Notary Rotary
Insurance
Notary Discussion History

Insurance
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Joanne_SL on 4/29/05 7:03am
Msg #34796

Insurance

Does anyone out there have health/disability insurance as a self-employed individual? If so, where did you get it and what did it run monthly. I think that there should be some company who provides it. Any responses or suggestions would be great. Thanks. You can respond here or email me at [e-mail address].

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 4/29/05 9:15am
Msg #34812

Be cautious

We are fortunate that my wife works for a company that provides excellent health insurance.
That is actually the main reason that she is employed.
As you get older you also might need to sit by the side of the road with a sign around your neck that says "Will work for health insurance".
Hugh and any of the Red staters interested can get into a political debate about this issue if they want, but I am sure that I will agree with Hugh.
That said , I have heard of many fly by night operations that offer Health Insurance to the Self Employed. Some have found that the main function of these companies is collecting premiums and then stalling or denying benefits when you have a claim.
Check out the company very carefully before you buy.

Reply by Melody on 4/29/05 9:19am
Msg #34813

New York state

Joanne,

I just looked at your profile to see what state you live in.

New York handles health insurance very differently than most states. I discovered this when I was investigating starting a nationwide health insurance group and many insurers said they would work with me only if I excluded NY. I don't know why.

I suggest you ask NY folks for information. The rest of us may unknowingly mislead you.

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 4/29/05 9:37am
Msg #34817

Link Enclosed

I don't know about disability (although AFLAC has some good policies) but my husband is self employed and got health insurance through Blue Cross through ehealthinsurance.com

It takes all of your information (including your area) and gives you a quote from many different companies.

Be advised though, that if you have preexisting conditions, you probably will not qualify for individual health insurance.

Reply by ColleenCA on 4/29/05 10:03am
Msg #34828

Re: Link Enclosed

I tried AFLAC and they do not write individual disability policies in CA. I would love to find a company that does. You never know when you might need that benefit.

Reply by scnotary on 4/29/05 10:12am
Msg #34830

MediShare is a very good one. Excellent rates Go under your search engine and look for them

Reply by Big B on 4/29/05 10:17am
Msg #34834

You need to shop it around with insurance companies. Do price comparisons, and ask the right questions regarding co-pays for office visits, types of malodies covered, and co-pays for the prescriptions. The more you shop, the more you learn.

Remember, insurance people are in sales. They will only tell you the positives. If you do not ask about ther negatives, you are apt to learn a harsh and expensive lesson.

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 4/29/05 11:50am
Msg #34876

This may be different in your state, but in my state, our net income being self employed alows us to be covered through the state offered health insurance.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/29/05 8:07pm
Msg #34956

www.healthcareshopper.com

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.