Notary Rotary
HI I am new
Notary Discussion History

HI I am new
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Melissa Allen on 4/12/05 11:52am
Msg #31137

HI I am new

Hi i am new and i have my first notary signing tomorrow i am nerves and is there any tips you guys can give me what they said i would be siging is a deed thingy the two ppl are getting a divorce and one is giving the deed to the other are something like that please help and do you know where i can learn the different types of forms at thank you melissa

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/12/05 12:00pm
Msg #31139

A deed thingy? Oh my.

It sounds like you're notarizing a single document so what do you need to know? Surely as a commissioned notary you know how to do a basic notarization without our help.

I will offer you this help though:

http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/arts/writcent/hypergrammar/punct.html

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/12/05 12:08pm
Msg #31140

Melissa
You need to tell us what state you are in.
Sounds like it may be a Quit Claim Deed, and if so, if you were in Florida, then they would need another witness besides yourself, as two witnesses are necessary in Florida for this, and they would need to remember to print their names under their signatures.

So, it is important to state your location. I could quite easily have given you that information without stating that it was for Florida, and it could have been wrong information for your state.

You really need to study your state's notary laws as to the notarization part of any document, and know them thoroughly before doing any actual notarizations.

Reply by Melissa Allen on 4/12/05 12:11pm
Msg #31144

I am in Georgia

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/12/05 12:53pm
Msg #31174

Melissa
I hate to tell you this, but you cannot do loan signings in Georgia. Only attorneys are allowed to do loan signings.
I sure hope you didn't become a notary to do loan signings.

You an do regular notary work, but I don't think it really pays in GA.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/12/05 2:13pm
Msg #31206

She can work with an Attorney. The documents still need to be notarized, the just can't conduct the signing.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/12/05 12:08pm
Msg #31141

Melissa
You need to tell us what state you are in.
Sounds like it may be a Quit Claim Deed, and if so, if you were in Florida, then they would need another witness besides yourself, as two witnesses are necessary in Florida for this, and they would need to remember to print their names under their signatures.

So, it is important to state your location. I could quite easily have given you that information without stating that it was for Florida, and it could have been wrong information for your state.

You really need to study your state's notary laws as to the notarization part of any document, and know them thoroughly before doing any actual notarizations.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/12/05 12:17pm
Msg #31148

hey good luck...

Reply by Deb/CO on 4/12/05 12:18pm
Msg #31149

GA?

Atty state, no? Are you also an attorney?

Reply by Anonymous on 4/12/05 12:19pm
Msg #31150

Re: GA?

no i am just a notary.. and i am so new at this lol

Reply by Deb/CO on 4/12/05 12:21pm
Msg #31151

It is my understanding that GA is an attorney-only closing state. Someone else?

Reply by Jon on 4/12/05 12:23pm
Msg #31152

Not a closing, a single doc notarization.

Reply by Deb/CO on 4/12/05 12:25pm
Msg #31157

But she says 'notary signing'--is it just notarizations and not a loan signing/closing? If so, you're off the hook. If it's a signing/closing, different scenario.

Reply by HDW_TN on 4/12/05 12:23pm
Msg #31153

DEB/CO...to my understanding it is. I live 10 min from the GA line and have always been told that it is such. If it has changed I would LOVE to know.

Reply by Melissa Allen on 4/12/05 12:25pm
Msg #31155

we are close to each other HDW_TN you live near chatsworth are dalton

Reply by HDW_TN on 4/12/05 12:26pm
Msg #31158

Both!

Reply by ssnotary on 4/12/05 1:49pm
Msg #31201

You are not just a notary, you are indeed a Notary Public.

Reply by HisHughness on 4/12/05 11:36pm
Msg #31371

Deb/CO asks of Melissa, who inquires about a "deed thingy":

***Are you also an attorney?***

It should be pretty obvious, Deb, that Melissa is indeed an attorney. You will seldom hear a lay person use terms of art like "deed thingy." Normally only lawyers use such technical terms.

