Notary Rotary
About competition...
Notary Discussion History

About competition...
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Cherilyn in CO on 4/5/05 11:24am
Msg #29704

About competition...

I was reading below the conversation between the new person, Linda and Hugh and I thought I'd post a little insight to people just starting out in the business-my own faux paux, I might add.

I've posted my story of how I became a signing agent. It just sort of fell into my lap and being the naive person I am, I told a few of my friends (and this was a few years back, even).

I get a phone call the other night. Someone I know now wants to be a signing agent (in my immediate area!) and wants pointers and tips on how to start out. She already has her commission and has started signing up with SS. She's registered with NNA and is going to get certified through them.

Is this a good thing? NO! Because of my big mouth, I've created my own competition! Granted, in my area we aren't saturated yet, but soon will be.

I guess my point is that I can understand Hugh's response. Maybe a little more curt than I would have been, but the same response none the less. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way.

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/5/05 11:40am
Msg #29706

One day I was working on-site out of one of my attorney client offices, but I had a signing to go to first. After the signing, I took the FedEx package into the office with me and deposited with their *own* FedEx shipments to be picked up later that morning. The receptionist, as the gatekeeper, asked me what was in the package and began asking me this, that and the other about loan signings and how she could use the extra money. I've gotten to know this individual throughout the years and she has had a hard time of it, so I told her what to search for on the Internet, gave her different forums to visit, etc., etc. Cherilyn I was lucker than you, because this woman has done no reserach on her own, NOTHING, and each time I see her she asks if I've brought her all the info. Am I going to just hand over everything to her? NO.

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/5/05 11:42am
Msg #29708

Re: lucker = luckier

Reply by Anonymous on 4/5/05 12:27pm
Msg #29718

I have to agree I have done the same thing and now wondering why I trained my competition. My situation I thought, I would meet the dilema head on & train this person give a ton of tips that I learned the hard way & our (non-written) agreement was that this person would not sign up with my aready established title/ss companies. Agreed!!!!!!!! Well - she would not open my email with my list of companies for 1 week (excuses). Still has not shown me her cards, resume, fee sheet & has contacted some of my clients with the excuse I haven't gotten to my emails. I have remained calm reminding this individual that this is not effective to both of us. The concept would be to throw each other closings when people call & that time is already taken. Well I guess lesson learned. We were to market together to further counties (now she can't this week) Good idea gone bad!!!!!!!!!! We are not great friends either which I thought would be perfect & he uses me for emotional support to keep going. The i'm scared & I don't know if I can do this? I think I made a mistake. What does anyone think. I am pissed at myself & this was all do to my light schedule bragging (great $ talks)

Reply by linda/ca on 4/5/05 12:33pm
Msg #29721

I have never been concerned with helping someone out in the industry. Most all of the individuals I have helped do not have the motivation or the drive to continue what it takes to be in this industry. Very few people know what it is like to be self employed and not get a regular paycheck. Time will weed out the individual's that think this is a quick "get rich business". I would just calm down and let time evolve.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/5/05 12:48pm
Msg #29724

Thank you I know your right

Reply by ssnotary on 4/5/05 2:01pm
Msg #29740

Yes, it would be marvelous to "Get Rich" I'll stick with my fulltime retirement safe position, the notary is frosting on the cake as well as just plain entertaining.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/5/05 10:44pm
Msg #29866

Some people just don't value the time of others.

I worked with a lady in another state for a few days attempting to explain how I got started, etc. Several things stood in her way...Finally, we agreed she could try to do medical affidavits.

Verbally explaining it seemed to confuse her so I wrote up "how to develop a medical affidavit business" just for her so that she could work on that part of the business until she had a laser printer, etc.

What started to out to be a quick overview, turned into around 11 pages. I sent it to her and said, I may finish this up to perfection and sell it one of these days! She said thanks. I said thanks for giving me a reason to get it all down on paper!

She also asked me to send her my business plan so she could copy it for a grant she thought she might be able to get.

Two weeks went by and she wrote twice and asked me if I had finished the medical affidavit info yet. No...been too busy. "But, you have ALL the really important points in your hands. Use it girlfriend!"

She said...
"Oh. I deleted it without reading it because I thought you said you'd be publishing it soon. Send it again, please."

