Notary Rotary
All I Know Is...
Notary Discussion History

All I Know Is...
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Sunny Notary on 4/21/05 4:41pm
Msg #33185

All I Know Is...

When I first became a SA, I did all the work on my own. I spent countless hours doing the research in order to understand my new profession. I started out slow but got busier and busier each month. I first started reading this message board late last year and have come to learn who really knows their stuff and who just likes to spew. While I appreciate the knowledge of most there are some who, while undoubtedly knowledgeable, choose most often not to offer their knowledge but, instead, choose to berate the newcomers on this board when they ask a question that's deemed unnecessary by the "professionals."

I've read all of the comments about how new people should do a search before asking dumb questions and how it's stupid to think that we'd want to help out our competition with free education but then my question becomes what is this board really for if not for these things? I thought it was for people to ask questions and get advice and opinions of others who may know the answers, as well as to share funny notary experiences and also sometimes even a little off-topic humor. However, I've read over and over that people need to understand that we can't be excited about helping our competition get ahead. I'm no stranger to running a business so I completely understand not wanting to give everything away but if we stop providing answers to others, we're no different than any other message board.

I must admit there have been times when I've found myself reading a post that you could find repeated 500 times throughout the board and just sighed in frustration but, when I first came to this site, it honestly didn't even dawn on me to utilize the search button. Maybe that's just me not being resourceful and I have used it many times since then but when I see someone who asks a question that a simple search would answer, I have to remember that maybe they just don't realize that they can find the answer so easily. It's very disheartening to read the responses of some of the older, (should be) more respected posters on this board and how many ways they can find to tell the person to do a search in a most insulting manner. Don't assume I think all people who ask those questions are just ignorant. I know there are some who just want a freebie and don't want to do the work. However, it would be so much better and professional to suggest a search in a different way.

I know there are places that are way too saturated with SAs but there are other places, like where I am, that there is no other competition and I could really benefit from the knowledge of CaliNotary or BrendaTX, among others. However, I'm often afraid to ask because I've seen too many people that have been shut up by a hurtful, rude comment that was unnecessary. How many times have we heard "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?"

We are professionals in this field but there are many times I read posts by so-called "professionals" that astonish me. You would not go to a professional workplace and hear someone berate another person for asking a question that person thinks is stupid...at least not to their face. Maybe that's it. I'd be surprised if a lot of the comments posted here are anything the actual posters would have the guts to say if they were face to face with the other person...except CaliNotary. I've read enough of his posts to know he'd say exactly what was on his mind, without regard to the other person's feelings.

Please don't think I think everything should be all sunshine and roses because that's just not life but there is a professional way to handle ourselves and there's no reason we should talk down to anyone in our respected profession when we wouldn't talk down to lenders or borrowers. Just my humble opinion...I don't really expect to make a difference by speaking my mind, I just had to get it off my chest. Now I'll prepare myself for the firing squad. Smiley

Reply by Victoria/FL on 4/21/05 4:56pm
Msg #33190

Well said. I completely agree.

I think it would be helpful if "we" (whoever that is - I'd be willing to help), could put together a FAQ list with a link at the top of the message board. Then, when someone posts with a question that has been asked over and over again, someone could simply post "click on the FAQ link."

I sometimes am amazed at the silly questions that are asked, but I choose not to respond and go about my day. I have more important things to do then put down someone I don't even know.

So you have one supoorter here! Don't let anyone make you feel bad for expressing your opinion.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/21/05 5:16pm
Msg #33197

Re: Well said. I completely agree.

I offered to author an FAQ, but no response from Harry. He would have to do a few things to sticky it.

Reply by Victoria/FL on 4/21/05 5:23pm
Msg #33199

"Sticky it" - what does that mean??

Maybe we could just put one together, post it on the board, then reply to newbies with "see message #1234."

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/21/05 6:24pm
Msg #33220

Re: "Sticky it" - what does that mean??

Currently as messages age they continue to fall down the page. A sticky messages one always "sticks" to the top of the page. It is commonly used for things in message boards like welcome messages and FAQs.