For the uninitiated among you, "deed thingy" is a corruption (circa 1570 approx) of the Latin Delictum Teste, originally the spot on a freehold where the remnants of mountain oyster stew was dumped. Because of the continuous rich deposits made in that location over the course of many years, the flora there tended to be quite lush. On any freehold, the Delictum Teste (or, as currently known, the "deed thingy") was generally the prime piece of real estate. As such, the practice developed over time to plat that plot separatedly from the remainder of the freehold, and convey it separately; the conveyance became known as the "deed thingy." Of course, once the Delictum Teste had been conveyed out of a freehold, that necessitated that mountain oyster stew scraps be dumped in a new spot, which in turn became a new Delictum Teste. Over the centuries, several major European fortunes were founded on the conveyance of deed thingys and the subsequent creation of new deed thingys. The founder of the PEZ candy empire, for example, got his original investment from an inheritance based soley on the revenue from 600 years of deed thingy conveyances.

Unfortunately, with the rise of the "Do Unto Udders as You Would Have Udders Do Unto You" movement in late 18th Century Europe, mountain oyster stew was virtually eliminated from the diet of most European countries, and with the demise of the stew as a menu item, the deed thingy also became a thing of the past.

Melissa is most fortunate to have the opportunity to begin her notary career by witnessing such a transaction, and I am envious. I am also impressed that she, a brand new notary, knew the correct terminology to use for such an obscure matter.

Reply by Deb/CO on 4/13/05 12:18am
Msg #31373

It was kind of tongue in cheek...I mean, I did see the 'thingy' above...the whole thing really was a scam, though, wasn't it?

I did, though, enjoy your research on the word play, Hugh ;)

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/13/05 12:49am
Msg #31375

HisHughness have his tongue in his cheek?

Perish the thought! He would never attempt to bamboozle you. He was attempting to give us all some valuable background on the heritage of the modern notary public.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/12/05 12:39pm
Msg #31167

I just did my first signing and was a nervous wreck. The ss sent the docs to the borrower and not me so didn't get to even look at what I was doing till I got there. It was only a HELOC but I had no way to prepare other than reading my manual. I would have liked to have known what docs were normaly in a HELOC before hand, this one was only 2 copies of the deed. Also both I and the borrower had in our instructions to be the party to return the docs. I told the borrower I would go straight to UPS and send the docs which I did. To top it all off Mapquest was wrong and I had to call for directions.

I think the key to getting over the nerves is getting a flow going.... I look back at what the notary did when we refinanced. He had his journal mostly filled out when we arrived. At the time what I was unsure of was he didn't fill out or stamp any of the notorial certs at the signing. I can't remember if they were done before he came or after he left. That was a couple of months before I went to notary classes. So now that I know better I really can't use that notary as an example to follow.

If any of you would care to share what you do to prepare for the table and at the table to create a flow that would be appreciated.

Reply by Melissa Allen on 4/12/05 12:49pm
Msg #31170

man i just called our college they dont even offer classes are anything to learn more about notary public i dont even have a handbook are a manual

Reply by Charm_AL on 4/12/05 1:02pm
Msg #31184

nervous wreck...

Welcome to the club! I remember shaking on the way to HFC, which was my first. I will always be grateful to that office for the training. I admitted it was my first, they thought I meant my first with them. They let me go over the docs for a few minutes while the borrowers were watching the 'video'
After three or so, you won't be so nervous. I sign a lot at the HFC through IREP (listed up in the signing services) They request me because I'm fast and accurate. I love it!