Some dig in and work like crazy to get business and do well. When someone emails or calls me and asks "OMG, I just got ___, what do I do???" I will help like crazy.

Finally, I realized that the person who wants it handed over to them is not going to see it through anyhow. The lady who asked for a business plan did not want to think through the way to get to where she had to be, however, I do like her an awful lot as a person.

I don't help people get started any more unless they have a lot of research and need help clearing up the fog. This goes for friends, family and the notary world at large.

JMHO

Reply by ssnotary on 4/5/05 1:58pm
Msg #29739

Yes, I would agree you made a mistake, with that said, lesson learned and I bet that won't happen in your lifetime again. I have learned in life, the things I can't correct....let it go, it simply isn't worth beating yourself up!

Reply by Claudia_NJ on 4/5/05 2:06pm
Msg #29742

I had the same thing happen. I was talking to someone about it the office that already had a comission and wanted to get into this so I gave her the link to this forum so that she could do some reading up on the issues and get some background etc. well, that wasn't enough she wanted me to tell her about my contacts and miscellaneous info.

Needless to say I am not going to hold you hand and dump all the info on your lap. if you want it go get it. I did!

Reply by ZLee_Califia on 4/5/05 1:48pm
Msg #29737

On one of my early trips to a business to notarize a client, no less than two employees approached me, one at the reception area, and the other running after me asking how to become a Notary, as they wanted to do this on the side. Is it any wonder the owner, who said "we'll be calling you again should we need a Notary," hasn't called again? He's got two "pending" Notaries now in his business. It's almost comical.

Reply by PA Notary on 4/5/05 3:16pm
Msg #29767

Re: About competition...in the same vein

Years ago, before doing closings full time, I was a semi professional cocktail pianist and was involved with weekend mega sales of Grand Pianos for a major east coast liquidator. Any number of fellow players / salesmen would ask the secrets of playing professionally and sounding like a pro. Likewise, that craft is very competitive and each artist has his own secrets to his individual style and 'sound'. I was always very hesitant to share my methods, but occasionally give away a few secrets to some of the people who were good friends. I have found that it doesn't much matter how much info you give people as most will be too lazy to put it to use if it means effort on their part. Many times I would ask how my info was incorporated into their playing, and without exception, I would hear how they just hadn't gotten around to it yet. The same is true of the signing business...I once took a very close, long time friend with me to a signing and introduced him as a trainee as he was considering getting into the business. Since he lives over 100 miles from me, and after getting the borrower's permission to sit in, I let him observe. That was it! He was convinced that he could never do it and the subject has never come up again. Just goes to show ya !

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/5/05 10:58pm
Msg #29868

PA Notary - I really like you!

****I have found that it doesn't much matter how much info you give people as most will be too lazy to put it to use if it means effort on their part.****

If a person will march "into" a forum and ask people point blank to hand over their contacts, business secrets, etc. without even developing a degree of trust or relationship with those people, they are not worth the time required to answer them because they will not pursue this.

If you decline to answer, it's rude.

If you tell them how to find the answers for themselves, it does not matter how you say it, it makes them mad.

And, what is it with those people someone else mentioned who has to be coddled, reassured and seeks emotional support from their mentor?? That's one I have yet to figure out. The Texas Notary I mentored back in December and January is now a friend I call just to talk with about life in general. She is also such a go-getter she's handing me HER contacts and giving me HER ideas. I might already have some of what she gives me but I am proud as a peacock over excellent work and her give-back attitude. She's awesome. (Go Cindy!)

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 4/5/05 2:20pm
Msg #29750

What I found hillarious about Hugh and the Newbie

coversation. The info that he gave was factually true and this new person hadn't even read enough of the posts on this board to know what he or she was facing, that Hugh was several states away, and third that the some of the supposed supporters of this newbie, were in the same area and offered no ride along, and no sage advice worth a spit. :-) I guess it's do as I say, not as I do:-o

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/5/05 4:45pm
Msg #29790

Re: What I found hillarious about Hugh and the Newbie

Good observation. I also found it funny that Ms. Positivity somehow managed to call Hugh a jerk, greedy, said he should get a life, and said he might have been teased as a child. 4 insults in the space of one thread, yet she has the nerve to imply that she's somehow above it all by falesly labelling herself positive?

