Notary Rotary
Naming Your Business
Notary Discussion History

Naming Your Business
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Lee_CA on 4/28/05 12:27pm
Msg #34596

Naming Your Business

Has anyone here actually taken the time to think up of a name and bother with the fictitious business naming process?

I wonder if it'd be worth it. Do you think a notary would look any less professional without a business name? What are the benefits other then having really neat looking stationary?

Thanks!

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 4/28/05 12:55pm
Msg #34603

I personally think it makes your business look more professional, that is if you choose a professional name and not one of the cutsie little names. Also I believe you need a unique name when you obtain a business license, which is also a good idea for tax purposes when starting your own business.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 4/28/05 12:58pm
Msg #34605

Benefits of a business name:
*Really neat looking stationary
*A catchy business name that sticks in a customer's mind so they'll call again
*If you're listing in the yellow pages "A1 Notary" will be listed before "Lee Mobile Notary"
*24/7 Notary, gives people the idea of your availability

Benefits of using your name:
*If you speak a language other than English, it may benefit you to use your surname to spark calls from a particular ethnic group.
*People remember YOU and the work YOU did

I know those aren't too many examples, but they are the ones that are first and foremost in my mind when I was considering what to use. I think you need to think of who your target market is. If it's title companies and SS you may want to develop a more one-on-one relationship with individuals and you would want them to call you. If your market is the general public, you may feel it's more important to be on the top of the yellow page list.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/28/05 3:34pm
Msg #34647

Personally I chose to register an LLC using my name. I then registered service marks using the names that I intend to use for the other lines of business. It seemed less cumbersome overall because of the way that fictitious names are regulated and there are only a few situations that get tricky. It could be considered a benefit, but the checks need to be made to me personally. For most of what I do now that is fine, but in businesses that I've had in the past having a DBA name was more appropriate (or made me seem bigger than I was).

Reply by Lee_CA on 4/28/05 4:45pm
Msg #34662

Thanks Stephen. I'll have to keep that in mind. Good advice.

Cheers!

Reply by Joel CT on 4/29/05 1:55pm
Msg #34901

I run my own business in another field, and have a business name and am registered as an LLC. It works really well for the business, but as a notary, I take pride in my "Personally appeared before me, the undersigned officer" name.

My other business (safety consulting) entails dealing with many vendors and customers, sub contracting, selling... all that great business stuff. It needs legal distinction too. When I provide notorial services, it is very personal, and I am clearly personally liable for my work... no judge in the nation (except maybe the 9th circuit) would allow me to seperate notorial acts from my personal assets!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.