Notary Rotary
first time
Notary Discussion History

first time
Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by dawn m payne on 9/23/04 12:54pm
Msg #8679

first time

hi my name is dawn payne i am a first time notary i am having a little trouble getting work could someone please give me a few pointers on how to go about this?

thank you

Reply by Dotti_CA on 9/23/04 1:05pm
Msg #8680

Hugh, I think this is your cue!

Reply by HisHughness on 9/23/04 1:49pm
Msg #8689

Advice for new notaries

Above the menu of posts, click the "First" button. Go all the way to the very first post in June 2003, "Welcome to the General Discussion Forum." Read all the way to the last post today. You will find your answer many times over in the intervening messages, along with far better information about being a signing agent than you ever got in your certification course.

Reply by Ted_MI on 9/23/04 2:29pm
Msg #8692

Hugh,

By way of background, I am relatively new to all this but have spent time reviewing old messages. So far, I am back to the end of the first week of August. It has been very interesting and enlightening but also very time-consuming. Thus, with all due respect, I find your suggestion (to go back to the first post and then go through them all) to be rather impractical.

Trying not to offer criticism (constructive though it may be) without some potential rememdy, I would suggest in the future that you suggest to other newbies that they employ certain search terms to ascertain how to get started. A number that I have gleaned so far are "Newbies!", "Getting work", "signing opportunities", and "more signings". I presume that with all your experience on the board, you are aware of others that would be helpful.

Reply by HisHughness on 9/23/04 3:18pm
Msg #8696

Yes, reviewing all the messages is indeed time consuming. So is getting a Ph.D., or even a BA, for that matter. If you're going to make a full-time profession of this, it's worth it. I personally have found the search function good, but not great, only because it can't, as opposed to my lovely and talented wife, read my mind.

The only time-saving technique I could suggest would be to skip anything authored by HisHughness. Which also is similar to my lovely and talented wife, who likewise tunes out all my pronouncements.

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/23/04 3:26pm
Msg #8699

Ted_MI wrote: "It has been very interesting and enlightening but also very time-consuming. Thus, with all due respect, I find your suggestion (to go back to the first post and then go through them all) to be rather impractical.""

I disagree. If you begin reading with post #1, you will, no doubt, find repetition -- with repetition you will begin remembering -- I don't find anything impractical about it. By performing only searches, you will not get the big picture and will only be scratching at the surface.

Reply by Maria_NJ on 9/23/04 3:42pm
Msg #8702

Hi Dawn

You're not alone. What state are you in?

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/23/04 4:09pm
Msg #8707

Maria-NJ said "You're not alone"

What are you doing to change that so you will begin getting signings?

Reply by Maria_NJ on 9/23/04 4:30pm
Msg #8709

Carolyn,

I've registered with several signing agencies; took the certification course through NNA; I have read through these forums for suggestions. I have gotten 2 calls, but due to my lack of inexperience, I believe this is the reason why I am not receiving an abundant of calls.

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/23/04 5:07pm
Msg #8715

Maria_NJ said "I've registered with several signing agencies"

I believe you need to register with 25 or SS's a day and keep track of who you register with. I believe you also need to pay to be a premium member on boards such as this. You need to keep your name out there and follow-up with SS's. It may not be your lack of experience but rather the fact that your area is saturated with SA's -- if that's the case. How long have you been marketing yourself?

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/23/04 5:16pm
Msg #8717

Re: P.S.

Read the SS's on the No-No lists, but if one calls, don't immediately turn them down. I usually will do one signing for everyone that calls, if the conditions are right -- my availability, if they meet my rates, if the e-docs arrive within my time guidelines -- if I get burnt after the one signing, yeah, I'm out some money and time, but I won't do another signing for them. You will read about people being owed money from individual SS's, but what I don't understand is WHY they continue accepting signings with ta company already in arrears with them for several signings. Read all the posts, but use your own judgment.

Reply by Maria_NJ on 9/23/04 5:35pm
Msg #8719

I just got started in August, but I"m not doing this full time. Thanks for your input and suggestions. They are greatly appreciated

Reply by Kim - NJ on 9/23/04 6:29pm
Msg #8730

Maria...

what part of jersey are you in?

Reply by Maria_NJ on 9/23/04 7:06pm
Msg #8735

Kim,

I"m in Essex County..How about you?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.