She obviously has no clue that she was being as big of a jerk as she said Hugh was. Even moreso, as she came on this board, didn't read a thing, asked a question that has been asked a zillion times, then got bitchy when she got the same answer we've given a zillion times. God help us if everyone on this board showed that kind of positivity.

People are so clueless sometimes, it cracks me up. Self awareness is a quality that is so often sorely lacking on this board.

Reply by Erna_CA on 4/5/05 6:57pm
Msg #29818

Re: What I found hilarious about Hugh and the Newbie

Maybe if there was a sign at the door as you entered this forum saying. read all posts and do a search before you ask any questions. I dose say ASK QUESTIONS OF YOUR PEERS.
Its amazing how you try and make it sound like newbies are lacking in any way, and use it as an excuse to put people down. I suggest you all read what it states at the top.
PLEASE USE THIS FORUM TO DISCUSS NOTRARIAL PROCEDURES, SHARE EXPERIENCES, ASK QUESTIONS OF OUR PEERS, ETC.
I do not see anywhere an invitation to freely attack new comers either.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/5/05 7:22pm
Msg #29826

Broken Record

Exactly how many posts to you plan to make with this same exact whine? You're obviously hypersensitive since you keep using the word "attack" to describe a simple discussion. This is how some of us talk in here, your continuous harping is not going to accomplish anything but more "attacks" on you.

Get over it already.

Reply by Erna_CA....cali on 4/5/05 7:34pm
Msg #29830

Re: Broken Record

And the puppet reacts. I wonder if the puppet master is watching and enjoying his power over you.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/5/05 7:41pm
Msg #29832

Wow, you are really really bad at this. But it's amusing as heck so please keep it up.

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/5/05 9:59pm
Msg #29852

Erna,
You are upset at the wrong people. The person you need to be angry at is KH, your young lad who bamboozled you. You may not like what Hugh and Cali and some of the rest of us say, but it is straight-forward and we don't hide our identities behind some alias. KH was the puppet. He stole your trust and then humiliated you using one of his many alias handles. KH is the past. Don't dwell on it. If you don't want to read posts from someone, i.e., me, Hugh, Cali, etc., pass by our/their name and don't even open up the message.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 4/6/05 3:57am
Msg #29886

Re: Carolyn

Caroyn I am not angry at anyone. I do find bad behavior ofensive and just happen to belive that there is nothing constructive in mistreating others, and it should not be too hard for folks to just not answear quiestions insted of lashing out. I watched what happend to Kh, and many that did watch it came to the same conclusion as I, he or she was young and easyly excitable and some here played on that, got under his or her skin and watched him or her crash. That is an ugly game. It worked. And why you call him my young lad is beond me I did not even know if Kh was male or female. He did not humiliate me in any way, he or she realized he or she had been had, and was lashing out at anyone, I did not take it personally.
And as far as not using aliases. Aliases are still being used to make snide little remarks so there are others that practice that. Name calling and rudeness is not strait forward, I don't have any problem with strait forward, I have seen a lot of rude and cruel remarks directed at folks, I just find it offensive.

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/6/05 8:55am
Msg #29894

Re: Carolyn

Erna,
All of us have bad days and our postings prove it. However, if you truly believe that someone's posts are rude, crude, cruel and offensive just ignore them and don't even open them. Don't egg them on by continuing to post what an awful and offensive person they are. Myself, I have 3-5 posters that I don't read or even open when I see their name, and I never respond to Anonymous posters and generally don't even open their posts, either.

As for KH, you are entitled your opinion, but his demise (or crash as you call it) was brought on by his own doings, and I hope he will consider getting help with his numerous problems. Although you say he didn't , he did, in fact, humiliate and belittle you -- when the rest of our saw through him and you stood by him, he in turn began posting with different alias names and as Anonymous regarding your spelling and grammar. And to prove this fact, you notice that such posts have quit as quickly as they began.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/5/05 10:31pm
Msg #29864

Gosh Cali, you must be at least as old as I am.

"Broken record" is not something that lots of young 'uns can relate to.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/6/05 12:39am
Msg #29883

Oh my gosh, you're 25 too?

I can relate to records. I remember bringing my double "Saturday Night Fever" album to school so we could do some disco dancing at lunch in the 4th grade.

