Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
My notary bag was stolen!!! help what do I do?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by CA,Notary on 4/26/05 12:31am
Msg #33942

After I completed a signing I dropped off the documents at the FedEx drop location and I placed my notary bag (locked) in the back of my car and went to run some errands and I locked my car however... the following morning I told my girls to clean out the car and I automatically assumed they would bring in my bag. But later that evening I asked them if they had taken out my bag and they said they did not even see it! I completely emptied out my car searching for this huge notary bag, but to no avail, I honestly think someone stole the bag out of my car! What do I do I have a signing Tomorrow evening? Fortunately I have my old stamp but my Journal??? Can someone give me some good advice?? Thanks All!

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/26/05 12:40am
Msg #33944

Immediately report it to the police!

Report it in each area where you stopped, as well as in your home town. Then report it to the office that granted you your Commission. Don't be shy! Do not be afraid of being blamed! You MUST warn the Secretary of State (or other state agency) that somebody has your stamp / seal.

The police may recover the items. If so, then notify your SoS that the stuff was recovered. The SoS may want you to replace the seal with one which looks different so that your original seal will be more likely to be detected.

If you kept a journal (and please tell us [not literally!] that you did), then there may be privacy issues with which you and the signers need to deal.

Good luck!

Reply by CA, Notary on 4/26/05 12:44am
Msg #33945

Re: Immediately report it to the police!

I did keep a journal, I will take your advice and report it... I am so sad! :o(.....
Thanks for your advice.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/26/05 12:48am
Msg #33947

I am assuming you have reported the loss to the police.
Then I believe you need to get in touch with the SOS notary division and report it to them, let them know the last journal entry information, so if someone has used your seal illegally, the SOS are aware of the last legal use of it. Call them first thing in the morning and ask their advice on whether you can do another notarization with your current information and start a new journal.

OK - the lost stamp and journal is covered in your manual. You do need to inform the SOS by certified mail. Looks like it is covered under Government code section 8206 and 8207.3

But read your manual to be sure you are doing the right thing.

Reply by CA, Notary on 4/26/05 12:53am
Msg #33948

Thanks I will do that!

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 4/26/05 1:03am
Msg #33950

Re: Your stamp

Well, I know this may vary in your state, however, according to WA when your seal/stamp is lost or stolen the department of licensing is to be notified by certified mail stating that the seal was lost/stolen. You then may obtain a replacement notary seal/stamp. The new seal/stamp **must contain some variance from the original**. Should you find the original seal/stamp, it must be surrendered to the department of licencing.

Obviously you should check your own CA laws...

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 4/26/05 8:32am
Msg #33968

Refer to the bottom of page 7 in your California notary Hand

book. If the sequentioal journal is stolen, lost, misplaced, destroyed, damaged or otherwise rendered unusealble, the notary publlic must IMMEDIATELY notify the Secretary of State by Certified or Registered Mail. The notification must include the periods of journal entries, the notary public commission number, the commission expiration date, and , when applicable a photocopy of the police report that lists the journal. ( Government Code Section 8206(b) )

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 4/26/05 8:41am
Msg #33972

PS. If the car was locked, how did they get in without

open a door or window. Did you notice the door open when you got in the car???? Perhaps, you thought you loaded it in the car, and missplaced it at your previous stop. I always carry two stamps, last week I was in a office, was sure I put the stamp back in my briefcase. When I got to my next stop, only 1 stamp. When I retraced my steps I remembered a loan officer who came into the closing room as I was packing up, and I must have laid the stamp down to answer his question. I hope you find it, as it will be a hassle to replace your journal, stamp, ect

Reply by Charm_AL on 4/26/05 9:06am
Msg #33978

she said the 'bag' was locked :)

Reply by Charm_AL on 4/26/05 9:07am
Msg #33980

nevermind..just re-read

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 4/26/05 11:54am
Msg #34036

Locking the bag and not the car

is like closing the gate after the cows got out:-)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.