Notary Rotary
GPS - shopping
Notary Discussion History

GPS - shopping
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by DellaCa on 4/30/05 1:50pm
Msg #35101

GPS - shopping

I am going shoping for a GPS and I am so comfused on what to get. And where to go shopping. Anyone have the so called hand held ones and do you like it?Thats not what I have been looking at but the price is better than what I'm looking at.
Has anyone had a certain kind and upgraded to another one if so what was the differences and was the up grade worth the extra money?
TIA

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/30/05 1:53pm
Msg #35103

Do I need a GPS??

I am doing fine with Mapquest and a Key Map, a country road map.

I have a Pocket PC, but my mind rejects this GPS stuff...so...do I have to force myself into getting one?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/30/05 2:04pm
Msg #35105

Re: Do I need a GPS??

YesSmiley

Reply by Sylvia you have on 4/30/05 2:10pm
Msg #35109

The Garmun Street Pilot 2620 ???? Did you have another one before this?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/30/05 2:22pm
Msg #35113

No,I have the Garmin V

I want to get the 2620 - several have recommended it as an upgrade over on GMN.

Reply by es/ca on 4/30/05 4:24pm
Msg #35133

I have the portable Garmin street pilot 2610. My husband bought it as a xmas present for me. I thought it was too much money ( w/ rebates $500) since I have mapquest & Thomas Guides. As it turns out I love it. The portable feature is really a good idea for vacations, too. We used it in Hawaii and never had a single fight about directions, where the nearest restaurants, gas stations, hotels, airports. etc. wer. All of that is already programmed into it. On the business side so is the nearest Fed Ex, UPS etc., so you can leave your borrower's house and plug in "nearest" Fedex and go directly to drop off docs . Even if you leave the business it is very nice for traveling. Europe is programmed in, too. Only main highways, though, in Mexico. The portable feature makes it nice because you can use it in any car. It does have audible soyou just sit back and let it tell you where to go. Even if you miss hearing correctly and make a wrong turn, it tells you you are off course and how to get back in the right direction.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/30/05 9:38pm
Msg #35173

Re: Do I need a GPS?? I disagree ...

IMHO, you do not need a GPS. You do need good mapping tools though, and a GPS is a valuable resource, but you don't **need** one. I don't use one in my car, even though I have had them in the past and they are invaluable in boats and planes.

Fortunately for me, the local county appraiser web sites have pretty accurate maps and aerial (satellite) photographs of the counties I service. This allows me to pinpoint the location of the property. I print it out, along with a map or two from Google (http://maps.google.com) and/or DeLorme Street Atlas, which I couldn't live without.

Reply by DellaCA on 4/30/05 2:05pm
Msg #35106

No Brenda you don't have to force yourself,none of us do do we?Smiley
But I am tired of trying to see in the dark and would like an easier way I have been using map quest mostly and printing out but then I am turning on the light dome to try to read it as I go.
I think it would be worth it for me (besides I WANT one) My birthday present.

Reply by DellaCA on 4/30/05 2:07pm
Msg #35107

See Sylvia thinks so.
How does a pocket PC help?I'm very illiterate about it.

Reply by Becky on 4/30/05 2:10pm
Msg #35110

You can download mapquest to your pocket pc

Reply by Dellaca on 4/30/05 2:12pm
Msg #35111

Thanks Becky so then no paper print outs to deal with.

Reply by Becky on 4/30/05 2:22pm
Msg #35114

That's right. But I've always prefered the paper printout. I print the directions on to the back of the confirmation order. This becomes part of my record keeping for mileage. Secondly, I find it unsafe to be fondling with keys on my pocket pc while driving. I keep my printed directions under the visor and turn on the light to glance at the directions while driving. I use the pocket pc to keep my calendar of appointments. Keep info I need to quote to TC or SS while out of the office - such as zipcodes, list of No-no companies, etc.

p/s I prefer Yahoo maps vs. Mapquest. Yahoo has the L or R turns in bold. Much easier to follow directions.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 4/30/05 2:17pm
Msg #35112

I purchased Microsoft Streets and maps and it comes with a USB GPS for your laptop. It is a must for me doing inspections. I do not have anyone to call to locate the property. Mapquest is wrong for me too often. I don't have to print anything out, I have a car desktop that my laptop sits on and I can see it perfectly as I drive. I love it, its so neat to see it track you and tell you right where you are. It only cost $129.95 at Circuit City

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/30/05 3:13pm
Msg #35118

Can it be set to give audible prompts? This is the feature that I've been holding out on the car units. That feature tends to bump the price up significantly.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 4/30/05 5:41pm
Msg #35143

No it can not voice prompt

Reply by Dan_CA on 4/30/05 6:30pm
Msg #35150

I guess all you chicks need a GPS to get across town.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/30/05 7:40pm
Msg #35160

**I guess all you chicks need a GPS to get across town.**

The "chicks" who want these GPS things are married to "dudes" who won't stop and ask for directions when they are lost.

