Notary Rotary
Business license to work from home?????
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Lisa-Florida on 4/1/05 8:39am
Msg #29100

Hi, I was wondering when you start as a signing agent in Florida do I need to get some sort of occupational or business license to run this out of my home? I have my notary already as I worked for a mortgage company. THank you.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/1/05 11:39am
Msg #29136

I did. I didn't think I did, but the county fined me for not having an "Occupational License". Notaries are not required to have one, but acting as a Signing Agent is beyond the scope of acting as a Notary Public and thus may require a business license. Licenses are county specific, so you may need to to check with your county licensing clerk.

BTW, where are you located?

Reply by Lisa-Fort Myers on 4/1/05 1:59pm
Msg #29161

I am in Fort Myers. What is LLC. I am new to this what would I need to do to go to another county? I did all the closings at the mortgage company I worked for so traveling to do the closings will be a new expierience. We would travel to borrowers homes to get proof of income and such so I guess I will be alright. I just want to get all the business stuff down before I start.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/1/05 3:24pm
Msg #29184

LLC = Limited Liability Company or Corporation It is a form of a business entity, like sole proprietor, partnership, corporation.

You can do signings anywhere in the State of Florida since your notary is good statewide.

Reply by Lisa-fl on 4/1/05 5:11pm
Msg #29212

Thanks.

Reply by Victoria/FL on 4/1/05 7:07pm
Msg #29227

PAW - are you Pasco or Hillsborough?

Uh-oh - I think I need to get a business license!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/1/05 8:13pm
Msg #29230

Re: PAW - are you Pasco or Hillsborough?

I'm in Pasco County.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/1/05 1:04pm
Msg #29154

I created an LLC, partly because here in Virginia I would have to register with every county I do business in if I only want to do a business license. Virginia has a sole proprietor LLC classification which some other states do not, which with a minimum of fuss provides a margin of protection and gets me registered at a statewide level. So make sure to look into the details.

Also, I can do other things under the LLC and only register a service mark without potentially having to register that endeavor in each county as well.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.