Questions
Notary Discussion History

Questions
Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by Nd_WA on 9/18/04 5:11pm
Msg #8302

Questions

I'm ready for a website of my own and the questions are:
1. Did you build your own or hired someone to do it?
2. How much did you pay?
3. How much does it cost (anually) to maintain such a site?
4. Do you promote/use affilate program (get pay per click) on your site, if yes, how much?

TIA...Andy

Reply by HisHughness on 9/18/04 5:47pm
Msg #8306

I get my website through Earthlink, which provides my cable Internet connection. I think I pay about $20 a month. Earthlink provides a program, called Trellis, which provides templates for website pages. I used that. I taught desktop publishing for one semester at Texas State University, so I would have preferred to use a DTP program, but I don't have the computer skills to transition it into a webpage. There are several things I don't like about the Trellis templates, but if you don't have DTP or website composition skills, it's probably about as good as it gets. I think you can have several websites through Earthlink; in fact, I am in the process of building another one for a small PR/speechwriting operation I have with my lovely and talented wife, who doesn't wear an eyepatch but does wear a...never mind. She probably would rather you not know that.

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/18/04 6:05pm
Msg #8309

Hugh said "my lovely and talented wife, who doesn't wear an eyepatch but does wear a...never mind. She probably would rather you not know that."

Sorry everyone -- I think I'm responsible for at least the eyepatch statement.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 9/18/04 5:55pm
Msg #8308

Nd (aka Andy) in WA asked the following:

>>>1. Did you build your own or hired someone to do it?<<<

I built my own site. I use Front Page and also direct HTML programming.

>>>2. How much did you pay?<<<

Obviously, not enough. Smiley I don't have much (if any) creativity in my blood. I'm an engineer (and not the choo-choo type, Hugh) so things are pretty much rigid and non-dimensional in my environment.

>>>3. How much does it cost (anually) to maintain such a site?<<<

I have a great web host (http://www.rcthost.com). He offers great prices and many nice utility software addons. But, website design is still up to you. There are many designers out there willing to take your money and get your started, if necessary.

>>>4. Do you promote/use affilate program (get pay per click) on your site, if yes, how much?<<<

I have not considered using any "pay per click" stuff on my site. I don't run a store. However, I am exploring that capability and then may include affilated sites and/or "click n'pay" with that.

Feel free to stop by my site (http://www.PAWnotary.com) and critque it. I do consider all the sites that I manage and maintain, including my own, to be moving targets. I really detest websites and webmasters that let a site stagnate with outdated information and broken links.

Reply by lynnboop on 9/18/04 8:18pm
Msg #8321

PAW , I really like your website. I like that you gave the definition of a notary public first thing. I noticed that you are Certified by NNA. I thought you were one of those olbies that didn't care too much for NNA. Anyway regardless nice website and info.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 9/19/04 7:14pm
Msg #8390

Thank you Lynn. (In regards to my website.)

Yes, I am NNA certified (at least for another month or so), but I don't care for the NNA and what it has done to the industry the past few years. The only reason I am NNA certified is that, believe it or not, some companies and agency do think the NNA is the be-all for the notary signing agent. I am no longer an NNA member, I don't use their products and I will not be renewing my "certification" with them. (Of course, I don't understand how a practicing Notary Signing Agent can loose the skills to be "certified" other than loosing the dollars to pay for it again, and again, and again. But that's a different topic.)

Reply by FB/CA on 9/18/04 6:34pm
Msg #8311

Website

I made my own. I use Macromedia Dreamweaver. MS Frontpage and even MS Word can make webpages. Many hosting services let you use their templates; cheap and easy (but not always pretty).

SInce I made my own, I did not pay anything, but I did invest quite a few hours of my time... and time is money. I spent about 5 hours.. maybe 6 if I include all the times I went back and tinkered. Most graphic designers/web designers will charge about $50 per hour, so the going rate is probably about $300 for a simple site like mine. For a while I was making notary websites based on my template, and I was charging $200 (using my own template saves time). But I'm no longer offering that service... there are lots of designers out there who are; find a site you like on a notary ring and ask who the notary's designer was.

Hosting a site on a server is about $10/month for a basic package, and about $20/month if you need more space and advanced server features. My friend owns a server, so I am lucky to have him host mine on barter.

I just use my site as an online brochure, and don't expect to get search-engine traffic. I have never looked into paying for clicks.

My website: http://www.berys.com/notary
My main site: http://www.berys.com

Good luck!

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/18/04 8:44pm
Msg #8325

I built my own with Front Page and host with Bravenet.com for about $87/yr. I do not use "pay per clicks" but I do honor and use reciprocal links.

Reply by Nd_WA on 9/19/04 3:10am
Msg #8350

Re: One last Question

Did your site generate business call(s), how and what's the ratio relative to your other marketing campaigns?

As usual, thank you all for your great inputs.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/19/04 2:56pm
Msg #8376

Re: One last Question

I'd say 90 percent of my business comes from my website. The rest is word of mouth and networking. I had sent out flyers to lenders, mtg.co's, escrow co's but not a big response from them.

Reply by Carolanne_PA on 9/19/04 8:23am
Msg #8351

I tried building my own site but wasn't satisfied with the results. Then I found Jeannie at www.radar-web-works.com. Shes been very helpful and responsive. Her site has examples of her work. The cost depends on the number of pages. I thought it was reasonable after talking to others. Web hosting for the year was under $100. I haven't used a pay per click. The primary goal for the site was to use it as a marketing tool. Any printed advertisements I send out has the website listed as a way of obtaining additional information.

Reply by Jon on 9/20/04 10:39am
Msg #8435

I'm building mine using a program called NetFusion. I'm using one of the templates they provide for the base layout. There are some other things I want to do that I will have a friend do, as I don't know html. Webhosting, do a search and you will get a lot of responses. I found hosting from $3 to $80 a month. I chose one that is $5 a month and I had to pay 6 months in advance. You also have to consider the domain registration fees. My webhost pays for the registration and registers it in my name. You will also find a lot of sites that give you info on what to look for when deciding on a webhost, I suggest reading those.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.