Notary Rotary
$20 Fee to Apply????
Notary Discussion History

$20 Fee to Apply????
Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by Donna_CA on 9/5/04 3:12pm
Msg #7430

$20 Fee to Apply????

As a 1 month newbie, I'm sending applications to as many companies as possible. For the first time, I ran across a company, A & M Closing Service, that is asking for a $20 fee along with the Notary application. How common is this?

Until today, all the applications I have sent didn't require a fee, other than the cost of faxing or mailing the application itself. Stretching advertising dollars is hard enough without also having to pay an application fee. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/5/04 4:48pm
Msg #7435

It's a ripoff. No reputable company is going to charge it's notaries a fee to be listed in it's signing agent database. Pass this one up.

Reply by Roger/OH on 9/5/04 7:28pm
Msg #7439

Unless they will GUARANTEE you x number of signings a month, pass it up. There are hundreds of free ones out there.

Reply by NC Notary on 9/5/04 9:11pm
Msg #7442

Is this something they just recently started doing? I don't recall anything about a $20 fee for signing up, and it hasn't been that long ago that I signed up with them.

Reply by nah_AR on 9/5/04 11:03pm
Msg #7449

***Is this something they just recently started doing?***

I agree with you. It has not been very long ago since I signed up with this company, and there was definately no fee involved.

Reply by Donna_CA on 9/5/04 11:25pm
Msg #7451

Thanks for all your feedback. For those who asked whether this is their current policy, I can only say that as of today this is a direct copy of what their website states:

Notaries

Notary Packet Instructions:

1. Download and complete the Notary Packet.

2. Mail completed notary packet and $20.00 check for processing to:

A&M Closing Service
27001 La Paz Rd #418
Mission Viejo, Ca. 92691

Check can be made payable to: A&M Closing Service

3. One of our representatives will contact you once we have a signing in your area.

Reply by p mcdonald/ca on 9/5/04 11:40pm
Msg #7452

Yes Donna you are correct. I went into this website last week and saw the $20 sign-up fee. I closed the window on it and decided to move on to other companies. I personally do not see what the $20 fee is for.

Reply by sue on 9/6/04 11:02am
Msg #7469

perhaps they need this $20 to help fund their own further education & for some legal consultations since the owner, Deborah Adams, is under the impression that the faxed copies are required by the various recorders around the country when originals are lost or misplaced and Ali had to come on public message boards to find out what was going on in Georgia, rather than consulting an attorney for a very important legal opinion.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.