Laser Printers ;)
Notary Discussion History

Laser Printers ;)
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by RBargas on 4/12/05 6:00pm
Msg #31289

Laser Printers ;)

Hi !

I am looking for an All In One Laser Printer...with two trays with alternating reg and legal size to print EDOCS............Any suggestions?? Thanks in Advance!!!

Reply by Laura_NH on 4/12/05 6:13pm
Msg #31295

Hi, I have been looking too. Its my understanding that the HP3100 ? is the best. When you buy a laser printer make sure you have the pcl capability of printing pcl 5, 5e and 6. I made the mistake of buying a 4 in one printer, copier, fax, scanner, that is not laser and doesnt have that capability....so that is now my backup. Good luck! laura

Reply by Stella/CA on 4/12/05 6:21pm
Msg #31297

Hi Laura -

Excuse me, what exactly does pcl 5 stand for? Thanks

Reply by Ronza Bargas on 4/12/05 6:41pm
Msg #31301

Thanks Laura!!

What does pcl mean??

I found a Brother MFC-7820N Mono Laser Flatbed All In One
Have you heard of this one???

Reply by Laura_NH on 4/12/05 6:48pm
Msg #31302

Hi, actually i dont know what pcl stands for. I just know from posting messages on the board that it is absolutely necessary in order to get downloads and edocs from the ss that send us edocs. It has to do with a software, and if your laser printer has the pcl 5, 5e and/or 6 capability it makes life a whole lot easier.

I dont know about the brother mfc-7820n mono laser flatbed, but if you check the orange search button and put that in there, there may be some info on the board about that.

good luck! laura

Reply by RBargas on 4/12/05 7:01pm
Msg #31308

Thanks Laura!!

Searching Now!!!

I currently have a HP PSC2410xi Photosmart All in On......This might just be fine...still looking on the PCL Driver though.....

Tx Again!!!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/12/05 9:33pm
Msg #31348

PCL is for LASER printers ...

PCL stands for Page Control Language (or sometimes as Printer Command Language). It was developed by Hewlett-Packard who owns the patent on the language and maintains all rights to it. Therefore, only HP printers natively support PCL. All other manufacturers emulate PCL in their printer drivers.

The number after "PCL" is the level or release, of the language. PCL4 became the first "laser printer only" release of PCL which means that in order to support and use PCL 4 and higher, you must have a laser printer. But, not all laser printers support PCL. You need to check the specifications of the printer to ensure that it supports PCL.

The latest release of PCL is level 6, or PCL6. However, there aren't any document preparation packages that I know of, that is using PCL6. Most are based on PCL4 with some now basing the files on PCL5e ("e" meaning "enhanced").

So what does this mean to the Notary Signing Agent? In order to print edocs, you MUST have a laser printer. (Not because it prints PCL, but because laser printing resists cracking, peeling, fading, and smearing. Ink from inkjets do not have all these characteristics.) Ok, so now you know you must have a Laser printer. To print some of the PCL prepared files (VMP, eLynx, SwiftView, Rakis, etc.) you will need a PCL compliant laser printer as it will search for one. Inkjets will not do.

However, it must be noted that not all files will require PCL compliant printers. Files that are received as PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format) or DOC (MS Word format) will print to ANY Windows acceptable printer, laser or otherwise.

Reply by Alan65/CA on 4/13/05 12:16am
Msg #31372

Abbreviated as PDL, a language for describing the layout and contents of a printed page. The best-known PDLs are Adobe PostScript and Hewlett-Packard PCL (Printer Control Language), both of which are used to control laser printers.
Both PostScript and modern versions of PCL are object-oriented, meaning that they describe a page in terms of geometrical objects such as lines, arcs, and circles.

Reply by Roni_CA on 4/13/05 10:12am
Msg #31424

Thanks Alan,

This information has been very helpful!!

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/12/05 6:55pm
Msg #31303

Search Tool Will Show You The LIGHT n/m :)

Reply by lag-Fl on 4/12/05 7:00pm
Msg #31307

Re: Search Tool Will Show You The LIGHT n/m :)

Cute.I like that. That is a very nice way of telling us where to look.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 4/12/05 7:21pm
Msg #31316

Consumer Reports for May/2005 just came out and it listed the top 3 laser printers as follows:

Brother HL-1440, $150 HP 1012 $200 and Brother HL-5140. They said the Bother printers were the fastest and the cheapest to run.

I have 2 all-in-ones Brother MFC 4800, and the Brother 8840D with flatbed scanner/copier and dual trays. My other Brother printer is an HL-5040 with dual trays.

I agree with Consumer Reports, the toner cartridges are about 68.00 but they last for which seems like forever.

Brother support is fantastic. I used to have HP printers but I switched due to horrible support and always having problems. HP support was outright rude to me.

Reply by Lag-Fl on 4/12/05 7:25pm
Msg #31318

I also Have the Brother 8840-d. It has PCL6. I love it.

Reply by Victoria/FL on 4/12/05 7:31pm
Msg #31319

I have a Brother MFC-8440 and love it! It was $379.00 at Costco. It has an additional tray for $199 so that you can have both letter and legal.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.