I remember the thrill of seeing an album wrapped under the Christmas tree and wondering which Olivia Newton-John album I was going to be playing to death for the next couple of months, at least until I got a different one for my birthday.

I remember seeing the blue vinyl 45 of "True Blue" by Madonna, not getting it because I already had the album, and kicking myself about passing it up years later.

I remember putting a stack of albums on the stereo in my room and just listening for hours and hours as they dropped a new one every 5 or 6 songs. I remember having to choose which side of the album I wanted to listen to.

Yes, I squeezed that all into my short 25 years on earth so far. Shut up.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/6/05 1:44am
Msg #29885

I am only a little older. 31.

Reply by Jon on 4/6/05 11:12am
Msg #29920

Anyone care to explain "vinyl 45" and "record" to me?????

Reply by HisHughness on 4/6/05 11:28am
Msg #29926

Jon asks, most likely with tongue firmly planted in cheek:

***Anyone care to explain "vinyl 45" and "record" to me?????***

Vinyl = generic term for record, so called because the material from which the record was made either was or resembled vinyl, the material used for floor coverings.

45 = record with one single on each side, played at 45 rpms (as opposed to long plays, or LPs, which played at 33 1/3 rpms, or earlier larger discs for singles, which were quite thick and played at 78 rpms.

I am the only person on this forum old enough to remember when 78s were the only format available. 45s and LPs appeared when I was a child. The 45s had an A side and a B side. The A side was considered the song most likely to a hit; the B side was a second class song just tossed in to fill that side. Some of you may have gathered that I can be a bit anal (I'll pause to let that sink in). It wasn't until I was in my 30s that my wife at that time convinced me that it was okay to play a stack of A sides repeatedly; I didn't really have to flip them over and play the B side each time.

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 4/6/05 11:44am
Msg #29933

I still my mothers teenage record collection of 78's

Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, Eddie Arnold, Perry Como. Also over the years have picked up a lot of childerns 78's. The size of a 45, used in colored vinyl, yellow red, blue and black. Disney, Daniel Boone, Davy Crocket:-)

Reply by Charm_AL on 4/6/05 11:51am
Msg #29935

Re: I still my mothers teenage record collection of 78's

wow, I have an extension album collection, Rare Earth, Santana, Doors, Beatles, lots of 60's-70's guitar and instrumentals, Reggae, even Pat Paulsen, Jonathon Winters, Hudsen & Landry.... you name it...and I still play them! lol

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 4/6/05 3:47pm
Msg #29984

Hugh, hate to burst your bubble, but I know of at least 3 others that regularly read this board and post here that also remember 78's (I'm one of them, drats!! Although it is better than the alternative!)

Reply by HisHughness on 4/6/05 3:53pm
Msg #29986

Dorothy/MI chides:

***Hugh, hate to burst your bubble, but I know of at least 3 others that regularly read this board and post here that also remember 78's (I'm one of them, drats!! Although it is better than the alternative!)***

It isn't that I just remember the 78s, Dorothy. I remember the >>first<< 78s.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/6/05 9:14pm
Msg #30050

Unless you are well over 100 years old, you possibly cannot remember the >>first<< 78s. The "modern" 78 was invented in the late 1800's by Emile Berliner and patented in 1888 (or somewhere about that time). The early 1900's saw the standardization on 10" platters (eventually changes to 12") and a standard rotational speed of 78 rpm. (RPM, btw is the plural as well as singular abbreviation.) All of the earliest 78 rpm recordings were single sided ( I still have my Enrico Caruso recording with an RCA Victor Grammaphone label), but double sided recordings were introduced first in Europe by the Columbia company. By 1923, double sided recordings had become the norm on both sides of the Atlantic.

Remember, I've been accused of being Methuselah. Smiley

Reply by Jon on 4/6/05 6:18pm
Msg #30012

Let me see if I got this correct.

You're 25.

The current year is 2005.

In 1977(based the release date of "Saturday Night Fever"), no later than 1980 as disco gratefully died as quick as it began, you were in the 4th grade.

I think I need to go back to school and take another math class!!!

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/6/05 7:52pm
Msg #30034

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'm 25.

I am, I am, I AM!!!!

