Notary Rotary
Attorney State-Geaorgia
Notary Discussion History

Attorney State-Geaorgia
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 4/13/05 11:33am
Msg #31456

Attorney State-Geaorgia

I am unfamiliar with the rules of Attorney states. Can someone please clarify. For a Signing in Georgia I understand I need an attorney to close. Does the borrower have to sign the docs in front of an attorney or in theory could borrower take the deed (for example) and get it notarized, and then jsut sign all the rest of the docs? Any points of view would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Reply by anon on 4/13/05 12:17pm
Msg #31468

witness closings performed by a non-attorney in the state of Georgia is the unauthorized practice of law...you can get in big trouble for conducting these closings...

hope this helped

Reply by more help on 4/13/05 12:30pm
Msg #31470

georgia is an attorney state

Is Georgia a Lawyer Only State?" was answered definitively by the Georgia Supreme Court in
November 10, 2003 when it issued a ruling in the case designated: IN RE UPL ADVISORY OPINION 2003-2 (277 Ga. 472). That case held that a so called "Witness-Only" closing may be conducted only by a lawyer in Georgia.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.