Notary Rotary
Multiple Jobs: Near One Site
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by DallasNotary on 4/18/05 3:49pm
Msg #32493

Can anyone advise me about a notary job: I have been asked to do a notarization Downtown. I asked for $56 since it's Downtown. The client told me they might have more jobs in the same area, and I think this means they want me to park and do multiple notarizations. How much should I charge for each additional notarization that does not occur at the same site, but near enough that I don't have to repark? (Hope I'm making sense!) This client is not one who is going to want to pay a whole lot. I originally asked for $66 (inlcuded $10 for parking) but they didn't really like that, so I took off the parking fee. Thanks!

Reply by Joanne_SL on 4/18/05 4:45pm
Msg #32502

I would charge my full fee ($56 sounds darned cheap) for each notarization. If you charge a $10.00 parking fee, than I would only charge that once, but regardless, the full fee for each notarization.

Reply by ColleenCA on 4/18/05 4:48pm
Msg #32503

I agree. The full fee for each notarization! Way to go, this sounds like a great opportunity with multiple signings one right after the other.

Reply by Hampton/CA on 4/18/05 5:16pm
Msg #32509

I always set my fee for individual signings. All too often there's a glitch and you have to make a separate trip for the "discounted" signing.

Reply by DallasNotary on 4/18/05 5:23pm
Msg #32512

Thank you, Colleen! And I appreciate the advice (which I'm going to take!) Everyone seems to agree on this. Smiley

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/18/05 8:01pm
Msg #32533

I go to medical office buildings nearly every week and do medical affidavit notarizations. Normally, it is different litigation support firms sending me. I charge based on what the state says I can charge, plus a reasonable travel and time fee...maybe a little more depending on other services such as going to drop off at FEDEX, faxing a copy of records back, etc.

$50-$60 seems reasonable for the first one given it's downtown and you have to park. Think it over before you set your prices for those after the first one. When you are dealing with one hiring entity, they want to get a fee/price for your time included with a notary job.

Read your educational materials to see what they say regarding fees and be careful to quote the job from the perspective presented therein. When you are dealing with ONE hiring entity, I think they will be suspect if you charge them a full price for every job. But, that's just me...not giving legal advice...just tell you what I consider before I quote. (FEES Tex. Gov't. Code Ann. § 406.024 sets out the maximum fees a Notary Public, or their employer, may charge for notary public services. A Notary Public who charges more than the maximum set out below subjects the notary to possible criminal prosecution and suspension or revocation of the notary's notary public commission by the Secretary of State's office.--from our edu materials)

If I went to see Dr. Jones in Bryan, and I notarized three sets of three different patient's jobs in one fell swoop for XYZ Company...well...I'd charge $59 for all three. $35 for the first, $12, $12. 15 minutes and I'm outta there. Good wages, I'd say...but not too steep to defend.

However, if I walked next door to Dr. Smith's office and did a job for XYZ Company...it'd be at $25 because there is a degree of time/waiting/journal prep, etc. involved with changing offices, but obviously, not at the full fee of $35.

Yep...I think the hiring entity will expect a cut. They have a choice not to use you, but on occasion you may run into the "wingnut" who will make unnecessary trouble for you if you cannot defend your prices. (I know, I have met her and she's very unpleasant.)

Again, read your notary edu materials to get the full understanding of fees and the seriousness of overcharging...just try to keep yourself from getting into a pickle.

- - - -

Now, if you go to a site where you have multiple companies sending you to do the job and there are five to ten files from five to ten companies needing records notarized...I'd say do them each for $20-$25 and cite your invoicing, time, journal, record maintenance as justification for giving a price break over the usual $35. You did not charge any one company the full travel fee but gave a cut on the price across the board.

I like to keep my nose clean.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/18/05 8:08pm
Msg #32535

One final word...

These are prices for work OTHER than loan signing work that I am referring to.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/18/05 8:11pm
Msg #32536

I'm with Brenda (no surprise).

Your state Notary Manual or Handbook probably sets your fees per notarization. Don't get yourself into trouble by being greedy.

If one entity is paying for all the notarizations, and the notarizations are just taking place at different venues within the same general area, and it's going to be in-and-out at each one, then charge a light fee. If it will be a mass of paperwork at each place, and you have to introduce yourself at each place, and you have to set up a work area at each place, and you have to keep paperwork for FedEx, etc., then I'd say you should charge a heavier fee.

JMHO.

Reply by DallasNotary on 4/18/05 8:35pm
Msg #32542

That Makes Sense

Brenda and Ernest, you make sense. I was thinking I would charge $56 for the first, then, and $25 for each after that, as long as they're in the same general area. They will be from the same client, so that sounds fair, and I do want to establish a relationship with this company. They sent me on one other assignment just last week, so I like that they came right back to me. (Wish they'd hurry and call me back!) Smiley Thanks so much for your help!!!

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/18/05 8:45pm
Msg #32543

Re: That Makes Sense

Dallas said:

*I do want to establish a relationship with this company. They sent me on one other assignment just last week, so I like that they came right back to me. (Wish they'd hurry and call me back!)*

If you ever figure out how to get a lit support firm to develop a degree of loyalty with you, let me know. I have not been able to do it.

They do use NotaryRotary, however....and, I have had it straight from the horse's mouth (via another Texas Notary) who is employed with them that they usually go straight to the sites like this one to find notaries.

It works differently with lit support firms/lawyers (supposedly) than with signing services.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/18/05 8:49pm
Msg #32544

And, the point of that was...

Because I did not want you to be too disappointed if you don't hear back from them. I also think the turnover is high.

I get a lot of repeat business, but it's like they JUST found me and are so EXCITED to have made such a find! They are always going to PASS MY NAME AROUND...but never do.

Smiley

Reply by DallasNotary on 4/19/05 1:27am
Msg #32571

Re: And, the point of that was...

Yeah. You're probably right about that, Brenda. Thanks for the tips. Smiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.