Notary Rotary
For SA who are part time...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Cherilyn in CO on 4/29/05 10:15am
Msg #34833

On an average, how many signings do you do in a month? I've been doing this for a few years, very part time. Maybe 2 a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. However, I've started advertising a little more and I've been getting tons of signings. I've turned down more than I've taken too.

I did about 7 this week and stick a fork in me, I'm done. About the same last week, too. I felt so relieved when I dropped off my last UPS package last night! My stress level was pretty high this week.

How many do you accept usually? I'm just wondering if I'm taking on too much or if I'm just really unorganized :-) (I work full time too)

Cherilyn

Reply by Alabama on 4/29/05 10:48am
Msg #34850

You must be doing a pretty good job because I think your doing great to have a full time job!
I wouldn't take on that much if worked somewhere else full time (organized or not)
Pat yourself on the back and prop your feet up the end of this month is just about over!

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/29/05 10:49am
Msg #34851

You're doing great! Just watch your stress level. (nm)

Reply by Vicki/MD on 4/29/05 11:01am
Msg #34854

I'm in the same situation. I take as many signings as I need to make my financial goal as a part-timer, and then consider any requests above that number as a "depends on my mood" kind of thing. Recently I've been doing about 50% above that goal and find it a bit stressful now and then. Money's nice and we need a new vehicle soon...I'd say I do between 10-15 per month these days.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 4/29/05 11:09am
Msg #34858

I am strictly part-time too. I do about 10-15 a month. But with this one lender, I get about 10 of these calls. What I have done is set-up a referral for some SA's in my area who I know can execute the documents correctly. I have personally vouched for these people and they are called directly from the lender. Once you attach yourself to a mortgage co, you will start getting the volume and usually at about this time of month.

I like doing the NCS-Placer title overnights, this is mainly due to the fact that the loans are Helocs, overnight, and right around the corner for $100.

I feel your stress, because I am at the same level too. I have even taken to doing these signings during my lunch. I must be nuts.

Reply by Vicki/MD on 4/29/05 11:13am
Msg #34861

Lunch? Wow, that's "out there" ;-) I thought about getting my DC commission so that I could do that too... (work downtown, but licensed in MD), but decided against it since I already get more than I need as it is. No sense having to turn more people down for offered assignments.

Reply by adrock_fl on 4/29/05 11:14am
Msg #34862

I do this part time and average about 30 a month right now. I love it. to me its the least stressful thing i do. I take signings on my lunch break as well and i do them before i even go to my day job. this week i had closings as early as 7am and they were about 1/2 hr from me. I MUST BE NUTS.....
show me the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 4/29/05 11:22am
Msg #34865

I've had lunch signings everyday this week!

Then eat at my desk when I get back.

Uh Cherilyn, that's a mousepad, not a placemat.

Luckily, I don't have one today. I've finally scheduled a much needed haircut for noon today.

Reply by Mary Pierce/PA on 4/29/05 12:17pm
Msg #34880

I have a FT job and do this PT and generally average 2-3 a week but sometimes I'm out every night and sometimes have 2 one of those nights. When the weekend hits I'm bushed. I'm trying to only stick to 2-3 a week though. Don't want my exhaustian to start affecting my FT job.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/29/05 12:54pm
Msg #34888

Re: For SA who are part time... - Cherilyn

Do I get the impression that you are a Judge Marilyn Milian fan?

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 4/29/05 2:26pm
Msg #34908

Does she say stick a fork in me?

Well, then she's a fan of ME as I coined that phrase!! :-)

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/29/05 2:32pm
Msg #34910

Re: Does she say stick a fork in me?

She has two sayings that I love!

1) I wouldn't believe you if your tongue came notarized
2) I'm done, I'm done, stick a fork in me I'm done.

Reply by td on 4/29/05 1:02pm
Msg #34889

I also have a full time job during the day and I average 2-4 signings per week except for these last 2 weeks when I averaged 8 signings last week and 6 this week! I also had to turn down 5 signings but I referred them to other notaries in my area. It's a great little business for me! Good Luck

Reply by Margaret_FL on 4/29/05 2:34pm
Msg #34911

I was doing the Loan Signing full-time until March. I did too many last minute signings where they either canceled the loan or did not sign. Either Slow pay or No pay for Edocs or my time and gas. I have to be able to make my car payment, my cell phone bill and pay my gas credit card bill when it comes in. I have been doing this fulltime for 3 years. March was the first month that my signings income did not cover my basic expenses myself. I had money coming in from other work sources to pay my bills. Also the edocs are getting later and later coming to you, and I am not being compensated for all this time. I can be doing other things making money. I have been doing other work part-time and recently have gotten more work in that area and I can make more on a daily basis than I am currently making. And they are also paying me weekly. I just got a check for $650 for 1 days work. Now I do the signings part-time if I feel like it.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 4/29/05 2:56pm
Msg #34913

Margaret can you email with details

Margaret, can you email with details. I am looking into the appraiser part of the job and I did check out SOFI for the home inspections. I was just wondering if what you may be doing is something that I am considering.

