Notary Rotary
Florida LLC's
Notary Discussion History

Florida LLC's
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Paul2_FL on 4/30/05 10:49am
Msg #35034

Florida LLC's

I read a lot of posts on getting or not getting a business license and also on naming or not naming a business. From what I read, it would appear that getting an LLC is probably the best way to go to protect yourself in the event that you ever get sued. My question then is; how many FL SA's have an LLC and how did you get it?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/30/05 1:18pm
Msg #35084

I don;t have an LLC.
But, don't forget you can still get sued as a notary (for notary errors) even if you have an LLC, because you are personally a notary and not the LLC

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/30/05 8:36pm
Msg #35166

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for your input. I always look forward to your responses - your a good mentor!
Let's hope that none of us ever get sued! I was looking for the best way to protect myself just in case it ever happened. I guess the LLC is not the way. Do you have any suggestions?
Also, in another thread, you mentioned you have a "business" license. Is this license in your given name or did you establish a business name? If the latter, what is it?
One last thing... Are you the same Sylvia who is the Admin. for the "Signing Agent Board"?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/30/05 8:45pm
Msg #35167

Yes, my license is in my business name "Florida Mobile Notary Services"

Yes, I am the Admin. of the Florida Signing Agent message board. I recently took it over.

I recommend you get Errors and Omission insurance. You are bonded, but your bond only protects the public, and if it is ever paid out you would have to reimburse the bonding company, which is why E& O is a good idea.

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/30/05 9:04pm
Msg #35171

I already have some E&O Insurance. What would you recommend as a reasonable amount to carry? (Since I have not heard of anyone getting sued, it's hard to determine what makes sense. I'm carrying the basic policy right now.)

Son-of-a-gun! I already had your web-site on my "favorites" list.

Based on what I read on this forum and the Signing Agent Board, I assumed you were one and the same "Sylvia". Great responses on both!

One last thing... How do you find the time to do all this!

Reply by Barry on 4/30/05 10:32pm
Msg #35186

You can do business in your own name as a sole proprietorship. You need no DBA as long as you're using your own name. A SS uses LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) because it has independent contractors who perform the notarizations, and they file taxes under a separate Federal Tax ID number, not a social security number.

The best way to know what to do is to consult with a corporate attorney, tax attorney, or CPA.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.