A tip. have the first borrower sit to your left and the second, if there is one, sit to his left. That way, the docs are passed in a circular motion and easier to keep it flowing. Start off by saying "Hi I'm sure your loan officer has explained everything in detail...if not, and you have a question, we can call him at anytime. My job is to verify your identity and witness your signing, as I am not an attorney and can't answer any questions about your loan." Start with the HUD, that would be the doc most may question or study. Most will accept this reply - "you have three days to go over this and talk to your loan officer" as you explain the RTC and have them sign it. After that it should go smoothly. Fortunately, every signing to date has been successfully closed because I keep the process moving and I'm confident. In their eyes I know what I'm doing. Also smile and compliment something, it warms them up. I usually say something light like " I'll make sure you have writer's cramp before you leave or you must have great credit, this is a small package, we'll be done in no time!...they like that!

Reply by Anonymous on 4/12/05 1:12pm
Msg #31189

Re: nervous wreck...

thanks charm, great tips... hey how much experience did you have when you got signed up with IREP? When I phoned them the gentleman said they require 1 year loan signing experience and that I should call back after I have 10 months under my belt. But I thought I had read a post somewhere in here that a member did thier first signing for IREP...

Reply by Charm_AL on 4/12/05 1:16pm
Msg #31191

IREP was my first, however, I told the girl that I was very familiar and comfortable with all the docs because I was a mortgage broker. She got approval and they've been calling me since.
Try dropping into your local HFC's and Beneficails to introduce yourself and leave cards. They can request you when they call IREP

Reply by Anonymous on 4/12/05 1:46pm
Msg #31200

I learned of IREP by calling the local Beneficial, they gave me IREP's number and said they get all thier notaries from them. IREP wasn't interested in taking any info from me at all until I had experience. I think after about a dozen signings I'll try again, hopefully when they hear me speak about my experience they will take me on before the 10 months..

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/12/05 9:14pm
Msg #31345

No, no, no! NEVER comment on their credit! Praise ...

... their handwriting, their sense of humor, anything they can change, but for pitty sake, don't make any comments on their credit, the amount of the loan, their occupations (unless they bring it up), or anything else in the loan documents. No matter what you say they could be seriously offended that you'd mention their credit, etc.

Reply by Jon on 4/12/05 12:24pm
Msg #31154

Just follow your state laws and you will do it perfectly. If you don't know your state laws, either learn them quick or refer it to another notary.

Reply by Melissa Allen on 4/12/05 12:33pm
Msg #31162

thank you all for the help i am looking into the laws now to see what i can find out anyone else get there packages from fedex the man told me it will be here sometime tomorrow i take it it is the papers for the pl to sign i dont mean to act dumb are anything but i am just starting out doing this and i thank you all for your help.. tks alot

Reply by HDW_TN on 4/12/05 12:34pm
Msg #31164

Melissa, send me an email and I will share some knowledge with you.

Reply by Melissa Allen on 4/12/05 12:35pm
Msg #31166

[e-mail address] ty so much

Reply by Reggie on 4/12/05 12:50pm
Msg #31171

Melissa

Maybe you should make some business decissions before you take anymore signings. One, learn the laws in GA. Two, make sure you have the right equipment before you accept anymore signings. Three, this site is a good place to learn read every post you can on signing,what the laws are in GA,and read every post PAW and several other folks on this site have to say when they are discussing different topics for signature and Notarizing. Oh, One other thing always put your state somewhere in your post so people have a frame of reference.

Reggie
Kansas

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/12/05 12:56pm
Msg #31177

Melissa

Melissa
Please e-mail me (click on the link in my profile) and I will e-mail you the very brief GA handbook (if it can even be called that)

Reply by Jon on 4/12/05 12:56pm
Msg #31178

Melissa,

If you search the past posts, you will find several by a Mass notary named Korey. You should contact him as he is always willing to help and it seems as though you have things in common, like stikingly similar writing styles. Just a thought. Smiley

Reply by LlL/fl on 4/12/05 1:14pm
Msg #31190

Looks like a resemblance to me to

Reply by Melissa Allen on 4/12/05 1:25pm
Msg #31194

why is that lil lol melissa from ga

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.