Notary Rotary
State certification and/or licensing
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by newest nebie on 9/16/04 9:27pm
Msg #8131

Okay, all you wonderful experienced Signing Agents. : )

I've been visitng a few ss websites to obtain preliminary items/qualifications for Signing Agent"sign ups". I've noticed that some ask for copies of State licensing and/or Certifications.

In addition to my NYS Notary License, is it pertinant or beneficial that I disclose that I hold a NYS Insurance License, NASD Series 6& 63 Securites license?

Thanks!!

Reply by Loretta Reed on 9/16/04 9:38pm
Msg #8133

I am licensed title producer in Maryland. Thank God that we, in Maryland, have to be a Licensed Title Producer and not just a notary. It really separates the "men from the boys".
I believe that having your insurance license is a definite plus, the title companies will take you more seriously if you "really" know what you are doing. I have pretty much skipped over the signing companies and gone right to the attorneys and title companies.

Reply by Loretta Reed on 9/16/04 9:38pm
Msg #8134

AND I DON"T GET PAID $50 or $75. I get paid $100 and up.

Reply by newest newbie on 9/16/04 9:54pm
Msg #8135

Hi Loretta,

I'm glad to hear you are getting paid for your hard work : ). I am in the process of focusing on Title and Mortgage companies in my area, in additon to signing companies. My Insurance license is in the field of Life, health & variable annuities. I'm not to sure what specific type of Insurance licensing Title companies need or look for?

There are so many types of Insurance licenses.

Thanks for your input.

Reply by Loretta Reed on 9/17/04 6:56am
Msg #8172

I thought that you had an insurance license to sell title insurance, that is what I have. You reallllly are a newbie. You will have a long time before the title companies use you directly, unless you do not disclose to them that you are new.
Be patient, this is what you asked for. It took me 2 years to take this on full time with companies that I can trust. I have weeded out most of the $75 signings.

Reply by newest newbie on 9/17/04 7:14am
Msg #8174

Good Morning Loretta,

I assumed that the Insurance needed to be specific to the Title companies : ) I am a newbie to the specific SIGNING AGENT business, but not to the process itself. I have been in the Banking business for 16 years and have origninating and closing experience with Mortgages(2yrs) and Home equities (16 yrs). I feel confident that this will help me with marketing myself to local Title and Mortgage companies. I also have some connections with a few local Title and Mortgage companies.

I welcome your thoughts and suggesstions on this. Thanks, KG

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/17/04 1:18pm
Msg #8190

KG,

I hope you continue to lurk and post.

You sound like you have insight on the business all the way around and can contribute a great deal to the rest of us!

If you are not a member of the SigningRegistry.com, please consider it.

Looking forward to reading whatever you have to share.

Welcome!

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/17/04 1:57pm
Msg #8191

I'd think that any kind of securities or insurance licensing you have would reflect a good deal on your professionalism, integrity, and abilities.

I would disclose it.

The mortgage loan processing experience I had, plus my experience as a notary and RE/Probate legal secretary working a good deal with title companies in the past has been the route several companies took to circumvent requirements regarding "Years of Signing Experience."

Some lenders and title companies require criteria of a certain number of loans or years of signing experience which must be achieved before covering loan assignments.

On the phone, I have been screened for understanding certain terms and covering my experience/resume. The result is they put me into the database as having 8 - 10 years in the industry.

If you can get on the phone with a signing company, if you choose to go that route, you can hammer on the points you have mentioned and I suspect it will qualify you immediately for signing. Title companies and lenders would recognize what the licenses mean immediately.

(Another little piece of my scattered learning is:

The less you say about your really good clients and what your bottom line price is in the beginning on a public forum, the better for you.

Your competition will use that information to undercut you and market themselves directly to your clients. I comment very little on who I do business with but will give an honest assessment when asked directly about any company. I am not to the point where I can give out a lot of information on who I do business with, but lots of folks here are, thank goodness.

When I do comment, I give out no pay information.)

Does that help?

Reply by HisHughness on 9/17/04 2:19pm
Msg #8193

Brenda/TX commented:

***Some lenders and title companies require criteria of a certain number of loans or years of signing experience which must be achieved before covering loan assignments.***

And, of course, since there is absolutely no way they can cross-check what you tell them, you can always lie like hell.

Reply by Jon on 9/17/04 6:16pm
Msg #8220

Hugh suggested:

"...you can always lie like hell."

Unfortunately Hugh, the rest of us aren't lawyers like you, so our conscience gets in the way.Smiley

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/17/04 6:19pm
Msg #8221

You tell him, Jon!

Reply by newest newbie on 9/17/04 8:32pm
Msg #8232

Loretta, Brenda and of course Hugh,

Thank you so much for your comments/suggesstions. I have enjoyed this forumn and
I've learned a great deal as a newbie. I've been spending many hours a night reading everything on this site from the very beginning.

Hugh, you've made me laugh quite a few times with your comic responses. I've been enjoying your humor. I swear I am NOT Lying!! : ) LOL kg

Reply by Maria_NJ on 9/17/04 8:57pm
Msg #8235

I feel the same way. Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments : )

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.