Notary Rotary
Notary-
Notary Discussion History

Notary-
Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by Rachel_CA on 9/18/04 3:32pm
Msg #8285

Notary-

Hello, I had a signing to do this morning, and had a question on one of the forms. I wasn't to should how to complete it correctly.

Sworn to and subscribed by the above affiant before me, the undersigned Notary Public on this _____________ Day of _____________,__________

Notary Public in and for _____________________
County, _________________________________

Reply by Rachel_CA on 9/18/04 3:34pm
Msg #8286

I wasn't to sure on the Notary Public in and for part..

Reply by Nd_WA on 9/18/04 3:41pm
Msg #8289

Notary Public in and for "STATE" you are commissioned.

Reply by Rachel_Ca on 9/18/04 3:49pm
Msg #8292

That's not what I did... I entered the ss company name

Do you think they will kick it back?

Reply by HisHughness on 9/18/04 3:51pm
Msg #8293

Rachel, I'm sorry. What is it about the form that you didn't understand? It's a simple notarization for a jurat. Do you recognize that term?

Reply by Rachel_CA on 9/18/04 3:56pm
Msg #8294

I know what a jurat looks like, but I wasn't to sure about the "for"part.. Now I know. Thank you

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 9/18/04 4:06pm
Msg #8296

Gentle Suggestion

Please do not take this a criticism, we were all new once, but I would strongly suggest you seek some addtional basic Notary Training. Your question indicates that you still have quite a bit to learn. I would hate to see you mess something up and get a bad rep with title cos and signing services. There are a number of good sources, including the Natioanl Notary Association, American Society of Notaries, The Signing Registry, nwflnotary.com, etc.

Reply by Loretta Reed on 9/18/04 4:56pm
Msg #8299

Re: Gentle Suggestion

I agree with you Bob. I do have to give some constructive criticism. Why are you taking on these signings already and you do not understand a simple jurat? My first couple of signings, I had an experienced closer come with me and meet me before the closing to tell me exactly what to do. I used "flags" to guide me on where they should sign and initial and where I should sign and notarize. I have learned the hard way. Several years ago when I started this, I made some of the same simple mistakes and never got called back to do another closing because I did not know some simple steps that I should already know before I started doing closings on my own. Don't make this mistake, they (title companies/signing companies)will not use you again. Most have a "3 strikes, you're out" policy that can be used in many areas of the closing process.

Reply by Roger/OH on 9/18/04 6:22pm
Msg #8310

In your example, the correct wording would be in and for the County you are doing the signing in, then California.

The ss/lender should certainly kick it back as it can't be recorded the way you did it. You may have to go back out and have the doc re-signed at no additional charge to the ss.

Listen to the posters that suggested you bone up on your notary skills - it's good advice, as this is very basic notary stuff; you will hopefully be better prepared for your next signing. Good luck.

Reply by Rachel_Ca on 9/18/04 7:25pm
Msg #8316

I guess I wanted to see "State of" and "County of" like every of Acknowledgement and Jurat I've seen. I've never seen this one before..

Notary Public in and for _____________________

County, _________________________________

Thanks for all your comments.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/18/04 11:01pm
Msg #8332

You really put the signing service name on the first line? Simple logic didn't tell you that it was like every other acknowledgement and jurat that you've seen? What on earth made you think that THIS document would want the name of the signing service instead of the state?

You asked earlier if it'll be kicked back to you. It was completely incorrectly (and boneheadedly I might add), what do you think they'll do with it? You really have to ask that as well? Of COURSE they're going to require a new one, the one you gave them has no legal status.

If I were you I would kiss off any hope of getting any future business from this signing service, this type of mistake is really inexcuseable for a notary, even a brand new one.

Reply by Hampton/CA on 9/19/04 12:15am
Msg #8346

Did the jurat have a venue at the top and did you fill it in correctly? (State and county) If you did, it might fly, since the wording at the end of the jurat is not necessary in a CA jurat. In CA, you need the venue, date, proper jurat wording, your signature, and your seal. The extra wording isn't necessary and might slip by, but that's up to the document preparer.

