Notary Rotary
Blank Check From Senior
Notary Discussion History

Blank Check From Senior
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by ZLee_Califia on 4/28/05 7:20pm
Msg #34690

Blank Check From Senior

Today I notarized several documents for a Senior in an upscale living facility. I gave her a very nice discounted price (which I'm second-guessing) and for payment she gave me a BLANK check. I asked her to please fill in the dollar amount and she said she could only sign her name on the check as she had Parkinson's and writing numbers was too difficult for her. I am now sweating bullets that perhaps I should not have filled out the check? I wrote in the Memo section what it was for. Should I have had a witness for this transaction?
Wondering if I made a terrible mistake......and...

Wanting to be the perfect Notary.

Z

Reply by Gajillion AL on 4/28/05 9:01pm
Msg #34712

Personally, I would have only accepted the check if it was completely filled in. Every blank. (I sure would have made sure there was a witness for her or I may have reconsidered the notarization altogether.)

Reply by ZLee_Califia on 4/28/05 9:30pm
Msg #34721

Re: Blank Check From Senior-Thank You Gajillion AL

I am now thinking of not submitting the check to my bank; or returning it to her to void. I don't know what I was thinking to even do that. Blaming it on the full moon.

Z

Reply by Bill/CA on 4/28/05 9:52pm
Msg #34722

If the amount is not very much no one will probably question it. Otherwise, go back and get one of her neighbors to fill out another one, and give this one back, or have her initial it. Did she write the amount in her ledger?

Reply by Colleen on 4/28/05 10:04pm
Msg #34726

Re: Did she have you fill in the amount in front of her?

If so, then there shouldn't be a problem. Just write in the memo section: Notary Services Fee Authorized By Acct. Holder, or something to that affect.

Reply by ColleenCA on 4/28/05 10:04pm
Msg #34727

If so, then there shouldn't be a problem. Just write in the memo section: Notary Services Fee Authorized By Acct. Holder, or something to that affect.

Reply by ZLee_Califia on 4/28/05 10:27pm
Msg #34736

ColleenCA, yes, actually, when I arrived she showed me the blank check, but I never imagined that I would be the one filling it in at completion. I filled it in as she sat there and when finished, she signed her name. She seemed embarrassed at her state of health and disability, and I wanted to help her, but you know what they say about "no good deed goes unpunished."
The amount of trust was endearing, and scary to think how some people exploit people like this. Thank you, I will add this: " Notary Services Fee Authorized By Acct. Holder, or something to that affect."

Z

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/29/05 9:24am
Msg #34814

I assume that though she could not write, that she can read. It seems pretty straightforward to me. You fill it out, she can read it and make sure you didn't put $100000.00. I have Walmart print my entire check for me when I go there and write a check, then I just sign it.

Reply by ZLee_Califia on 4/28/05 10:40pm
Msg #34743

Bill, no she didn't even appear to have a checkbook. I don't think she would've been able to write the numbers in a ledger. It's not that much, actually. I may save it for posterity, depending. Thanks for your suggestion.

Z

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/28/05 10:09pm
Msg #34730

Write it your journal...document your fees...cash it, forget it.

Reply by Becky on 4/28/05 10:17pm
Msg #34735

And perhaps issue a receipt and have her sign a copy.

Reply by ZLee_Califia on 4/28/05 10:30pm
Msg #34738

Thanks Brenda & Becky... I feel better about it already...especially since there was absolutely no coercion on my part for her to request this of me.

Z

Reply by HisHughness on 4/28/05 10:44pm
Msg #34744

If she had sufficient capacity for you to perform a notarization, she had sufficient capacity to direct you, as a scribe, to write out the check. 1) If the fee was your normal fee or less; 2) if her physical incapacity is obvious; and 3) if you can establish that you performed the service, then cash the check without worrying about it.

Sometimes, being excessively cautious edges over into being neurotic. I try to hold it down to just being anal; I have enough neuroses already.

Reply by ZLee_Califia on 4/28/05 10:54pm
Msg #34745

Re: Blank Check From Senior-To Hugh

Thanks Hugh,

Yes she definitely had the wherewithall (?) to direct me on her befalf, due to her physical incapacity. Who gives blank checks anymore? It was a scary thought after-the-fact.

Hey, can a woman ever be "too" neurotic in this man's world?

Thanks for the supportive information. Much obliged. Feeling more at ease already.

Neurotically,
Z

Reply by christi/socal on 4/29/05 1:29am
Msg #34781

Re: Blank Check

I have a friend that has parkinsons and she has had me, as well as other friends, fill out checks for her. I agree, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure to note it in your journal.

Reply by calipat/ca on 4/29/05 1:36am
Msg #34785

As most everyone has said as long as you note it in your journal there should be no problem. You did the service and you have it in the journal. If you still feel uneasy maybe you can give her a call and ask her when she will have the cash and take the check back and exchange for cash.
But in all honesty I know it will be okay.

Reply by ZLee_Califia on 4/29/05 2:38am
Msg #34792

Re: Blank Check From Senior-TY all

Thanks for your response, christi and calipat, it was my first exposure to someone with this affliction, and unless someone sees it for themselves, they can't perceive the struggle one goes through. Thank you both for your great advice.

Z

Reply by Big B on 4/29/05 10:35am
Msg #34844

As long as you did not take advantage of her, you should be OK. You should have the signer, at least, initial where you wrote.

This is one reason why I only take cash, and I inform the signer of this prior to my arrival.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.