Notary Rotary
Certified NSA
Notary Discussion History

Certified NSA
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Paul2_FL on 4/27/05 8:18pm
Msg #34454

Certified NSA

Tried searching the forum for an answer to this question but was unsuccessful. My question is this: Is the NNA the only organization that has training to become a "certified" NSA? Also ( I lied I actually have two questions), if they are the only one, can you become "certified" without having to sign up to take their NSA training first?

Reply by Melody on 4/27/05 8:21pm
Msg #34455

No.

Yes.

Lying is appropriate behavior in context of the NNA.

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/27/05 8:25pm
Msg #34459

OK Melody, who else does certified NSA training?
Apparently you have some bone to pick with the NNA - right?

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/27/05 8:28pm
Msg #34462

Re: Many of us have bones to pick with the NNA. n/m

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/27/05 8:31pm
Msg #34468

Could you be a little bit more specific? I know I have seen comments on this board as well as others about the NNA but nobody ever gives any reason for not liking them.

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/27/05 8:57pm
Msg #34486

Well, let's list some of the reasons:
1. They have oversatured the market and continue offering more and more NSA classes while continuing to saturate the market more.
2. They charge participants A LOT of money for these classes, however, the participants are no where ready or prepared for signings when leaving the class.
2. They mislead participants and tell them how easy it will be for begin making money doing closings.
3. If you call them and ask a question, chances are the answer will be incorrect.
4. They begin sending out "Renew Immediately" notices approximately 8-9 months *before* your membership is due to expire.
This is just a little bit of icing on the cake. I'm sure others will pop in and add to the list.

Reply by Jon on 4/27/05 10:21pm
Msg #34504

Paul2

I, along with others, have on many occasions enumerated the almost inexhaustible list of reasons for not "liking" the NNA. If you do a search on "NNA" and can't find any reasons, nothing said here will make a difference.

As for "certification", there is no standard. One of the things I dislike about "certification" is that any one who wants to can "certify" you. Many of the "Certified NSA's" don't have the first clue about being a notary, much less a signing agent. Those who are doing the certifying often don't know anything other than what they have read. Many of the "tests" that I have looked at have incorrect information, causing the taker to answer incorrectly to get a "passing" score. Any certified course you take should be for the knowledge you gain, not just to say "I'm certified".

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/27/05 10:53pm
Msg #34513

One of the NNA's "classics" is telling Fl notaries they can charge $10 per signature, when it is $10 per notarial act, so those notaries who listened to the NNA were breaking Fl notary laws, and it could have cost them their commission.
When apprised of the true Fl notary fee, the NNA disagreed, said they were correct.
When the SOS - Notary divisions response was posted to this board, the NNA's response was that they respectfully disagreed with the SOS! But they understood that the SOS had the final word. I understand since then they have put an addendum in their Fl handbooks to reflect the correct fee.

Reply by Nnanonymous CA on 4/28/05 2:20pm
Msg #34623

NNA Rules

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/28/05 12:21am
Msg #34528

Exactly right, Jon... (nm)

Reply by VA_Notary on 4/28/05 8:47am
Msg #34541

Paul2

I would suggest 123notary.com if you want to be certified. The tests they have are almost accurate as I have seen the same stuff during signings.

Reply by Joan-OH on 4/28/05 9:18am
Msg #34548

Isn't the 123 certification test basically a couple of questions over the phone? I've seen the study material and it is geared towards CA

JOan

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/28/05 11:06am
Msg #34568

When they certified me, it was over the phone, and the questions were fine for CA, but I am in Florida. If they are going to be doing certifications that have credibility, then they need to be familiar with all state notary laws and not just California. The test was a joke!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/27/05 8:33pm
Msg #34471

The Signing Registry has an excellent training guide and certification program.
I always look for a Signing Registry registered signing agent first, they get priority when I am looking for a signing agent.

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/27/05 8:35pm
Msg #34474

Thank you Sylvia! I always know I can depend on you for a straightforward answer.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/27/05 8:41pm
Msg #34478

No problem.
I also think getting premiere membership on here is an excellent idea.

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/27/05 10:52pm
Msg #34511

I have Premier membership. Thanks again!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/27/05 11:40pm
Msg #34522

Paul - have you checked out the Florida Signing Agents board??

Reply by SamIam_CA on 4/27/05 8:24pm
Msg #34457

Read this message first...

Paul - please read message 33325 dated April 22. It will give you good info. on how to train yourself to be a great NSA without any 'certification' b.s.
Sam

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/27/05 8:29pm
Msg #34463

Re: Read this message first...

Thanks Sam,
I'm not bragging but I already consider myself a "great" NSA but thought maybe having the "Certified" on my shingle might help attract business.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 4/27/05 9:11pm
Msg #34490

I thought you were new...

