Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Multiple Location Signing (Same County, Same Day)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Stephen_VA on 4/25/05 3:18pm
Msg #33834

Virginia law does not specifically state that the notarization must be completed at the exact time the oath or acknowledgement is taken. With that in mind, I have a signing tonight where I am going to one borrowers house and getting one set of signatures then taking the docs down the street just afterward and having the co-borrower sign.

It seems to be legal, and it would look cleaner since some blocks are preprinted with both names, to use one notary block and just sign it when the second person signs. However, is it customary or preferable to use a seperate certificate in this case? Which means I will have to cross out and initial the co-borrower from the first blocks. The dates and county in both instances will be the same.

Any suggestions?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/25/05 3:26pm
Msg #33836

Just remember you (may) need witnesses.

Are witnesses required? Will the witnesses be traveling also, or will you have two sets of witnesses? Just more to throw into the mix....

Reply by Anon on 4/25/05 3:30pm
Msg #33838

Seperate ...duh...and you dare criticize Knotaree

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/25/05 4:02pm
Msg #33851

Yes I do. I asked a question because there is an intricacy that is not addressed by training or the notary manual. Had I not received a cogent answer I would have done two because it is the safe answer.

If the people are together you can use one block, what is the difference between that situation and the one I described? From the standpoint of the notarization itself there isn't one. In other words, though the people are separate the notarization is still correct in all of its statements. They did appear before me, they did appear on that date, they did appear in that county, they did acknowledge that document. In addition to this the notary guide has no specific requirement about completing the notarization at that moment. The situation only becomes as clear as you want to make it sound when there is either a separation of days, counties or states.

I was just trying to ask a question about something that seemed to make sense one way, though I know the safe way to handle it was to use 2 certificates. This is a perfect example of what this board is best supposed to be for. You are a perfect example of the idiots that troll here. I was merely seeking a clarification of something that is a bit beyond the standard.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/25/05 4:04pm
Msg #33853

And have a good day, Nerfred.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/25/05 4:05pm
Msg #33855

I hope that my post about witnesses was not taken as smart-alecky or beside the point. Just trying to help. I found anon's post obnoxious.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/25/05 4:06pm
Msg #33857

Absolutely not. You were adding to the discussion and expanding the considerations for what I had asked. Virginia does not require witnesses, but that would certainly be a consideration in a state that does.

Reply by Brian on 4/25/05 3:43pm
Msg #33843

Be safe, fill out two. Then if it ever comes up, there is no question. Down the road if it is ever questioned you will know you did it this way for a reason, otherwise it will look like they were together. If you had to swear to it in a court of law you may not remember.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/25/05 4:14pm
Msg #33861

That was my reasoning that doing 2 was the safe course of action. Thank you for the input.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.