Reply by GregCA on 4/29/05 4:26pm
Msg #34930

Margaret

Can I ask what you're doing to make the $650 daily???

That sounds good.

thanks,

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/29/05 4:48pm
Msg #34934

Re: Margaret

Not Margaret, but until she's got a minute, you might want to read these messages and threads attached:

Msg #31918
Msg #32431
Msg #30357

Margaret is HUD certified. I am not.

Pay special attention to HUD inspection information in her posts. I posted the same info as is in one of those messages above on my blog aka newsletter. You can find it in my profile. It's in the blue box (I think it is blue...) and you'll have to cut and paste it into your url...but in case you lose this thread, you can bookmark the newsletter link and refer back to it.

After reading this NL, a notary wrote me and asked me if I had more info on HUD inspections...follow the links I have provided you in the NL. If you look at the MortgageRamp newsletter you will find in the MortgageRamp >>training<< link in my NL, you will find exactly what you need regarding HUD certification.

I work for only one inspection firm now. I did only $330 in inspections this month at $55-75 each through Mortgage Ramp. Nothing like Ms Margaret, but it was $330 more than I would have otherwise.

But, oh how I love it when those little $55, $110, or $165 deposits drop into my account.

Consider doing draw inspections. $50 is what I charge - 10-15 pictures, no contact with anyone required. One house will probably get you 3-5 during its construction.

You will need to google.com for your area, "draw inspections field inspection services" or a a combination thereof. No one can provide you draw inspection leads better than you can.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 4/29/05 9:06pm
Msg #34964

Message for Brenda

I will be in Houston, TX on 6/1 6/2 and 6/3 for FEMA training. I have had it with Loan Signings , too stressfull, slow pay, too many night closings and alot of Friday night. I just came back from dinner and a movie and I can't remember when the last time we did that.
My husband has been real understanding and most of the time he meets me at the evening signing and does the witness and double checking for me. He says sometimes it is the only time he would see me. I felt bad, I recently had a signing that was supposed to be at 2:00pm that ended up the docs were so late, the signing did not happen until 8:00pm and I did not get home until 11:30pm. We had tickets to Jimmy Buffett, I did not make it and my husband did not go. That was it fo me.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/29/05 11:59pm
Msg #34986

Re: Message for Brenda

"I recently had a signing that was supposed to be at 2:00pm that ended up the docs were so late, the signing did not happen until 8:00pm and I did not get home until 11:30pm. We had tickets to Jimmy Buffett, I did not make it and my husband did not go. That was it fo me."

There's no way I would miss an event that I purchased tickets for just because the title company couldn't get the docs to me on time. I would have told them to find someone else or reschedule for the next day.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 4/30/05 1:23pm
Msg #35085

I have had all kinds of events,meetings, Dr. Appts, dinners, etc. that I have had to reschedule because of these signings that take forever to get the docs. I get calls at 7:30 for a 9:00am signing a hour away. NO MORE. My sister won the tickets and she could not go, so I was not out any money, I was upset, because it was a sell-out we had a chance to go.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/30/05 1:43pm
Msg #35095

**I will be in Houston, TX on 6/1 6/2 and 6/3 for FEMA training.**

Maybe we can meet, Margaret! I could try to set up a pending meeting w/ a TC in Houston during that same time and go during this time...we could perhaps go to "Non-Hooters" or some other nice place for dinner. At least part of this would be tax deductible for me if I scheduled both at the same time.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 4/29/05 8:47pm
Msg #34961

I am HUD certified and do HUD foreclosure inspections. I can do 10 a day at $65 each. I was home by 3:30pm. My husband and I met for dinner and a movie. I declined to do a Friday night signing so I can spend the day with mu husband. I will getting trained in June to be certified to do FEMA inspections. I will be traveling to Houston, Tex next month to attend the training.

Reply by Ieshia on 4/29/05 9:24pm
Msg #34966

How do you get into doing the foreclosure inspections?

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 4/30/05 1:15pm
Msg #35081

Join the Society of Field Inspectors, purchase a directory and apply to all the companies in the directory. If you are qualified then someone will contact. You need training to do the foreclosure inspections. I am HUD certified.

Reply by Ieshia on 4/29/05 9:16pm
Msg #34965

What are the suggestions for advertising, to get your name out there, and is there a place you can get names of many companies to sign up with?

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/30/05 1:46pm
Msg #35096

Ieshia...

Pay the $39 membership to NotaryRotary and you will have a very good list to market to here.

Join the SigningRegistry.info and you will get a good list of companies to market to when you get your feet wet enough to realize they are wet.

Click on my profile and look for a message number that will take you to a laundry list of info for new agents.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/30/05 1:47pm
Msg #35098

Re: Ieshia...Read Msg #33325

Read Msg #33325...that's what's in my profile. I had to look for it myself and could not post until I checked for it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.