Reply by EM/CA on 4/21/05 5:38pm
Msg #33207

Amen
I have attended many seminars and was taught competition breeds profit. We all have to start somewhere and need all the help we can get. We don't need ugly coments. We do need to respect other people's feelings. Otherwise this board serves no purpose, only for the ones that know it all. They certainly don't need the rest of us, in other words this should be a board for about 10 people

Reply by Stephanie_CA on 4/21/05 5:59pm
Msg #33210

Re: All I Know Is......Well put - wait-a-go! n/m

Reply by Jen/CA on 4/21/05 7:54pm
Msg #33243

Well Put..I agree 100%

Reply by Cyndi_AL on 4/21/05 8:45pm
Msg #33252

I agree 100%. I am also new at this. I'm a notary and have been for a while now, but I recently found out about the Notary Signing biz and it sounded like something I would love to do, so I'm doing my research. As far as I know, the area I'm in is majorly lacking in the NS department. This board has some wonderful, valuable advice and I do admit that it has been so much more pleasant the past week or so. Personally, I try not to ask any question if I haven't researched it completely, but I may be still unclear about it. Yes I did do that, and I received only one response, I count that as a blessing! hehe I've learned how to weed through those insulting posts to get to the heart of the post. I KNOW this is not going to just fall in my lap (though that would be awesome! hehe) and I KNOW this will be some work on my part, but I'm willing to get there.

An area for getting started with Frequently asked questions would be wonderful. I wish that Harry would agree to letting someone do that. Even if it was a numbered list of the steps that someone wanting to do this should take, equipment needed, pricing, etc. That would be SO WONDERFUL! I know there is an area like that at the National Notary.org site, but one where real experience has had a part in it would be the ticket.

Okay, don't shoot me anyone!!

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 4/21/05 8:52pm
Msg #33253

Excellent observations and comments!

I agree with you whole heartedly! I hate reading the postings talking about not educating the competition, the notary market being saturated and complaining about the people who are willing to take $40 for a closing.

I believe one of the reasons a person chooses to take a $40 closing is to get the experience. I can't fault them for that. I strive to be the best at everything I do. I haven't ever taken a $40 signing because I have the confidence in myself and present myself in a way to show I am a professional and warrant the higher fee.

SS's know what they're paying for and care little for their reputation and more about making a fast buck; so they are solicit the inexperienced.

By sharing information AND KNOWLEDGE and stroking a newbie's ego you're helping yourself. A newbie is going to feel more confident and less willing to accept those $40 signings. There's always more than one side to a story and more than one way to run a business.

I hope people open their eyes and ears and realize this and stop bashing others.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 4/21/05 8:54pm
Msg #33254

Another Option

If you don't want to share information and don't want to educate your competition don't say anything at all. How's that?

Reply by Dellaca on 4/21/05 11:45pm
Msg #33273

Re: Amen N/M

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/22/05 1:15am
Msg #33283

Yet Another Option

People can grow thicker skins and stop taking things so personally on this board. People can accept that they can't control how other people are going to respond on this board, so they might as well give up on the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" mentality. We're grownups, save the hurty feelings for something more important then a freaking internet message board.

And I agree that a sticky FAQ would really work wonders for this board.

Reply by Sunny Notary on 4/22/05 10:18am
Msg #33322

Re: Yet Another Option

Cali,

I've never wasted the energy it takes to get my feelings hurt by anything that is posted on this board and I would give the best of 'em a run for their money with the thick skin. My point was just that there are better, more professional ways to go about responding to someone's post. There are times when it's appropriate to respond and times when it's best just to skip it and move on. In my opinion, integrity still holds a lot of weight and if I owned my own signing service or, better yet, mortgage company, I would take into account the actions of the posters to this board in making decisions about who I would use and who I wouldn't (even though I probably wouldn't waste my time reading this board if I owned my own company). Smiley

I have nothing against anybody here personally. I actually think you, for one, have had some really good advice to give and I have no doubt you know your business inside and out. I just think, if we're all adults here, it would be nice if we all acted like it. I don't understand why you bother to waste your time in posting some of the negative, sometimes hurtful (to the "asker") stuff here. I just thought it would be more professional and resourceful to try a little diplomacy. I know that nothing I say will make a difference, just speaking my mind...once again.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/22/05 11:46am
Msg #33331

Re: Yet Another Option

"I don't understand why you bother to waste your time in posting some of the negative, sometimes hurtful (to the "asker") stuff here"

The only problem with this is that sometimes people get offended by the most ridiculous things on this board. I have seen some touchy responses to the most innocent and non offensive posts and it just blows my mind.

My idea of direct is somebody else's idea of rude. There's no pleasing everybody so I'm not even going to bother to try. If people want to take my responses as a personal attack that's their prerogative.

I've had way more personal attacks and insults thrown at me on this board than I've ever given out, yet somehow I've survived just fine. Whether that means my self esteem is just stronger or what, who knows? If I can not take it personally when it's quite directed at me, I don't see why others can't do the same thing when it's NOT directed at them personally.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 4/21/05 11:45pm
Msg #33274

Re: All I Know Is...I agree 100 % n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.