Notary Rotary
I made a mistake
Notary Discussion History

I made a mistake
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Ali-IL on 4/6/05 8:03pm
Msg #30036

I made a mistake

After a signing today I noticed that I dated everything with last months date. I crossed the month off and inserted todays and initialed.

One of the document is the mortgage. I am sure that it will be returned has anyone had that happen?

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/6/05 8:24pm
Msg #30039

Confession is good for the soul.

Sorry that happened to you! If you mean on the notary sections only, it might be okay. I have to correct dates all the time that others have put in and which are incorrect (i.e. month, day, 2003).

Reply by Ali-IL on 4/6/05 8:53pm
Msg #30044

My biggest concern is the mortgage doc.

Reply by Hampton/CA on 4/6/05 9:03pm
Msg #30045

If you're referring to the date you entered in the notarial section, draw a line through it, change it, and initial it. That's acceptable in CA. My guess it that you'll be fine.

Reply by Ali-IL on 4/6/05 9:19pm
Msg #30054

I hope so. It is one of those that has to be approved by the signing service first.

Reply by Hampton/CA on 4/6/05 9:20pm
Msg #30056

"It is one of those that has to be approved by the signing service first."

That makes it easier. If they want it done cleaner (and you still have the docs), line through the ACK and attach a loose certificate.

Reply by Ted_MI on 4/6/05 9:53pm
Msg #30065

Ali,

Nope, I don't think it will be returned, and I will tell you why. I had a HELOC signing where the bank got the city where the borrowers lived wrong. I was not aware of this until I was at the signing and was enlightened by the borrowers. I don't remember exactly what happened, but I imagine that the borrowers simply lined it out, put in the correct city, and then initialled it.

So I fed-exed it back; the bank was aware of the problem. Never heard anything about this after that.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/6/05 10:43pm
Msg #30078

Ali - relax, this is something that I am sure has happened to more than one of us.
I have done a signing in Brevard county, then my next signing has been in St Lucie county, and I inadvertently put Brevard county for the venue, I realized it, put a single line through it and corrected it - and initialed the correction. Everything was fineSmiley
I am sure it is the same with the date - I have had docs where the notary certificate has been prefilled and had the wrong date, I just line through , correct and initial. Never a problem.

Reply by Tecia on 4/7/05 11:35am
Msg #30159

Remember: Anytime you catch or make a mistake on a document and you are at the signing table...The borrowers have a clean set of docs. If I or the borrowers make a mistake I usually ask them for the clean copy from their docs and give them the errored copy with the error corrected (for some of them who feel uncomfortable) for their records. Everyone is happy. Just a suggestion for others who make simple errors of any sort.

Reply by Ali_IL on 4/7/05 2:22pm
Msg #30194

I got a couple from the company today and, they accepted my crossout and initials.

I feel relieved especially since I did it on the mortgage.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.