The mobile notary gig is but a covert and carefully planned method to avoid being lost in places similar to East LA ... with that clenchy feeling.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/30/05 9:59pm
Msg #35175

>>> married to "dudes" who won't stop and ask for directions when they are lost. <<<

Say what???? "Dudes" are never "lost". They know where they are every inch of the way and they know exactly where they need to go.

Now, they might have a bit of difficulty in determining the best route to take to get from the point they know they're at to the point they know they need to get to. But, they are NEVER LOST!!!

Reply by BrendaTX on 5/1/05 8:10pm
Msg #35209

Oh. Now I understand.

Smiley

Reply by DellaCa on 5/1/05 10:15pm
Msg #35223

Exactly Paul !

Reply by Carol_SoCal on 4/30/05 3:21pm
Msg #35120

Re: Try a Thomas Guide

http://thomasguide.com/

This is a link to what I feel is the most useful tool for a person in our profession. Police Officers have used them for years and years. The guide is VERY easy to use and accurate. Do you REALLY want another electronic device? :o)

Reply by Becky on 4/30/05 3:41pm
Msg #35125

I love Thomas Guide. Wish they had it for other parts of the country.

Reply by To Carol_SoCal from ss notary on 4/30/05 3:55pm
Msg #35126

Exactly, nothing wrong with Thomas Guide. I do use mapquest often however, a few times they are wrong but close enough I can figure the rest out.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/30/05 4:56pm
Msg #35138

I want as many *useful* electronics as I can get. Smiley

Reply by ERNA_CA on 4/30/05 6:36pm
Msg #35151

None of thees work when driving dirt tracks in Adelanto at night. Borrowers directions and lots of luck is all we have.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/30/05 9:44pm
Msg #35174

Thomas Guides are great. They provide detailed, easy-to-read street-level mapping in a convenient bound format. However coverage is limited to the West Coast, Arizona, and Washington, D.C. area.

Reply by BrendaTX on 5/1/05 8:18pm
Msg #35210

For Texas, one could try:

http://www.nationalmapco.com

Reply by BrendaTX on 5/1/05 8:40pm
Msg #35212

For... AK-OK-LA-TX , one could try:

The link is not very forthcoming:
http://www.nationalmapco.com

HOWEVER,

I have right here before me a Key Map type book which I borrowed from my realtor friend. I took the link off of the back of it. The cover purports to cover

Killeen/Fort Hood
Terrell/Kaufman
Waco
San Marcos/New Braunfels

to name a few. Also says they cover four states:

Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana

Reply by Barry on 4/30/05 10:04pm
Msg #35177

I bought a vehicle with Navigation. It works great, but the price tag is very high.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 4/30/05 10:15pm
Msg #35181

Love my Garmin 2620!

I still print Yahoo map for "backup", but I love my Garmin 2620. The voice prompts makes it all worth while. I don't have do strain looking for street signs at night or house numbers. It tells you when to turn R or L and shows you the street names on the map. It tells you that you are arriving at your destination on the L or R. If you make a wrong turn it tells you "Off route..recalculating" and then it will get you back on track. I find it invaluable and well worth the $899 I paid for it!

Reply by Monica -FL on 4/30/05 11:45pm
Msg #35193

Believe it or not, my daughter has one in her CELL PHONE!

Reply by DellaCa on 5/1/05 10:25pm
Msg #35225

Re: GPS - shopping Thanks

For all the replys,I think I'm going for the 2610 or the upgrade 2620.I don't see the big diff. between the two .The 2620 for 799. or the 2610 for 550. both new both warranty.I have seen the specs on both but for the price I just don't see the diff. If some else does please let me know. Thanks

Reply by Joan-OH on 5/1/05 10:56pm
Msg #35238

Check before you buy. I purchased the 2620 because all the updated maps were already installed. I think you have to install them with the 2610. There may also be more memory in the 2620. The plug and play feature on the 2620 is what sold me. Bought it, plugged it in, and off I went.

Joan

Reply by DellaCa on 5/2/05 1:15am
Msg #35249

This is what they said when I asked the diff. Does this mean I will have to download each map I want ? Not sure what that means.

The 2620 has a hard drive the contains all the data.

All other factors are the same.

You can buy a 2610 and a 2 gig card, download the data and basically
you
will have a 2620 with out a hard drive. Most of our motorcyclist and
truck
drivers go this route.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 5/2/05 1:27am
Msg #35250

You are right. The maps are already loaded on the 2620 for the entire USA. You can take it anywhere and not have to download maps for different areas. I couldn't justify buying a larger card and downloading maps when I could have it all for $100 more. By the way, $799 is a good price. I paid $899 in February and the going retail price then was $1200.

Reply by DellaCa on 5/2/05 10:18am
Msg #35278

The 2010 is 550.It would be 250. more BUT by the time I get the card for it, it raises the price,and I don't know what that would be.So Your right might as well go for the 2620.
Thank Barbara.

Reply by Dave_CA on 5/2/05 10:43am
Msg #35279

Look at TomTom GO

I have one and love it. It was PC Magazine choice a few months ago.
Great 3D maps and voice quality.
http://www.tomtom.com/

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.