***Is the NNA the only organization that has training to become a "certified" NSA?***

As there are no state or federal regulations concerning who may call themselves a Signing Agent - anyone can bestow the title "certified" on you. NNA, The Signing Registry, 123Notary, etc.

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/27/05 11:05pm
Msg #34516

Re: I thought you were new...

Hi Sam,

Yes, I am a "newbie" but before I started actually taking signing assignments I tried to learn as much as possible about this business primarily from forums such as this, reading the FL Notary Manual, and from various web-sites with notary information. What you wrote about no state or federal regulations about being certified is correct but, at the same time, if one is to improve his/her knowledge in this field, shouldn't one become "Certified" through a well known and respected Organization? I'm assuming that by taking the "certified" training one would become more knowledgeable and proficient in this business. If I'm wrong please let me know.

Reply by Philem on 4/28/05 8:08am
Msg #34533

Well, time for me to put my foot in it. Smiley

I work in the IT/MIS field, a highly technical, highly competitive field. In this arena, MS Certifications are near guarntees to a higher income. A+ Certifications are looked well upon, to a slightly lesser degree. CCNA, CISSP and so forth: All are incredible income boosters, even job requirements: "No CISSP need apply. CCNA required." There are no state/federal standards mandating these certifications, but things expected in the industry.

If you feel that a certification will help, GO FOR IT! <smile> Three recommeded ones have already been noted. To those that dislike/disagree with the NNA, being a CNSA, I agree with some of the points as extremely valid. You always need to keep studying your OWN state notary and real estate laws. To those that point out that they've never been turned down for not having a certification, I also can agree with their very vaild points.

I feel, however, that having certifications will not PREVENT you from getting calls, but it will certainly make you more attractive to companies at first blush. This business is about reputation and trust. Not many folks here think the NNA has a good reputation, and cannot be trusted. If that opinion were held by the majority of the notary world, the NNA would not be as pervasive as it is. Please note: I am in NO WAY attempting to defend the NNA in matters where they are clearly wrong.

If a certification will engender a level of trust with a new client, a certification issued by a reputable presence in the notary field, then I say, "Well spent money. If nothing else, your knowledge increased when you were asked WRONG questions."

Take it or leave it, certifications play a role. Good or indifferent, but rarely bad.

Unless, of course, you got your certification at "Bob's Rib Hut and House of MBAs. (NSA certs in the back shed)" <laugh> Seriously, if you feel the need, go for it! You'll learn, which is the actual point of certifications!

HTH :-)
-P

Reply by Art_MD on 4/28/05 8:36am
Msg #34540

Maybe I should form a new org. American Society of Signing Agents ( ASSA, or ASS) for short. For $5.00 the organization will certify you as .... Fill in the blank.

Art

Reply by Paul Kelley on 4/28/05 9:14am
Msg #34546

Thanks! I believe you hit the nail on the head. Unless someone can describe to me that the knowledge you gain from taking certification training is bogus then I'm inclined to believe that any additional training will improve my understanding of this trade. I also believe in the value of OJT but it should be second to learning all you can first. One's ignorance in this trade affects a lot of people who you have sworn to help by becoming a Notary in the first place.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 4/28/05 4:24pm
Msg #34656

Re: I thought you were new...I agree with you Philem!

Reply by Sam I Am CA on 4/28/05 9:34am
Msg #34552

***having the "Certified" on my shingle might help attract business***
***assuming that by taking the "certified" training one would become more knowledgeable and proficient in this business***

I disagree with your first statement. I have never been asked if I was certified. I have been found by both title companies and the general public - no one noticed I didn't have that little logo or title by my name.
I totally agree with your second statement. I have found The Signing Registry training guide to be most helpful.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/28/05 10:46am
Msg #34564

I have noticed that some companies that I signed up with indicate "certified via NNA preferred". It seems that some companies think highly of the NNA. I'm a newbie, however, so I'm just rollin with the flow.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/28/05 11:10am
Msg #34570

Hate to burst your bubble. But I remember when the companies said NASA certified preferred, one company was even saying that for those that were NASA certified they were paying those $100, and those that weren't were getting $75 (anyone here remember USA Title?)
But it turned out they never asked if you were certified and everyone was getting $100.

I had a title company call me yesterday, found me on the Signing Registry and they said they noticed I was registered (certified) by the SR and that I was a charter member, which is why they called me, also said they are using the SR database for finding their signing agents in future as they are having good luck getting experienced signing agents there.

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/28/05 5:05pm
Msg #34669

Just got home and read the latest posts on this subject. I want to thank everyone who replied. I guess we can put this one to bed now.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.