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/6/05 8:21pm
Msg #30037

*no later than 1980 as disco gratefully died as quick as it began, you were in the 4th grade*

Yes, but disco came back in Waco, Texas in 1993. When my step-son was in college and the thrifts shops sold man-sized slinky floral shirts and tall dance shoes in size 10 for a premium. I'd send money, and my son would come home looking but a little bit bizarre.

BTW, not only am I big on notary eduction, I also took classes in the fine art of disco dancing in said era. I was barely 3.

Thank you.

Reply by Jon on 4/6/05 11:18pm
Msg #30084

Lot's of strange, unexplainable stuff happens in Wacko...I mean Waco TX.

Reply by HisHughness on 4/7/05 12:59am
Msg #30098

I loved the disco. Step forward left, step back left. Step forward right, step back right. Even someone as spastic as I could dance to that. Then there were all those intertwining hand movements. I loved it. I miss it.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/5/05 7:54pm
Msg #29838

There is a notice when you hit the New Message Button:

Important Notice
If you are going to ask a question, please consider consulting the Search feature before doing so. Many questions have been asked and answered repeatedly on this forum by expert notaries: Should I buy a laser printer? • What are e-docs? • What is a signing agent? • How much should I charge? • How do I get started? Answers to questions like these are just a few clicks away!

Reply by nt/ca on 4/5/05 8:02pm
Msg #29840

Most people don't read the message - that's painfully obvious. What might be helpful, and this is only a suggestion, is that particular message is either highlighted a bit more - bold font- flashing red on keywords - or a list of links to standard questions and their answers might be helpful. While search is a wonderful thing - people tend to be impatient, and trying to figure out what words you want to search on - or discerning out of the results what are the right answers tends to be more daunting than just asking the same question again (even if it does get you flamed).

just a thought

Reply by Dogmonger, CA on 4/5/05 11:19pm
Msg #29877

"Maybe if there was a sign at the door as you entered this forum saying. read all posts and do a search before you ask any questions. I dose say ASK QUESTIONS OF YOUR PEERS."

There is such a sign posted right above after you hit the reply button. If new people cannot take the time to read this disclaimer, how will they digest the signing instructions. Hugh did not attack anyone. It may not have been the answer that Ms or Mrs. Truong was looking for, but it was truthful and to the point

Reply by patricia on 4/5/05 9:55pm
Msg #29850

I am wondering if the NNA is telling new NSA's to request to be ride-alongs on notary
loan document signing appointments. My understanding is that all notary transactions are to be considered confidential and loan doc signings are even more confidential. Why would any borrower agree to have and additional stranger sitting in as an observer. I would certainly never request that they do so, and if I was signing loan docs would not want anyone
else in on the transaction. Most unprofessional!!

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/5/05 10:23pm
Msg #29860

Yes'm. I agree P. I told tell my sister (who's just curious) that she cannot go with me because of that very reason.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/5/05 11:02pm
Msg #29870

Re:After reading all posts/I am the competition

I have been a reader of this forum for several months. As of a month ago, I just finished with the beginning posts. It is amazing how many questions that I have about the whole loan signing procedure has been answered adnauseam. I believe that most of the new posters are not taking advantage of the information that has already been freely given. There are also good posts about marketing your business (before the NNA saturation) and what the security documents are (FASS test questions) Also, which SS are deadbeats or slow payers.

With careful scrutiny of this board, I have been able to pass my Siging Registry test with flying colors. So as a good practice, pick up a book or scroll through previous posts, pick through the nonsense and you will be amazed at how much info you will attain.

After all of this, I have been able to put together a zip code chart for my fees (thanks Calinotary) Ascertained that Texas docs are humongous (thanks Brenda & Hugh) Determined that what we are doing in Ca as SA is small change (thanks Art) and that our commissions are practically handed to us on a silver platter cheaply.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/5/05 11:17pm
Msg #29876

Re: Re:After reading all posts/I am the competition

Get yourself a handle and become known, Anonymous.

You are so right!
Take all this data and turn it into comprehensive information!

Calinotary certainly took the wind out of my sails with his Excel spreadsheet formulas. Until then I was able to make it seem like I was something special with all that knowledge. But, if Texas Hugh's California Sock Puppet can do ss formulas, I don't feel so smart anymore. And, his formulas were better than mine--smart aleck puppet.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.