Notary Rotary
Field Inspections
Notary Discussion History

Field Inspections
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Brijoe_WA on 4/13/05 9:35pm
Msg #31631

Field Inspections

I have seen a few posts in here about incorporating field inspections in your business as well. I am curiouse as to what exactly this is, and how you get going with it. I answered an add once for a company looking for people to do inspections. Basicly it was drive out to the particular house and take a picture of it. Sometimes take pictures of interiors. However they only paid $4.00 - $8.00 per inspection, that seemed a bit cheap to be paying. Is that what is talked about when I see field inspections on here?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/13/05 9:43pm
Msg #31637

Yup. That's it. Search for previous posts. Especially ...

... Society of Field Inspectors.

Good luck!

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 4/14/05 11:56am
Msg #31762

Re: Field Inspections are not easy..

I joined SOFi and trust me, the field inspections are not as cake as one may think.

Reply by Ted_MI on 4/14/05 8:18pm
Msg #31862

Re: Nicole - how so? Please elaborate n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/15/05 8:33am
Msg #31918

Inspector: Long Post - Lots of Info

(Part of this is repeated from 30353)

-Inspections which pay $40-$75 may require the following of an inspector:

-Travel of 50 miles (Travel is not as easy to get x-tra paid for! Realize they set a price, you take it if you want it.)

-Short narrative to be written on location, viability, competition, economic outlook

-Comps on commercial and multi-family properties (Generate a set of Market rates for your own use, or you'll have to redo them every time you do an inspection: market stability, occupancy rates other information to be assessed)

-19 pages of forms to be completed online & upload pictures of property, label them

-10-20 pictures (but take 3 times that many--seriously)

-Walking the perimeter of 13 acres (new high-try 19 acres) of apartments

-Sketching to explain what you are reporting

-Walking the site of a industrial plant, retail center, nursing home, hotel, assisted living.

-Looking at 20% of the rooms, units, apartments up to as many as 30

-Figuring sq ft, collecting rent rolls, comparing their figures to yours

-Knowing how to use a compass and being able to report N,S,E,W sides of structures

-Note def'd maintenance and report it.

-Owning a hard hat, boots, safety goggles, gloves, measuring tape, compass, pocket pc, good quality digital camera.

And you may only be paid $40 - $65 for this type of work for which you will put in multiple phone calls, two hours of site work, and two hours of post-job work, before it's over. (Or more time if you are getting started. You will have a full page of instructions to decipher and you are responsible for getting all the information needed to the site manager beforehand, verify it, and if you do not, you will be sent back.)

However, the fact remains that it's better to be making something than nothing when you are self-employed. I could sit here and chat on NotRot when things are slow or make a little money and get exercise with this kind of assignment.

---------------------
In 30353 I posted a message similar to this. (In this thread you will also find the lovely and ever-popular MargaretFL who is my inspector mentor via reading all her posts. If you read Margaret's posts you will learn a lot about a woman who's determined, hard-working, and who puts lots of $, research, and training into her business to make a way to be self-employed.)
----------------------
Here is a list of Types and Descriptions of Inspections:
(and what I have been offered to be paid by a sub-contractor. I'd say that you should understand this sub-contractor is paying 75% you and getting 25% in this list...)

• Commercial Property Physical Inspection (report on the physical condition of a commercial property, usually requires an appointment and photos) Fee: $44
• Fannie Mae Inspection (multifamily property inspection; appointment required) Fee: $52
• Freddie Mac Inspection (multifamily property inspection requiring a lease verification and a cost to cure for deferred maintenance) Fee: $60
• HUD PASS Inspection (requires HUD certification) Fee: $180 *(I don't have this certification. Go to www.hud.gov to learn more about it.)*
• Capital Improvement RUSH Inspection (verification of repairs performed by the property owner, usually requires an appointment and photos, 24-48 hour turn around time) Fee: $32
• Commercial Insurance Loss Draft (verification that insurance repairs have been made at a commercial/multifamily property, normally requires an appointment and photos) Fee: $32
• Commercial Drive-By Inspection (physical condition report on a commercial property which does not require an appointment) Fee: $20
• Commercial Construction Inspection (verification of construction progress, usually requires an appointment and photos) Fee: $20
• Non-Capital Improvement RUSH Inspection (commercial property inspection that needs to be completed ASAP, case-by-case deadlines) Fee: $10 extra
• Fast Track Drive-By Inspection (requires photographs) Fee: $28
• Fast Track Commercial Property Inspection (report on the physical condition of a property, usually requires an appointment and photos) Fee: $52
• Fast Track Drive-By With Comparables (for Real Estate agents, or Brokers and Appraisers in some states) Fee: $52

-----

TYPICAL PORTION OF $55 INSTRUCTIONS

• Notify ---- of the appointment date or update Link within 48 hours.
• If the inspection is ordered as a Rush, but is not done by the due date, the Rush fee will not be paid.
• If the inspection is being scheduled on or after the due date, please notify us so we can inform - that the inspection will be late.
• Multifamily~ Inspect 5% occupied and 20% vacant units.
(Minimum of 5 and maximum of 15 of each)
Mobile Homes: If the homes are owned by the community 5% occupied and 20% vacant units need to be inspected. If the homes are owned by the tenants do not inspect any units.
• Commercial~ Inspect major anchor and mix of occupied and vacant as follows:
Less than 10 units...inspect at least 4
Between 11 and 25 units...inspect at least 6
Between 26 and 50 units...inspect at least 8
More than 51 units...inspect 20%
Self Storage: Inspect 20% vacant units and no occupied units, with a maximum of 15 units (ie. If 200 total units and 100 are vacant, inspect 15 vacant units
• Hospitality~ Inspect 5% rentable and 20% unrentable rooms (do not inspect occupied rooms)
Unrentable is defined as damaged, under renovation or being used by management/maintenance
(Minimum of 5 and maximum of 15 each)
• Healthcare~ Inspect 5% of all rooms, making sure to inspect both occupied and vacant units.
(Minimum of 5 and maximum of 15)
• If more than 12 units are inspected, list the additional units in the deferred maintenance comments.
• If this property is a storage facility please calculate the percent occupied by units and NOT square footage as you would do on any other commercial property.
• Please note that if a unit is physically vacant, but leased, it should be listed as vacant and explained in comments.

--------------

------
Wanted: In mortgageramp.com newsletter:

NEW YORK Inspections on Auction and Lease return vehicles / $20 per -
Req'd!!!: Experience, damage appraisal knowledge, mechanical experience.

-----Links---

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/fieldrepsneeded/
http://www.sofi-usa.com/
April Newsletter - MortgageRamp.com
http://www.mortgageramp.com/training/Documents/PDF/April05.pdf

--------
This should be a lot of information to help anyone find companies online to sign up with.

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 4/15/05 2:39am
Msg #31898

Re: Field Inspections are not easy..

Hi Nicole
As the previouse reply stated....how so? please elaborate? I would be very interested in chatting with you about this. Feel free to e-mail me at [e-mail address]. I am very interested in adding another aspect to my business.

Thanks

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.