

Notary book

Rescission calendar

Card

Explanation of Signing Agent role

Explanation of requirements for name signing

Error correction

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/2/04 9:41pm
Msg #7244

I like your list. Thanks for sharing that. I have a copy of your procedure list as well. I keep a checklist for every appointment.

And, for new folks, the sooner they get a list of procedures or a system down, the better. One day the phone will ring off the wall and it you have two signings in a day, then three --so SA's need to get a system down asap--even if it seems silly when your calendar is bare.

Be pro-active and do everything you can ahead of time! I even try to iissue an nvoice ahead of time and have it ready to go when the package goes back or to send via fax after having the tracking number.

Reply by lynnboop on 9/2/04 9:44pm
Msg #7245

I feel honored to have recieved your input to my first signing experience. Thanks a bunch!!

Reply by lynnboop on 9/2/04 9:40pm
Msg #7243

Brenda TX , Thank you so much for that run down. I feel more confident having been given your advise. I really appreciate your time and patience with this newbie. I will let you know how it goes.

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/2/04 9:47pm
Msg #7247

You are welcome. I like Hugh's list a lot--I am sure you already saw it. I always tend to keep things in my head, but that's probably why my buddy, Hugh, is a lawyer, a writer, and consultant among other things-- getting paid the big bucks -- and I'm a "Cowgirl." (:>)

Reply by HisHughness on 9/2/04 10:00pm
Msg #7251

Brenda/TXXX demurred:

***and I'm a "Cowgirl."***

Maybe. But Brenda don't put up with none of that thar BS.

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/2/04 10:01pm
Msg #7252

Brenda,
Great beginner advice, but don't forget to check ID's the first thing, and get the journal signed and fingerprinted.

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/2/04 10:35pm
Msg #7256

Carolyn states above: "Great beginner advice, but don't forget to check ID's the first thing, and get the journal signed and fingerprinted."

Absolutely. Good point.

I posted assuming she had some practical notarizing experience under her belt and focused my post on the first loan signing jitters she mentioned.

I am not sure what state she's in as of this post, but, fortunately, in Texas, we are not required to do the fingerprinting.

Reply by lynnboop on 9/2/04 10:50pm
Msg #7258

I am in NY and we do not have to fingerprint either. When I called the borrowers to set up time I reminded them to have proper ID ready. And I've got my journal ready for its first entry.

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/2/04 11:00pm
Msg #7263

I think you are going to do a great job. Let us know.

Reply by Brenda J Khan on 9/2/04 11:09pm
Msg #7264

For your own protection I would finger print whether it is required or not. I do, and FL is not required either, but if an identity conflict should arise I have proof other than a possibly forged signature and possibly fake ID. Just my suggestion. BK-FL

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/2/04 11:30pm
Msg #7268

Brenda Khan: "For your own protection I would finger print whether it is required or not. I do, and FL is not required either, but if an identity conflict should arise I have proof other than a possibly forged signature and possibly fake ID. Just my suggestion. BK-FL"

That's an interesting idea. I'd like to hear what the wizards on board have to say about it.

I just got my concealed handgun license written and shooting test finished. In the process of doing my huge application I got the impression from CHL laws that you have to be licensed to do it or it's not legit for government standards. Not, of course, for your own personal use, I suppose, but I wonder if you have to be licensed to request and perform a finger printing on a government document like the State of Texas / FBI required of me--that is, to go before a peace officer or other person licensed in fingerprinting.

I realize this is not the same thing, but since the notary journal is a government document it just makes me think I might need to find that out before I do it.

Reply by Andy_WA on 9/3/04 3:07am
Msg #7278

I second that to Brenda Khan, WA required neither a journal/fingerprint, but I do them anyway. I think fingerprinting is the only best "physical ID" of the signer. FP completes a row of the journal entry and may deter fraud since paper ID can be falsified (i.e ID theft).

Most banks do not cash check for non-members, but those that do would require the casher's thumb print on the check being cashed.

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/3/04 9:54am
Msg #7291

You are right and that's a good point.

Reply by Kathy-PA on 9/3/04 7:00am
Msg #7282

Brenda,

Good idea to have that "cheat sheet" for both you and the borrower (date, properly spelled name, recission date, etc.) - I would also include the social security number(s) for them to verify - I just had a signing where the SS#s were switched on the spouses, so was glad we verified the information.

I'm going to create a form with the info you suggested and try to use it with each closing -thanks.

Kathy-PA

Reply by Justme-Ca on 9/2/04 10:20pm
Msg #7254

Thank you everyone !!!
Good luck lynnboop let us know.
Loved the list

Reply by Donna_CA on 9/3/04 1:27am
Msg #7274

I'm a one month newbie and still waiting for my first signing. Using the time to gather information and resources, market myself, and set up my filing and bookkeeping system. Excellent advice all around. Good luck lynnboop on your first signing. I'm excited for you.

Reply by Irene on 9/3/04 9:58am
Msg #7293

If your signing is closer to your work than your home have the doc's delivered to your work. If you return your all in one remember you will still need a copier and a fax. If you wanted to wait till you can afford a laser have your doc's send to a office supply place or a copy store to print. It's also good to know these places in case you get an assignment on the road and are to far from home to go back and print. also not all e-mail doc's need a laser printer some will print to a jet printer althou not as fast.

Reply by Anonymous on 9/3/04 11:42am
Msg #7307

Lynnboop

I have a FT job to but mine is flexible. If Iam receiving overnight docs the day of the signing. I have someone call me at work when the truck has dropped the docs off (Like my teenager or a neighbor you can trust). Then I ask my boss if I can leave then you can go home and review them before your signing. This way you are not wondering if your docs are there or not. I work 20 mile from my house and have planned to do signing on that side of town and I always have a back up plan. Hope this also helps.

Margaret/CO

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.