Notary Rotary
i've seen it all
Notary Discussion History

i've seen it all
Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by mike/ca on 9/15/04 10:23am
Msg #7985

i've seen it all

was at my post office box the other day and couldn't believe my eyes, the notary that worked in the store was standing up doing a loan signing for a couple. curious i asked them later what they charged for that service and his reply was $30.00, shocked i then asked how many loan signings he had done and his reply was that was his first.

Reply by Maria_NJ on 9/15/04 6:22pm
Msg #8027

Hi Mike.. I was called for my first signing a few weeks ago. I was offered $25 to notarize a one page document. Could it be any worse lol

Reply by Jan Kohake on 9/15/04 7:44pm
Msg #8034

If this is a loan document and you were solicited by SS, lender, Title, and the borrower lives very closely, I'd take the $25. This is only one page. If this was someone asking you to notarize a document for them, unless you charge a travel, you wouldn't even get the $25 if there is only one signer.

Reply by Maria_NJ on 9/15/04 9:08pm
Msg #8046

I actually did accept the offer since this was my first signing, but unfortunately, there was a big mix up and the appt. had to be rescheduled for another day and time that I was unavailable. Thanks for the input

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/15/04 10:43pm
Msg #8053

Maria_NJ said "I was offered $25 to notarize a one page document. Could it be any worse lol"

Was the entire signing package only one page? -- or did it only include one page that needed notarized? If it was only one page, $25 would not be considered "any worse" IMO. Check NJ's notary law rates.

Reply by Kim / NJ on 9/16/04 12:47pm
Msg #8076

Assuming the couple came to him at his office where a "travel fee" could not be assessed, then he actually overcharged

22A:4-14. : "[listing of other notary fees]...

For administering oaths, taking affidavits and taking acknowledgments of the mortgagors in the financing of real estate, regardless of the number of such services performed in a single transaction to finance real estate, $25.00."

In response to Maria_NJ....
$25 for a single document? I wouldn't complain!

I just hope 22.50 of that was your travel fee. State law only allows $2.50 to be charged for an acknowlegement (assuming that is what it was...less for a jurat)

Reply by Kim / NJ on 9/16/04 12:53pm
Msg #8081

sorry just re-read the original post....realized not from NJ....my bad!!! <<embarassed>> LOL!!!

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/16/04 3:24pm
Msg #8096

Kim/NJ said "sorry just re-read the original post....realized not from NJ....my bad!!! <<embarassed>> LOL!!!"

Wasn't the post from Maria_NJ the one you were replying to? She wasn't the original poster, but she was the one complaining about $25 for a one page document.

Reply by Marie/CA on 9/16/04 1:47pm
Msg #8087

Sadly, many newbies are working for dirt cheap. 75.00 for edocs! Lowering the standard to get the jobs! They don't realize they aren't winning either. I guess it will take a little time for them to see. I know when I first started I worked my tail off on 50.00, 60.00, 65.00, 75.00 and an occassional 100.00 job. I was so thrilled . . . until I had the time to sit down and add up all my fees. I was very dissappointed to see that after all that hard work, time, headaches, running around, juggling the kids and work and that was all I got! It takes forever for those 50.00 signings to add up . . . especially when you consider all the work you put in . . 75.00 is okay but NOT if it includes email documents. Too much cost involved. JMHO.

Reply by mctinawall on 9/16/04 6:55pm
Msg #8120

But, if he knew the docs, why not? You don't have to be a signing agent to notarize; signing agent status, and certified signing agent states, just means you've had some specialized training. There are many, many notaries out there who have been in the business for many years, long before specialized training was available. Perhaps this was one.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.