Notary Rotary
Letter of consent for minor traveling to Canada
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 4/7/05 9:59am
Msg #30138

I'm pretty new and have searched this sight to see if there were any references regarding this subject, but couldn't find anything. A friend of mine has a teenager who is going to Canada this Spring and she needs a letter of consent. It seems that all children traveling out of the country alone are now required to carry a letter of consent. Would I use an Acknowlegment or Jurat?

Thank You

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/7/05 10:05am
Msg #30139

It isn't for you to decide whether it should be an acknowledgment or a jurat.
If there isn't already a certificate on the document, then you must let the signer know of the options - describing both an acknowledgment and a jurat - and let the signer tell you what they want on it.

Reply by Melody on 4/7/05 10:11am
Msg #30140

Post your email address and I'll send you some information.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/7/05 10:25am
Msg #30144

Thanks Melody. It's [e-mail address]

Reply by Julie-MI on 4/7/05 10:33am
Msg #30146

I get a lot of these requests as two Canadian borders are just about in my backyard.

They have always been acknowledgements from the downloaded forms as my attorney said these forms are mostly "agreements" where the notary is acknowledging the identity of the signer (usually a parent or guardian opposed to affidavits.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/7/05 10:41am
Msg #30149

Thanks for your input Julie. I do apprecaite it!

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 4/7/05 11:13am
Msg #30151

I've done some of these for divorced couples.

In those cases it was a jurat, i.e., it included the non-traveling ex-spouse's statement regarding parenthood and allowing the traveling ex-spouse to take the minor child out of country. A little more detailed than usual; i.e., only going to Canada and time frame so that ex-spouse couldn't then easily take the minor child from Canada to another country.

Not legal advice, just letting you know what I have seen.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/7/05 11:50am
Msg #30163

Thank you,

Sylvia, Melody, Julie & Bobbi

Great Info!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.