Notary Rotary
Printers
Notary Discussion History

Printers
Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by mimi_NJ on 9/11/04 3:48pm
Msg #7739

Printers

Well, after spending $200.00 for a HP 1012 printer in April I broke down yesterday and bought a HP 1300. THe good news is that HP is offering a $100 rebate which is good until next month. If anyone is looking to buy the 1300 this would be a good time.

Mimi

Reply by yumpuckers on 9/11/04 9:43pm
Msg #7771

why did you decide you needed a 1300 after purchasing a 1012? i must have missed something

Reply by Ali-IL on 9/11/04 10:56pm
Msg #7776

My 1012 prints docs just fine. But, when got to 33 pages, it started smoking!

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 9/12/04 7:15am
Msg #7786

The HP Laserjet 1012 does not support PCL5 or 6. It is a host-based printer, which means it uses the Windows GDI (Graphics Device Interface) to render the page. This is fine for documents that are in PDF format or with utilities that allow you to print in "Windows format", such as Swiftview. For those times when edocs arrive in eLynx, GMD or many of the other formats designed for PCL printers, the 1012 will not be able to print them.

The HP Laserjet 1300 is the "bottom" of the line of acceptable printers that support PCL. And HP is the only printer that truly supports PCL natively. (All other manufacturers use PCL emulation which may or may not work with all document formats.)

Reply by Bill Brush on 9/12/04 10:02pm
Msg #7808

I am new at this and I am trying to decide which printer to buy. I also need the best possible quality fax machine for my Real Estate Appraisal busines. I am finding it hard to read certain numbers and letters from a fax. I am using an HP T45 all in one for my fax. I have an HP D145 all in one for printing and copier. Both ink jets. I know I need a laser printer and have used in teh past an HP 2300. It was great as it supported both 8 1/2 X 14 and 8 1/2 X 11. I have been looking at Canon which have fax machines that print and copy too in laser and a copier of Canon's that fax and prints but their dpi for printing is only 600 X 600 and HP is 1200 X 1200. Any suggestions???

I appreciate an thoughts you might have for me.

Thanks,

Bill Brush
[e-mail address]

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/12/04 10:46pm
Msg #7812

"And HP is the only printer that truly supports PCL natively. (All other manufacturers use PCL emulation which may or may not work with all document formats.)"

Has anybody actually encountered this or is it just something that HP is using as a marketing angle? I have a Brother 8220 and have never had the slightest problem getting it to print any edocs and I've received them in all sorts of formats.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 9/13/04 12:19am
Msg #7821

To be quite honest, I personally have NOT seen any proof that the Brother printer had problems with some PCL file. However, I have heard that it has happened. Likewise, I haven't seen any proof with the later generation of Cannon printers. Xerox (I think or Kodak) PCL emulator had some bugs in it that caused very strange things to happen when a system font wasn't available.

It is true that only HP support PCL natively since they developed it and have the patent on it. However, most PCL packages from the current crop of warehousing software still uses PCL4 syntax and command structure which the emulators should have no problem handling. The problem arises when the documents use some "unique to HP" functions or commands in PCL5e or PCL6 that isn't included in the emulator. The jury is still out on whether or not that will happen. But my philosophy is why tempt fate? Besides, HP has an outstanding reputation (not saying Brother doesn't) and has been in the industry since the first HP Hammer and chisel was offered to the cavemen.

Reply by HisHughness on 9/13/04 10:56am
Msg #7833

PAW said:

***HP has an outstanding reputation (not saying Brother doesn't) and has been in the industry since the first HP Hammer and chisel was offered to the cavemen.***

PAW was there to accept it on behalf of the cavemen.

Reply by pls on 9/13/04 1:49am
Msg #7824

I have a Brother 5150D with two trays. The only problem I have ever encountered is printing documents for Ameriquests new program, they print fine but it will not select paper size and will only pull from tray one so I need to load legal paper for all documents. Fortunately Ameriquest does not mind, but I would like to resolve it. Otherwise it works great.

Reply by Jon on 9/13/04 10:12am
Msg #7831

The 5150 will not detect sizes unless the program you're printing from tells it which size to pull. Some viewers (like Swiftview) don't do that. Just keep the legal in tray one and letter in tray two, that way if the program does tell it which size to pull your ok, and if it doesn't, it will pull from tray one and your still ok. Leaving the onboard detection off was one of the ways they were able to keep the price down for that printer.

Reply by nj_newbie on 9/12/04 11:05pm
Msg #7815

Mimi where are you located in NJ? I live in Northern nj and am not getting many call backs. how long have you been doing this?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.