Notary Rotary
Buy a back-up cell phone
Notary Discussion History

Buy a back-up cell phone
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Melody on 4/5/05 1:01am
Msg #29681

Buy a back-up cell phone

I had my cell phone stolen a few months ago. My cell contract had expired and my roll-over minutes were about used up, so it was time for me to sign a new contract and change my cell plan anyway. So it only cost me $45 to get a replacement cell phone.

But if that were to happen today, I would have to *quick* buy an expensive replacement cell phone since I am only a few months into my 2 year contract. Replacing my current non-camera phone would cost $160+ in the stores.

I purchased a cell phone to have on tap should something happen to my current cell phone. Then all I have to do is pop into my cell service store and buy a new SIM card. Cheap fix.

Here are a few tips on how to buy a back-up cell phone without spending a ton of money:

*Buy your phone on eBay. (I heard this tip on Clark Howard's radio program.) I watched auctions for about a month before I found the phone I wanted at a good price.

*Check your cell phone service provider's website to see what phones are supported by them. Buy a model listed on their website.

*Get the same brand of phone (Motorola, whatever) so all your chargers and headsets will work on your new phone.

*Get a newer model of your current phone if one exists. Newer models give better reception and coverage.

*The phone should not be linked to any service provider. This means you should not have to buy a "plan" to get the phone.

*The phone should be UNLOCKED. This is urgent.

*Check the seller's reputation very carefully.

*Pay for the phone with a credit card (not an atm card) so you can have the charge reversed if the sale goes south.

Happy talking!

Reply by HisHughness on 4/5/05 1:10am
Msg #29682

Fabulous advice, Mel. That sort of thing is what makes this site so valuable.

To that you might add that you should support elimination of longterm cell phone contracts. You don't have to sign a two-year contract to get land-line service; why should you have to do so for a cell phone? I've had the same cell for four years now because I refuse to sign another long-term contract. I keep waiting for one of the major companies to break ranks and offer service without a fixed-term contract.

Reply by Nd_WA on 4/5/05 6:17am
Msg #29689

Smart choice Uncle Hugh!

I still clip that good old 2 pounds Nokia 5160 gorilla. I've heard nothing but complaints about the so called GSM network. I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon unless they completely cut off the TDMA network, of which I'm currently using.

While almost everyone has switched to GSM, I've pretty much got all the frequency bandwith available anywhere for clear and uninterupted signal. At $29.99/month with 600 anywhere minutes, all the nights/weekends freebies, and no contract is not such a bad deal.

BTW: "Uncle" is a tradition I've been taught as to give rank and pay respect to elders. It sounded very akward for me to say HisHughness out loud, hope you don't mind Smiley

Reply by BK_FL on 4/5/05 7:44am
Msg #29690

Cell phone Service Provider

Contracts longer than 1 year in my opinion are unreasonable with any products and services.

MetroPCS offers unlimited local and long distance calls for one monthly rate, with no contracts to sign. I pay a total of $65 every month after taxes and FCC charges is added for the plan I have. I have been using MetroPCS for almost 5 years now, can't beat the rates and service/reception is same as my Cingular was.

I strongly advise anyone who is interested in MetroPCS to first go to their website and check to make sure coverage is available in your area first.
www.metropcs.com
BK/FL

Reply by Melody on 4/5/05 10:38am
Msg #29702

Ask a teenager

Thanks to BK for her tip on MetroPCS. I wish this company covered my area.

ALL of the service providers covering my county require me to be on a plan. I wasn't lucky like Hugh and able to let my old plan ride after expiration of contract because I was using far too many minutes each month.

I carefully researched which phone service to use. In my rural area, there are many places where no cell phone coverage exists, especially in the foothills.

While doing signings in these low-coverage areas, I would often ask the borrowers which cell phone service they had. Their teenagers had the most thorough information, of course!

I went with the teen favorite and a more modern phone. I now have much better coverage.

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/5/05 8:21am
Msg #29693

You might also check into the monthly insurance plan. Mine costs only a couple dollars a month and covers breakage, loss and/or theft 100%.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/5/05 1:09pm
Msg #29733

READ the insurance plan first!

We found out the hard way that out carrier's insurance plan was a joke. We would have been better off simply buying the replacement phone at retail!

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/5/05 3:13pm
Msg #29764

Re: READ the insurance plan first!

Actually, something happened to my phone -- less than a year old and quit charging and became absolutely useless since it wouldn't hold a charge. I went into Verizon and they put in a new battery and there was no difference. Gave me a brand new phone at no cost. A couple months back I was in a hurry and went to grab my stuff off the kitchen table and my phone landed on its head on the tile floor and the antenna broke off, not only on the outside but in the inside of the phone as well. They were able to repair it at no cost.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.