Notary Rotary
quit-claim deed
Notary Discussion History

quit-claim deed
Go Back to September, 2004 Index

Posted by Sandra Schultz on 9/4/04 6:54pm
Msg #7396

quit-claim deed

I am doing my first notary signing on Monday...a quit-claim deed. Of course, I'm a bit nervous about it. I have looked at quit-claim deeds online so I can be familiar with the form. A couple of questions....can I be a witness to signatures on this form as well as notary? Also, if there are more than one person listed in the document (and present at the signing, too), how do I fill out my journal page...after filling out the document information, do I then just list the names and identification information of each person present and named in the document?

Thank you for any help.

Reply by Joan-OH on 9/4/04 9:21pm
Msg #7402

Sandra, list your state for a correct witness answer

nm

Reply by Sandra Schultz on 9/4/04 11:17pm
Msg #7410

Re: Sandra, list your state for a correct witness answer

California

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 9/5/04 9:55pm
Msg #7444

Dating

You will need a CA guru for witnessing and journal info, but be sure that the deed is dated on or before the date of the mortgage. You will, of course, notarize as of the date it is signed befoe you, but the date or the deed s/b as stated above.

Reply by Jon on 9/7/04 1:53pm
Msg #7504

I have never seen a QC deed that needed to be witnessed other than our notarization. As for filling out out your journal, most of the time you just fill in the blanks. For specific info on what needs to go into the journal visit:

www.ss.ca.gov/business/notary/notary_2004hdbk.htm#cc

Go to Government Code 8206.

Not trying to be mean, but filling out your notary journal should be something that you are very familiar with. In CA it is a required part of every notarization and will become even more detailed Jan. 1, 2005. Before you start doing signings on a regular basis I would suggest that you spend some time brushing up on notarial law. Remember that as a notary in CA, you have an UNLIMITED liability with regard to your notarizations. You definitely want to get it right.

Reply by Sandra Schultz on 9/8/04 6:20pm
Msg #7563

What confused me was when I started looking online at quit-claim deeds and some, in fact, had lines for witnesses. I researched in my notary manual and couldn't find any instruction. The signing went well. The form did not need any witnesses. I had a good look at the document so that I would be familiar with it the next time. And, I did, in fact, read up on procedures so that I felt confident with what I was doing. I was happy with how everything went. It is because I have UNLIMITED liability that I wanted to throw it out on the board to see if anyone was familiar with this form.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.