Reply by BOb-Chicago on 9/19/04 4:19pm
Msg #8378

Lighten Up

THere is no reason to jump all over someone for asking a Newbie Question. The point had been made that more training was needed. You don't have to insult someone or try to scare them off for asking a question. That is one of the purposes of this board.

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 9/19/04 5:09pm
Msg #8380

Prior post directed to Calinotary

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/19/04 6:11pm
Msg #8386

Re: Lighten Up

Sorry, but I disagree. People like that SHOULD be scared off from this profession. Somebody who doesn't know anything that basic should NOT be doing loan signings. And that she said "I guess I wanted to see "State of" and "County of" like every of Acknowledgement and Jurat I've seen" shows that she can't be that much of a newbie, she's obviously seen a few documents.

There are newbie mistakes and there is just complete cluenessness. Somebody who doesn't know the most basic of basic notary details and doesn't even have the common sense to be able to figure out something that simple is a person who shouldn't be let anywhere near a set of loan documents. And I have no problem stating that bluntly. Personally, I think that the people who treat this as "just another newbie" question are doing her a disservice because she'll think that it is normal and ok to not know this kind of stuff. And it's not.

I'd be willing to bet that this is another one of the NNA's "success stories".

Reply by Notary2 on 9/19/04 7:00pm
Msg #8388

What do you mean by this? I'd be willing to bet that this is another one of the NNA's "success stories".

Reply by Roger/OH on 9/19/04 11:49pm
Msg #8413

Re: Lighten Up - NNA

What CaliNotary is referring to is the seemingly endless flow of people sucked in by NNA's
promises of "Part-time effort, full-time income" and "earn up to $125 in about an hour". Many of these folks have no concept of the history or responsibility of the office of Notary Public, only that you have to be one to do loan signings. These people subsequently expect dozens
of instant signing assignment calls, and the notary boards are full of those saying "I've been commissioned for a whole week - why haven't I been called yet??". When they do get an assignment, they often find themselves in over their heads; they are unfamiliar with the documents, how to properly notarize them (or basic notary law), or how to deal with borrowers or deadbeat ss. Again, just read the boards for countless tales of woe from newbies who received a very rude awakening to the real world of being a notary and doing loan signings. It's NOT the easy money, rosy picture that NNA paints as they keep recruiting more and more unsuspecting people to fill their coffers with new dues-paying members. I'm sure CaliNotary was using this person's inability to perform a simple jurat as an example of the kind of quality he/she feels NNA is turning out.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/20/04 2:31am
Msg #8415

Thank you Roger, that is EXACTLY what I meant.

Reply by Roger/OH on 9/20/04 9:30am
Msg #8426

There aren't too many "professional" organizations that can continuously manufacture their own members!

Reply by HisHughness on 9/20/04 10:39am
Msg #8436

That's quite true. Many, perhaps even most, seek to limit access to the professions to ensure limited competition for existing members. Excellent examples are the bar and the medical professsion.

Reply by HisHughness on 9/20/04 10:47am
Msg #8438

Roger said:

***There aren't too many "professional" organizations that can continuously manufacture their own members!***

I note that in my previous posting I did not include Roger's quote, so many of you may not have known what I was talking about when I said: "That's quite true. Many, perhaps even most, seek to limit access to the professions to ensure limited competition for existing members. Excellent examples are the bar and the medical professsion."

Reply by sue on 9/19/04 7:20pm
Msg #8394

CaliNotary was a little tough in the delivery but the correct message was tucked in there. you must know how to be a notary before you can be a signing agent. these docs come from all over the country and I've seen some of the strangest notary blocks that I never would have imagined existed. if you know your notary laws for your state, you know what they're actually trying to have you do and you can substitute your own verbage to be compliant with your laws.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.