Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Another story to add to Lee's (msg # 34092)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by VA_Notary on 4/26/05 3:28pm
Msg #34102

I had a signing last night where this guy (55 years) was taking his sweet time to sign the docs. Now I had another signing afterwards and I was trying to get done in atleast 45 mins but...anyways. When I asked for his ID and to my surpize he asked mine too. He also asked for my business card. I said well I am kind of new in the business and since I'm doing it on part time basis for now so I never thought of making one. He goes like "what if I need to track you?" I said I can give you my phone # which later on he asked for my address as well. Long story short I got done in 1+ hr with the signing and as I was about to leave this guy asks me how am I going to send back the docs. I said FedEx either tonight or tomorrow morning. He started the argument that he has told the lender that this should be one in 2 days or so as he's leaving overseas. I said I can try my best but he wanted it done in 1 day. I also told him that the Tiltle company did not mention anything to me. (also keep in mind that all the pickups for FedEx is sceduled for 7:00 PM )So after much difiiculty I assured him that I'm gonna do my best and give you a call. But the second signing turned out to be troublesome too as the lender had messed up borrowers loan amount. She was thousands off on her loan. And they also had wrong state typed on DOT. After all those calls going back and forth and getting done with the signing I entered my home @ 11:00 PM. So going thru all this headache I completely forgot about this old guy.
10 o'clock in the morning I get a call from this guy asking for the package...

I would appreiate an advice on this one from the experienced notaries...

Reply by Joan-OH on 4/26/05 6:48pm
Msg #34159

Ok, I'll attempt this....

First off! "OLD GUY"?!?! He was 55! That makes me.......almost old.......GRRRRRRR!

Ok, got that off my chest! Whew!

Get business cards, even if you have to print a few at a time from your home computer. Business card paper is cheap. Just a cell number & fax - no address. Your borrowers don't need to know. And do not put your home number on it. Too easy to google and get your address.

Was this an investment property? Was there a right to cancel? I don't know how he expected his funds so soon unless it was. No matter how hard you tried your best, the title company and lender is calling the shots, so whether he wanted it done in one day wasn't up to you.

This is one of those situations where you start the mantra.....

"I am a signing agent. I received your documents a few hours ago and a few hours from now they will be on their way back to your lender. I am not privy to anything that happened or was said before I received the documents and I won't be privy to anything after I drop them off. You need to talk to your loan officer"

If he continues on just repeat "all lenders and title companies have their own procedures. I am an independent contractor and work for many different companies. I CAN NOT speak for your lender. Only your loan officer can answer that question."

Personally, after the 10am phone call, I would have called the loan officer or title company myself and tell them this guy needs to be called because he is pressing you for answers you cannot give.

Good luck. It gets easier and remember, the idiots only come out at the end of the month when docs are late or don't show up, numbers are wrong and everyone from the lender on down is cranky - especially me! :-)

Hope when you a 'Very Old" 55, you are still a sucessful signing agent! But I might suggest, if you continue on referring to people as "Old Guy", you might not make it that long. I'm willing to be most of the people on this board are 40+ Just a guess.

Joan-OH

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/26/05 8:06pm
Msg #34177

Re: Ok, I'll attempt this....

**Hope when you a 'Very Old" 55, you are still a sucessful signing agent! But I might suggest, if you continue on referring to people as "Old Guy", you might not make it that long. I'm willing to be most of the people on this board are 40+ Just a guess.**

I agree Joan. Age is just a number. I remember when I turned 21 and my first thought was that in 19 years I'd be 40. Now 40 has come and gone and even 50. I'm not old and certainly not a "Very Old" 50 something. There is no way that I'd want to go through teen years or even 20's again. I'm proud of where I am in life and what I have. For anyone who thinks and believes 55 is "Very Old" -- be careful, because at a blink of an eye, you will be "very old" too.

Reply by missy_socal on 4/26/05 8:15pm
Msg #34181

Re: Ok, I'll attempt this....Joan

I couldn't stop chuckling as I read your response, Joan. So, so true!

Giving her the benefit of the doubt, though, the first time that I read it I assumed she meant slang-style. As in, this 'ole guy. Not as in extremely aged. :-)

~Melissa

Reply by VA_Notary on 4/27/05 9:14am
Msg #34297

Re: Ok, I'll attempt this....Joan

My apologies to all of you in 50s. And Thanks for all the good advices...

Reply by Metamucil Central on 4/26/05 9:39pm
Msg #34197

How much abuse do geezers have to take on this forum?

Old guy? Old Guy? OLD GUY???

You can steal my wife (had she not already been stolen), seduce my daughter, trash my reputation, but Old Guy is too much. If I could get my kidneys to function properly, I'd pee in your beer in a heartbeat.

Reply by Methusula on 4/26/05 9:47pm
Msg #34200

Well said, your Metamucilness! n/m

Reply by Bill/ca on 4/27/05 12:33am
Msg #34254

That was funny!

As old as you are, are you sure that old heart could take that much excitement?

Reply by ERNA_CA on 4/27/05 12:48am
Msg #34257

Re: Another story to add to Lee's (msg # 34092) 55 here :)

Reply by Jeanie-fl on 4/27/05 1:58am
Msg #34267

Re: original question

Reply by Jeanie-fl on 4/27/05 2:00am
Msg #34268

oops!

Reply by Jeanie-fl on 4/27/05 2:18am
Msg #34269

Re: oops!

I have a real love/hate relationship with the return key!!!!!!!!! Sorry about that!

I've learned not to give the BR's my phone number at the signing table. I'll give it to them if they ask when I call to verify the appointment, (they rarely ask for it). At the signing table I tell the BR they can contact me through their LO. That way the questions go through their LO, where they should go! BR's seem to have a real problem with understanding that the SA can't answer their question's, even when told this at the beginning of the signing.

Reply by HisHughness on 4/27/05 3:31am
Msg #34272

Re: oops!

Jeanie-fl notes:

***BR's seem to have a real problem with understanding that the SA can't answer their question's, even when told this at the beginning of the signing.***

I don't understand this. I still use a checklist for every real estate closing I do. Among the items on that checklist are to explain the 3-day rescission period and my role in the transaction. The only borrowers who did not fully grasp that were a couple who had gotten the impression from their loan officer that someone would come out to close the loan who could answer all their questions. But even they, after I explained my role, accepted the limitation without quibbling.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.