Notary Rotary
For Sylvia Re: Business License
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Paul2_FL on 4/28/05 7:56pm
Msg #34703

I sent this in the thread "Re: business licence?" but because of the length of that thread I sure you didn't see it so here it is again.

Hi Sylvia,

"Don't need one just to be a notary, but when we start running a business then we usually do need one."

I'm a little confused (not unusual) about your response above. Being a Notary and collecting fees is, in reality a business in that you are required by the IRS to declare all income received. (Especially since you will declare expenses as well.) When I applied for my certification I don't recall anything stating I had to get a city/county business license. I never gave this a thought! Is there something about being a "Notary" and "starting a business" that allows in one case not to require a license while in the other it does? Bottom line - Am I currently in violation of some city/county FL ordinance that I don't know about?

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/28/05 8:23pm
Msg #34707

My understanding: Notary work, specifically, does not require a business license. You are operating as a Signing Agent and being paid for services other than notary work. Which may require licensing, etc.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/28/05 8:29pm
Msg #34708

Most notaries in Florida are notaries because it is required for their employment.
But as an independent contractor for our mobile notary business we need to get a license.

Check with your city, that is how I found out that I needed to have a license.
BTW where in Florida are you located?

Reply by lorraine2 on 4/28/05 8:45pm
Msg #34711

I am also in Florida (Jacksonville) and I found out that I needed a business license a few months ago when a contracted firm my city had hired contacted me. Said that they had indication that I was operating a business, and that their records did not reflect that I had a business license. Result: gotta business license, but not before I confirmed with the appropriate city department that I needed one. After I thought about it, I was suprised that I hadn't thought to do so in the beginning...live and learn.

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/28/05 11:10pm
Msg #34752

Thanks everybody for the feedback on this issue. I will definitely get a license now!
BTW I live in Spring Hill.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/28/05 11:45pm
Msg #34757

Spring Hill?? Is that in Hernando county?

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/29/05 4:28pm
Msg #34931

Hi Sylvia,

Yes, Spring Hill is in Hernando county. Also, check the latest posting from Bob B on this subject???

Reply by Big B on 4/29/05 10:32am
Msg #34843

As a notary, a business license is not required. The most accurate source of information is the county and city in which you reside. As long as you do not do business from a particular address, and you are working as a mobile notary, the licenses are not needed. Do check with your local city & county government to be certain!

Yes, all income must be reported to the IRS. When you receive gifts, you are supposed to report that as income as well, but I know of no one who has a business license to have birthday presentsSmiley

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/29/05 4:36pm
Msg #34933

Hi Big B,

I thought maybe this subject was a done deal until I got your message.! If I read it correctly you state that a license is not necessary if you are working as a mobile notary and not working from a particular address. I don't know how you can avoid working from a particular address since that is where you receive the docs and payment is made. Did I miss something?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.