How to Bill SS
Notary Discussion History

How to Bill SS
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by NotaryGirl_CA on 4/13/05 10:01am
Msg #31418

How to Bill SS

Hi All,

I have not yet seen one payment and I have been working for approx. 40 days. I have faxed over an invoice to the SS's with appropriate information on it, or should I mail a hard copy as well? Should the checks start rolling in? I feel like I am working for free. Is it better to work directly with the Title companies if you want payment more promptly? I just want to see some money out of this.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 4/13/05 10:04am
Msg #31420

Give them 30 to 45 days and then invoice again, along with a call to the SS or TC.

Reply by NotaryGirl_CA on 4/13/05 10:06am
Msg #31421

So, is it like pulling teeth to get money, because that doesn't sound like fun at all? Is it a 30-45 pay? Do they normally pay on time?

Reply by LawrenceOK on 4/13/05 10:14am
Msg #31425

Yes, this is considered the normal turn around time for most SS's. Most SS's pay 30 days after the fact (you did signing on march 15th, SS pays you April 15-25) see how it works. Of course they're are some SS's out there that dont pay at all, do a search for no no list and check to see if the SS you did the work for is on the list.

Reply by Charm_AL on 4/13/05 10:21am
Msg #31426

That's another question to ask the TC/SS during the initial contact if you do not have an agreement that states when they pay. I keep a file of outstanding invoices in date order and once a week I'll go thru it. If I have an invoice 30 days or older I'll call and ask about it. I just called one of my title companies and inquired about a signing a month ago. The gentleman was surprised that my check hadn't been cut just days after it funded, which was 3/18. He is cutting it today Smiley

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/13/05 10:26am
Msg #31428

NotaryGirl
This is normal for some signing services. There are some where you wait 60 days (and then there are the ones who don't pay at all!)

Working with title companies is always better, however until you have had more experience with signings it is not recommended.

This is one reason why we recommend no-one give up their regular job until they get established.

Reply by NotaryGirl_CA on 4/13/05 10:36am
Msg #31432

I totally agree with you on not giving up your day job. I would not recomend it... I needed something to do with my time, and get extra money as well (Housewife.. no kids) I love it thus far, but would like the money a little faster, but I am sure once it gets going the checks will roll in monthly? Should I send a hard copy after faxing them the invoice, or just mail the hard copy and not fax? I appreciate the advice!!

Reply by Deb/CO on 4/13/05 10:40am
Msg #31435

You might try emailing and faxing the invoice. Some do mail and fax, but I don't like being redundant.

As for checks 'rolling in' clearly that will depend on the volume of business you're doing and the kind of clients you do business with--how much is in the pipeline, so to speak. Personally, I have checks come in every day, and that's because I have a lot in the pipeline. I don't pine away on a check for work I did 3 weeks ago, because there are other checks coming in. The more you have out there, the more that should be coming in. Just like everything, it's all in the numbers.

One word of advice, though--just don't let some clients get 60 or more days out--that's when things start to stink Smiley

Reply by Melody on 4/13/05 11:09am
Msg #31443

Syliva is right.

My experience was that SSs paid in 45-60 days. I used to work for two companies that regularly paid on the 15th of the month following the signing. But that was delayed if the loan funded after the 30th.

Make certain to fax them your W-9. Most won't pay without that on file.

Yes, TCs pay faster. But if you start to work for a TC without 100 signings under your belt, you are nuts. If you make 1 mistake, the TC will never call you again and you will have lost a client for life.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/13/05 11:39am
Msg #31458

A Sylvia by any other name...

...Is just as sweet. She's been:

Silvia

Slivia

Slyvia

and now, she's

Syliva (Saliva?)

I am guilty, too. I think she has stopped trying to correct us.

Sorry Sylbia!!

Smiley

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/13/05 12:00pm
Msg #31463

Re: A Sylvia by any other name...

Just call her "mumsie".

Popsie

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/13/05 12:08pm
Msg #31466

Wotchit Popsie!!!!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/13/05 12:08pm
Msg #31465

LOL!
Yes, I stopped trying to correct people a long time ago. For some reason when it comes to spelling my name people become dyslexic and reverse the i and the v, or they spell with an i instead of a y.
I really don;t know why it is so hard to spell my name. I never have any problem spelling it.

Syvlia

oops

Silvia

Darn it!

Sylvia - Yeah got it!!!

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/13/05 6:58pm
Msg #31530

Since HisHughness prefers to be called ...

... Emperor Hugh, perhaps we should call the lady to whom we owe great thanks "Queen Sylvia, font of all knowledge notarial", "Empress Sylvia, ruler of notaries public and protector of the seal", or simply "Her highness".

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.