Grant Deed info please for this morning
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by ca on 4/25/05 10:05am
Msg #33765

Question please
On the Grant Deed it reads receipt of which is hereby acknowledged,John Doe,as a Married man as his sole and separate property

Hereby grants to John Doe and Jane Doe,husband and wife as joint tenants.

Then it has my Ca. ack to fill in my question is on the Ack do I put Both Jane and John personally appeared or is this only John personally.

I take it that it is his property and he is putting her name on it.but I'm not sure on the ack and If both signs or just John Doe.
Thank You for any help.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 4/25/05 10:12am
Msg #33768

What name(s) appear below the signature line? That's your hint on what signature(s) you are acknowledging. In this case it should just be John Doe. If John and Jane Doe were signing the property over to James Smith, you would be notarizing John and Jane Doe's signature. Hope that helps.

Reply by ca on 4/25/05 10:34am
Msg #33773

It is just John Doe , I have made a mistake and started to put both names as I was doing what I could in advance.Would I then put a mark thru the incorrect name and have John Doe Initial? I was nervous about it being the Grant Deed.?

Reply by Ninna_La on 4/25/05 10:36am
Msg #33775

Only you need to initial corrections in the acknowledgment portion.

Reply by Ninna_La on 4/25/05 10:35am
Msg #33774

Check the signature blocks.... it may be that just the grantor is signing, i.e, John Doe.... in which case your acknowledgment would only state John Doe. HOWEVER, the grantees may also sign accepting the joint tenancy vesting. If that's the case, then John Doe would sign twice (once as grantor and once as grantee) and Jane Doe would sign once, as grantee. Your acknowledgment would then state John Doe and Jane Doe.

Reply by ca on 4/25/05 10:40am
Msg #33776

John Doe is the only one in signiture box,so it can line thru my mistake and only I would inital,it this correct?Thank you so much.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/25/05 10:58am
Msg #33780

No, not correct.

John Doe would be the one to initial it.

You initial corrections in the notarial block. The borrower(s) initial(s) other corrections.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/25/05 11:07am
Msg #33782

Thread Confusion - You are Correct

Ernest, he said earlier he had written both names in the notary block, so he is referring to modifying the notary block, which he can do, and only he should initial.

How's that for a conversational run-on....

Reply by ca -Thank You All N/M on 4/25/05 11:22am
Msg #33788

Re: Thread Confusion - You are Correct

Reply by ca -Thank You All N/M on 4/25/05 11:22am
Msg #33790

Re: Thread Confusion - You are Correct

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/25/05 11:24am
Msg #33791

Oops! Thanks, Stephen_VA!

Yes, you are correct. I had difficulty following which names were where until I went back and re-read the initial post. Sorry!

Reply by Jon on 4/25/05 2:00pm
Msg #33820

OK Ernest...Just don't let it happen again!!!!! n/m

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/25/05 4:07pm
Msg #33859

(hanging his head in shame) OK, Jon. Sorry. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.