Notary Rotary
First American Signature Services
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by laurie on 4/21/05 9:49am
Msg #33086

What info can you give me on this co? Why do they only want to pay $50. They called me for a closing tomorrow evening.

Reply by Christina Dudaklian on 4/21/05 10:00am
Msg #33088

I don't know about this company (I haven't heard anything bad or good so I can't judge) but $50 is usually how much most signing services pay. They really only get about $100 from the lender so they can't pay the notary very much either. If the round trip isn't very long then hey, why not? Smiley

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/21/05 10:02am
Msg #33090

Christina
Don't believe they only get about $100 from the lender.
FASS is the signature service arm of First American Title - a Title company with its own signing service so they can get away with paying SS fees.

Reply by laurie on 4/21/05 10:10am
Msg #33092

Ive never worked for them, so I just wanted to be sure they had a good rep. My normal fee is $75, and they wanted to pay $50. Maybe I should have agreed to it because its in my town, and only 5:30 pm.........I dont know.......This froggy doesnt leap as quickly as I used to... LOL...my normal "green" disposition turns "red" when I have a hard time getting payed the little bit some of these ss want to pay.

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 4/21/05 10:00am
Msg #33089

They used to be a decent company

Paid a fair wage, and paid quick. Now they call for long trips and 50.00 fees. Turned one down on Tuesday. Over a hour roundtrip, uphill, and wanted to pay 50.00. No wonder my mailbox is always full of vendor updates with the most elementary of instructions on general notariziations and loan signings. About the only thing I get from them anymore is trust signings, fixing mistakes, or power of attorney signings. And when I get one, I make sure I get my fee.

Reply by BeccaWI on 4/21/05 10:06am
Msg #33091

Re: They used to be a decent company

So if you make a mistake companies call other Notaries to fix it? Do they call the notary that made the mistake first to let them know? If not I wonder how else would they learn!

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 4/21/05 10:22am
Msg #33095

Depends how bad it is screwed up

Rather than lose a good client and take a chance on getting burned, some SS's will call on someone in the same area that they have not had problems with in the pas, and bite the bullet

Reply by Christina Dudaklian on 4/21/05 10:26am
Msg #33097

The SS I used to work for was paid about $100 or $110, depending on the lender, some lenders even paid them $300 but they only paid the notary 1/2 still. But yes, if the lender has its own SS then I'm sure they'd pay the SS a lot more than $100.

Usually if the notary makes a mistake, most SS have the notaries fax in the notarized docs so that they can check them, that's how they usually catch the mistakes, but if there are any mistakes then they normally have the same notary go back out and fix the mistake. Most of them don't pay you for the trip back.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/21/05 10:40am
Msg #33104

"most SS have the notaries fax in the notarized docs so that they can check them"

Not true. Most of the SS I've worked for didn't require faxbacks, especially all of the notarized docs.

While I can appreciate your signing service experience, it sounds like you worked for one of the cheaper ones. Don't assume that they all operate the same way yours did.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/21/05 10:57am
Msg #33121

I am not one of the "cheaper ones" but I do ask my notaries, especially new ones, to fax me back just the notarized pages so I can make sure they are notarized correctly according to Florida law.
After a couple of error free signings they no longer have to fax back.

My reputation is on the line with the title companies, and I want to keep it a good one.

Reply by Eatha/PA on 4/21/05 11:59am
Msg #33142

Uphill both ways, Dog?!?!! n/m

Reply by Dogmonger, c on 4/21/05 3:04pm
Msg #33162

Re: Uphill both ways, Dog?!?!! n/m

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 4/21/05 3:05pm
Msg #33163

In the snow with no snow shoes:-) nm

Reply by Melody on 4/21/05 12:21pm
Msg #33146

My experience has been the same.

Stand firm on your prices.

By the way, FASS is not an SS. It is an arm of a HUGE title company.

Reply by Dee-FL on 4/21/05 10:25am
Msg #33096

I have worked for this company since I became a notary 7 years ago. They don't want to pay much, but the work has been consistent. Once you get in with them they will call you often. They have their stuff together as pay. I've never waited longer than 15 days for pay and they've actually called me to change my database fee to more than usual if they need me to travel farther than my usual "within a 30 minute ride" time limit. That's how they keep me, I guess. Also, they are very organized with no fax backs...I like that.

Reply by Christina Dudaklian on 4/21/05 10:28am
Msg #33098

Ya, we also used to have very good notaries where they never made mistakes and they knew to send the docs out without faxing.

Reply by Dee-FL on 4/21/05 10:59am
Msg #33123

I did work for 2 SS that required fax backs. It wasn't to check whether the docs were notarized correctly, but to have the HUD sent back immediately. I've never had docs checked for correct notarizations. If you're a notary then you should know when and where on the docs to perform a notarization.

Reply by laurie on 4/21/05 10:50am
Msg #33116

Okay, thanks.

I will give them a try. I am 2 years into this notary business, and still am trying to learn all the companies reps, etc. I have a few companies that are very unorganized, and it drives me crazy (late edocs, 2-3 calls to get paid, bad communications between everyone).

Reply by Christina Dudaklian on 4/21/05 10:52am
Msg #33117

Trust me, I hear ya.....

Reply by dcinnv on 4/21/05 7:03pm
Msg #33234

I would not take 50.00 unless it is withing a 5 mile range. If you do it look for the fee they are paid, I bet it is 200.00, just being cheap. Tell them 60.00

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.