Notary Rotary
A bit of overkill?
Notary Discussion History

A bit of overkill?
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Paul Kelley on 4/19/05 1:40pm
Msg #32675

A bit of overkill?

Recently I conducted a signing where I had to notarize a Signature Affidavit. The LO only had the borrower's name (without middle initial) typed in the place for her signature. The actual loan, for the most part, didn't contain a middle initial but on a couple of the forms it did. Because of this, I had the borrower sign in the AKA area her name with her middle initial. Also, when we were done with the signing and I was checking for errors/omissions, I noticed that the borrower had used her middle name on her SS card. Since the SS was used as a second means of identification (required on one of the forms), I thought I should add this to the AKA area of the Signature Affidavit as well. Was this a bit of overkill? Should I have just let the borrower sign where the LO typed her name and be done with it?

Reply by Jay on 4/19/05 1:44pm
Msg #32676

More is always better. You did great.

Reply by Art_MD on 4/19/05 1:50pm
Msg #32679

You did fine.

I've had a AKA statement with a half a dozen AKAs. Borrower said that he hadn't used most in years, but, they must have appeared on some paper the lender had. i.e. name with JR. which he hadn't used in 15 years.
If the names you added are true AKA, you are fine.

Art

Reply by Paul Kelley on 4/19/05 1:57pm
Msg #32685

Thanks Jay,
I agree but sometimes I think I go overboard trying to make sure I crossed all the "I's" and dotted all the "T's".

Reply by Roger/OH on 4/19/05 1:57pm
Msg #32684

It's generally better to provide too much than not enough - you did fine.
Do put your state abbreviation on your posts though.

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/19/05 2:03pm
Msg #32687

Thanks Roger,

I'm new to this forum so bear with me. As you can see by this reply, I changed from my name to an alias and added my state. Let's hope it works!

Reply by Art_MD on 4/19/05 2:06pm
Msg #32690

Re: the extra step

Would you rather take the extra 3 minutes to study a document and add something, or make a second trip and have a fee reduction because you rushed?

As I think most seasoned SA will agree, we will complete a signing faster than a new SA. We were slow in the beginning too. Experience is a great teacher.

Good luck

Art

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/19/05 2:21pm
Msg #32692

I understand, Paul2...I felt I was overkilling inspections and wearing myself out.

I finally called to find out if they wanted this or not. No, of course they didn't, but then went on to explain...well...maybe, yeah a little overkill was really what they wanted; that is...if I did not want to go back and redo the inspections...better go ahead and overkill.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.